Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best option, leave them there with nothing connected.
Wait a couple of FW's then ask again.
Those that say they need them, inform them that they have been dumby knobs since FW xyz
Then remove as necessary

That would be a bit underhanded and not really Cliff's way of operating, in my observation...when you start going down that road, it gets to be a slippery slope, IMO.

The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

I personally don't use any of these....
feel free to eliminate

I'd like every pertinent options at my disposal when crafting a tone. Most of these parameters are very useful when tailoring a tone and not using the appropriate guitar (i.e. smooth Jazz tone) using a strat or tele or vice versa.

Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

...these are keepers.

but
I'm all for eliminating redundancy.......if it's there.

How about this?! 8) .....We can choose a few people we trust(least biased as humanly possible) to really adjust these parameters to find out which ones have the least audible changes in their sweep. Hopefully then we can at least eliminate 1-3 of these to make room for "Brilliance".

Some outstanding forum members that I trust with their knowledge of the Axe would be:
Simeon, Chef , Groovenut, fremen (I apologize ahead to these members now, if they feel obligated or don't have the time for this experiment). It would be great even if some Beta-Testers could join in! For example, Yek or Scott.....

Last edited:
I have to say, in my quests I've spent many a minute turning virtual knobs in the axe and wondering "Whatever is changing now? I can't hear anything changing? It's supposed to do something... Either on good headphones or on reasonable monitors. Some params say they need high master vol, I usually have that pretty high... Still can't hear it. Can't say off the top of my head which params that would be.

I've resigned to thinking my hearing isn't as good as it used to be... But still I hear things I want different.

So I'm confused on what to vote for.

I would like some parameters that would give me what I would like to hear.

Those that say they need them, inform them that they have been dumby knobs since FW xyz
Then remove as necessary

From where I'm standing, this would be a very unwise a$$hole maneuver. I hope you aren't serious. Lets say your wife just decided to take money out of your bank account without noting it in your checkbook, just to see if you noticed...

From where I'm standing, this would be a very unwise a$$hole maneuver. I hope you aren't serious. Lets say your wife just decided to take money out of your bank account without noting it in your checkbook, just to see if you noticed...

Are you serious? That was just a joke...and a funny one...

I use character in all my ac30tb presets. What would instead? I havent actually figured out what it does, but i fine that setting it at -3/-5 with freq set at 2.5k/3.5k sounds more like a vox to me

Voicing is just EQ. You can duplicate it with any of the EQ resources. It's not a big deal to keep it in there though. I was just trying to simplify things a bit.

For voicing, what about adding a parameter to an EQ block that selects presets for each of the various voicing elements?

I realize that just moves the issue somewhere else, but it also provides a path for users to learn what EQ settings create the various voicing choices.

I sure would like to keep the parameters that tweak the guts of the amp model. The character controls are my favorite amp modding tool.

Voicing is just EQ. You can duplicate it with any of the EQ resources.

It would make perfect sense to me to eliminate parameters that are literally redundant to make room for parameters that do stuff you can't do at the moment.

I used to keep the Presence on my Triaxis fairly low. This gave a very focused lead tone that cut but wasn't harsh.

Me too, presence at 2.0 or so. I don't think I ever went over 4.0.

More options is always better, but if it will have technical advantages like cpu utilization or code simplicity, I can forget about thunk, since UR succeeds at that area as far is I heard :)

I remember a post from a long time ago.
This guy was so excited about the new parameters that were added.
He started tweaking and marveled at what they added to the sound
'till he lay in bed, thinking about the new update...
He jumped pout of bed, looked at the Axe-fx and the Axe-edit.
It seemed he had only updated Axe-edit and not the Axe-Fx so he was tweaking parameters that weren't there

At the time I thought it was very brave of him to post this.
How many of us haven't been turning on knobs on something that wasn't even in the signal chain?
Then remove as necessary
So this would be a cool experiment just to see what the results would be.
Just like a double blind test with a real parameter and a placebo ;-)

I've resigned to thinking my hearing isn't as good as it used to be... But still I hear things I want different.
I think your hearing is fine but you're nut that susceptible to being influenced what your eyes see.
You trust your ears.
I've done the same thing.
Twiddle at parameters without looking at them and trying to hear a difference.
A lot of parameters did nothing for me so I saty away from those.
i can do most with the basic parameters.
Except for Bright Cap value, Power Tube Bias and the Resonance parameters (mostly those Cliff gave a detailed explanation about), I don't touch any of the advanced parameters.

Since I am not home right now, Amp Voicing = "Vintage, Modern, ...." options? Can you explain how to get these effects using other controls? That is usually the first thing I change when I select an amp.

Different firmware types? I'd be happy without them I think. Less to look at could be nice for a change. Simple Firmware 14 and advanced Firmware 14 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom