Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Agreed. Of all the parameters listed, the only one I ever adjust is Thunk.

I use thunk but have starting switching to Null mic and bumping the proximity instead.

I think forum member "grape" has got the best idea. Lets find out what exactly it is we are losing and what to use for a replacement.

I don't even understand what half of them do, let alone use them. I haven't touched the voicing param since FW 6/7. I just pick a good IR and tweak the first 4 pages. Job done.

I've never really been able to figure out what they do so I for one won't miss them

I have tried amp voicing, but generally if I want darker etc, I will do it with the EQ to have a bit more control.

I kind of like having a great sounding amp with real world controls to adjust and if that doesn't do the trick, then I try a different amp. Just don't really have a real desire to get quite so "under the hood" to the degree that is possible with some of the controls

As the Axe's modeling is refined, more and more users drift toward the basic parameters. There's no denying the usefulness of dialing in your sound quickly, with most of the decisions made for you. But I think there will always be a core of users who enjoy having the full pallet of controls a their disposal. They offer a level of refinement and creativity that the basic controls don't.

The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

i neve rused any of them besides DYNAMICS, i can't imagine not having this parameter...

Making room for a knob is a different issue, I think. You could bump an existing parameter off of a page and still retain it on the advanced page.

I make use of those "endangered" parameters to enhance qualities of the tone in ways that I couldn't touch with a real amp. If realism is the only goal, then I guess maybe they're redundant. But if your goals lie beyond those confines, those parameters are important.

The real appeal of the Axe for me is the flexibility it offers - in every way. It's all of the effects, all of the routing options, and all of the configurability of the unit that makes me never regret purchasing it.

I've been thinking about this lately:

The Kemper appeals to me for its simplicity. Buy the box & some great profiles from TAF and you've got great amp sounds & most of the standard effects are covered, too. As long as you like the effects and can work within the parameters exposed to you, you're good to go.

The Axe appeals to me because I can go beyond the basics if I want. There are lots of parameters that I haven't fiddled with, but I have used a bunch of them & I'm always glad they are there. I always feel like you can "get there" with this box, no matter where "there" is.

Yek made a great point with an 'easy' skin Axe Edit.

If Fractal made a toggle on Axe Edit with an 'Easy' and 'Advanced' button for us not advanced people. :)

You could ditch the advanced options, like the ones in the original post and leave the basics for the 'Easy' option.

Just a suggestion, but why not combine certain settings of those advanced parameters into different parameter presets?
Most users either don't use them or don't even know what they do. But it would still be nice to have them effects they provide for those few power users.

So some kind of second "voicing" parameter that lets you select general settings for all those parameters combined? Like "High Picking Dynamics" or "Huge Balls".
Then we can just skip through those settings and take the one we like by ear.

Another idea would be re-arranging the amp parameters depending on the importance. I always felt it was weird that some important parameters where listed in the advanced tabs, whereas a lot of the special sauce parameters are easy-access.

I think the best way to arrange the amp block would be:

amp selection page,
"Control" page (you have Depth, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, whereas A,B,C,D knobs change Gain/Input Trim, Drive, Master Volume, Level kind of like in the amp selection page),
Mix/Input (also contains things like channel selection),
The Post-EQ,
Advanced Parameters

It's weird that the Post-EQ and the Mix section of the amp block are so far "down the hill". Especially since a lot of users need the panning control of the mix page and the bypass mode for Stereo-Amping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom