Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Just a quick interjection if it may help anybody:

Another way to think about the mix voicings is vaguely similar, but not exact, to how my V1/V2 libraries are laid out with numbers where as you go from 1 to 5 you go from brightest to darkest (also loosely applicable descriptors):

Studio-Modern = 1 = Brightest
Studio-Vintage = 2 = Brighter
Median = 3 = Middle
Live-Modern = 4 = Darker
Live-Vintage = 5 = Darkest

In the end, everything from your fingers moving all the way around and back to the waves hitting your ears will change what the IR interacts with and what it does to the sound, as such there are no invariable ways to describe exactly what one file will do with a set of different kinds of tones and all you can do is experiment. Experimenting with a knowledge of what you're working with, a good process of elimination, and a system that makes it quick will ease the pain significantly. Taking breaks every few minutes will help it not all meld together. If one has never heard of or heard sounds from a particular cab, speaker, mic, etc, then the only thing to do is give it a whirl. Even then, these things vary in sound from unit to unit, especially the older they get.

I see a lot of guys spending a good amount of time and effort in the forums asking questions, where in the time it took to do that they may have been able to get some hands on time listening to everything and getting first hand experience rather than second hand. Discussion amongst peers is a fantastic, but sometimes that may not translate at all given the bazillion x-factors that change from that person's experience to your own. People see the colors on the canvas in different ways, and they want them to do different things for the imagery they envision. Again I think group discussion is great and this community is downright stellar, especially when going into something blind and helps to promote ideas of things to try when jumping in, and in the end it's all how you make the tools work for you. With these mix libraries I'm trying to take as much of the guesswork and tinkering out as possible, but I will never be able to do something that as-is will be perfect for everybody. I do try to get as close as I can within a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of files though.

Also, if at all possible, putting a computer somewhere in line that you can use a convolution reverb loader to rapid fire through the files is the best way to go in my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Taking breaks every few minutes will help it not all meld together.

Essential for me. After listening to distorted electric guitar for extended periods without a break, I sometimes wonder how I ever gravitated toward it in the first place. Take a break...come back...and it is again obvious why I did.

Studio-Modern = 1 = Brightest
Studio-Vintage = 2 = Brighter
Median = 3 = Middle
Live-Modern = 4 = Darker
Live-Vintage = 5 = Darkest

Good stuff!

Also, if at all possible, putting a computer somewhere in line that you can use a convolution reverb loader to rapid fire through the files is the best way to go in my opinion. :)

I think it's important to keep in mind that we (IMHO) "hear" our tones differently when we play, as opposed to when we listen to a recording of ourselves. Playing and listening at the same time adds "feel" to the equation (response of the guitar / Axe). Simply listening gives our minds complete freedom to listen, since even the act of playing something draws part of our attention away from listening.

I like Kevin's idea of recording a phrase with the IR bypassed in the Axe, and then flipping speaker IR's in the DAW as you play the phrase back.

Terry.

Agree completely!

For whatever it may be worth, I have a Cubase session set up where I have both available. I've got some different riff's pre-recorded with different tones/styles on different tracks, and also another channel that's set up for live monitoring of my setup. I just solo what I want and bam, right there in real time. This way I can step outside my playing when it may benefit to do so, then also listen as I play to hear the reaction and feel. I can also record the live playback and add it to the pile if I want as well. I would recommend everybody do this if possible, things have been so much better since setting up that template playback session for me when tweaking things. If one had the config set up, one could route the interface or audio out directly to a live rig and do this at 'volume' as well. :)

... or as "cobbler" has suggested many times over... use the looper before the amp block (or after, before the cab block for IR's). That way you can forget all about the playing and attend to listening to the tone(s)of the amp sim(s)/IR(s) for quicker discernment. I find the same thing as well that it's hard to concentrate and be objective on the tone while you're playing. :bi_polo: :D

As an example of an IR that lacks the "comb filtered" properties that I'm talking about, consider the IR for the Palmer speaker simulator:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/75257-palmer-pdi-09-irs.html

The "normal" version is pretty much devoid of this comby sound. But it sounds flat. When I mix this IR in with some of the new OH IRs, I get a result that I really like. I can use the Palmer (or Hughes and Kettner Red Box IRs) to smooth out the coloration of the more intense IRs. I'm really liking how some of these OH IR's sound this way. Perhaps it's like putting ketchup on steak, but I like it.

Just tried the above "trick" and found it extremely useful. Especially for playing loud=live
Tried it with both OH and the Producer Packs and got good results.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, dear friends,
I am new user in use of new cabs, and I would like to know how it works with Ownhammer series.
I am interested by Bogner 4X12, someone does it already tested?
thank you in advance.

When using these Ownhammer cabs are you supposed to turn the mic section of the cab block? Also, is there somewhere that has a description of each speaker used. I feel overwhelmed with all of the options.

Yes - mic modeling is OFF. The mic's (and mic preamps) are 'baked-into' the IR itself.

Details are in the manual (link on this page): 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection - $19.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store
and this one: 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Vintage Speaker Collection - $19.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store

Kevin from Own Hammer just released the first two MIX collection bundles on his (thankfully) revamped website. Studio Mix Libraries : OwnHammer.com - Store

You get 15 speakers per bundle. The first two bundles of MIX IR's are all from a 1970's Checkerboard Marshall 412. His plan is to do the same speakers (all 30 of them) in different cabinets as he goes. How much? How about $19 a bundle. That is an outstanding (!) value of the highest order.

Can you pay with Paypal or do you have to use a credit card?

Last edited:
paypal.

You basically have to register on their site, i.e. set up a user name and password (see 'my account' near the top left of the website). Once you purchase a set, log in, and it will all be right there

Thanks!

Edit: Dec 10: Kevin's great customer service is appreciated. Just bought and downloaded both the Modern and Vintage Mix Bundles.
I guess I will find out soon why everyone seems to likes them so much.

Last edited:
Scott have you put together mixes with the new IR's?

There are some "SP" mixes included from ownhammer when you purchase the 1x12 bundle.

Yes - Kevin is now bundling my mixes with the speaker collections and will be adding my mixes to the existing two Studio Mix Libraries also. I like them, hope you do too. They sound good live and in the studio.

I'll be taking a day sometime between Christmas and New Year to go to the two Marshall MIX libraries to add the SP mixes, as well as update all of the Axe-II IR's to the newest SysEx version (via Cab Lab; current files are the output of aomDSP). :)

Back
Top Bottom