Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

With the comb filtering comment--haven't noticed that here either, but one thing I thought might be worth mentioning in case it happened to be in play here. I've noticed if you use two cabs in a preset and one of them has a 'non zero' motor drive setting and the the other has motor drive on 'zero' it can introduce weirdnesses--With both cabs motor drive "on" or both cabs motor dive "off" no problem... Has made me think that the motor drive processing may introduce a slight delay....Anyway, probably not the issue, but you never know...

With the comb filtering comment--haven't noticed that here either, but one thing I thought might be worth mentioning in case it happened to be in play here. I've noticed if you use two cabs in a preset and one of them has a 'non zero' motor drive setting and the the other has motor drive on 'zero' it can introduce weirdnesses--With both cabs motor drive "on" or both cabs motor dive "off" no problem... Has made me think that the motor drive processing may introduce a slight delay....Anyway, probably not the issue, but you never know...

Hmmm. That'd be a bug? Interesting.

I do not use two cab blocks in any of my presets and I turn the motor drive to zero in all cases FWIW. That may be why I have not encountered that issue.

not two days ago i acquire the Modern pack and WOW, love it more then the Vintage, but the two complement each other extremely well!

I've now auditioned every IR in the Vintage bundle. I think there are about 20 I like. So, that's less than a dollar an IR. I still think that's a good value. I can't say that they slay the existing cabs. There are great stock cabs and awful stock cabs. This bundle has a few that I like and many I don't.

I'm finding that the IR seeking process is one of sheer numbers; trying hundreds upon hundreds searching for the very few that really blow me away. So be it. If they are reasonably priced (as the OH bundles are), then the value is still there.

I will say that, having seen how much time it takes to just audition the bundle, I can start to appreciate just how much work actually creating them must have been.

I will probably buy the Modern bundle as well. If I find another 20 I like, I'll be more than satisfied.

I've now auditioned every IR in the Vintage bundle. I think there are about 20 I like. So, that's less than a dollar an IR. I still think that's a good value. I can't say that they slay the existing cabs. There are great stock cabs and awful stock cabs. This bundle has a few that I like and many I don't.

I'm finding that the IR seeking process is one of sheer numbers; trying hundreds upon hundreds searching for the very few that really blow me away. So be it. If they are reasonably priced (as the OH bundles are), then the value is still there.

I will say that, having seen how much time it takes to just audition the bundle, I can start to appreciate just how much work actually creating them must have been.

I will probably buy the Modern bundle as well. If I find another 20 I like, I'll be more than satisfied.

I wouldn't approach them like that; it'd be frustrating.

I would suggest you just try the median mix versions (in the three flavors - SS/T1/T2). If you like one of them, then move on to the Studio/Live and Vintage/Modern selections.

What I have found is that I prefer the T2 Studio Modern the most; the T1 Studio Modern the second most overall on speakers I like/want/use as single IR's.

I do go further and create my own mixes with the IR's from the "Mic" folder with the SM57/R121 combination; but that's me. Beyond that, I like to use complimentary speakers with each other - like the M-BB-55 mixed with the H-PR-55 for Marshall tones. That's when it gets fun.

I'd not just listen to them all; that's not fun. Playing guitar should be fun, not drudgery.

Not fun is an understatement. But I can't know what an IR sounds like unless I hear it, and I wanted to hear them all. It's done.

The only real drag was loading them in using Fractal Bot. Is there any way to load user IRs in large groups rather than one at a time?

Not fun is an understatement. But I can't know what an IR sounds like unless I hear it, and I wanted to hear them all. It's done.

The only real drag was loading them in using Fractal Bot. Is there any way to load user IRs in large groups rather than one at a time?

Currently not.

I would suggest you just try the median mix versions (in the three flavors - SS/T1/T2). If you like one of them, then move on to the Studio/Live and Vintage/Modern selections.

What I have found is that I prefer the T2 Studio Modern the most; the T1 Studio Modern the second most overall on speakers I like/want/use as single IR's.

I do go further and create my own mixes with the IR's from the "Mic" folder with the SM57/R121 combination; but that's me. Beyond that, I like to use complimentary speakers with each other - like the M-BB-55 mixed with the H-PR-55 for Marshall tones. That's when it gets fun.

I'd not just listen to them all; that's not fun. Playing guitar should be fun, not drudgery.

Notice you and Yek mention mixing the 121 and the 57. I have the Vintage pack, if I understood Yek's post and possibly yours, are you running a stereo cab? If so, how are you creating the mixes of the 2 mics?
Yek mentions running 2 different speakers, each with 2 mics. I know how to set up stereo cab, 2 speakers each with a mic choice. Are you mixing your own IR blend and if so, how?
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't found the commonality between the different groupings that you have. To me, the "vintage", "modern", "studio", and "live" labels help me remember which IR I auditioned, but they don't really tell me what to expect from it. To a degree, yes, but ultimately I have to hear the IR. I wouldn't want to miss one that I love based on a label.

Part of the whole process of guitar playing for me is drudgery. I hate learning songs. I love to play them, but I hate learning them. Sometimes the quest for tone is a drag. But I do it because the final result is worth the effort. I'd rather sift through hundreds of IRs than try to mic up a cab myself. That was one of my least favorite activities.

And if you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further...

These Ownhammer Mix IR's, both Vintage and Modern are really fantastic... totally digging them!!

I finally got to spend several hrs with them yesterday listening and A/B ing, one of the most fun tweaking experiences you can have!!

Thanks for the head's up!!

Last edited:
I've just bought both packs and not had a chance to try many, but the ones I have tried are astounding. They really do open up the sound and I'm looking forward to spending some more time experimenting. I would recommend these to anyone with an AxeFX.

What is the difference between the modern and vintage packs? Just the age of each speaker? I'm mainly looking to check out the G12T-75 speaker and modern has a "T75-RI" while vintage has a "T75-SS".

The T75-RI (modern pack) is a newer speaker while the T75-SS (vintage pack) is the "skunk stripe" G12T-75 from the early-mid 90's

I haven't found the commonality between the different groupings that you have. To me, the "vintage", "modern", "studio", and "live" labels help me remember which IR I auditioned, but they don't really tell me what to expect from it. To a degree, yes, but ultimately I have to hear the IR. I wouldn't want to miss one that I love based on a label.

Part of the whole process of guitar playing for me is drudgery. I hate learning songs. I love to play them, but I hate learning them. Sometimes the quest for tone is a drag. But I do it because the final result is worth the effort. I'd rather sift through hundreds of IRs than try to mic up a cab myself. That was one of my least favorite activities.

The key is to read the manual (it's free to download on his site under the 'store' and 'mix packs' if you don't have it).

He basically uses different mic selections based on different purposes and techniques. For instance, the "Modern Studio" is a top producer's (not sure I can name him) preferred SM57/R121 mix. The tangible differences are detailed out; that might take some of the fog about what they are away if you read it.

I just listened to a recording we did for our Christmas Eve service. I had just installed 9.02 at that time. My first performance with SCENES. No producer packs, no MIMIC - still awesome. And look how far we've come since December. WOW. Just WOOOOOWWWW!!!

Thanks Fractal TEAM!

Back
Top Bottom