One speaker to rule them all...

andersen

Inspired
Hi there.. newbie question (sorry): I'm getting the axe soon, and i wanna setup a home recording studio. I'm looking to buy an active speaker for the axe (FRFR). But i also had in mind to get some decent studio monitors for the iMac. So........ Is there like on kind of speaker solution to fit both my needs??

How about suggestions of really good FRFR monitors that would fit on a desk and have some humph at room level? No gigging/jamming, just recording and composing. And loud enough to get some interplay with the guitar going, i.e. feedback. Is that even possible? Or are CLRs the only way to go?

How about suggestions of really good FRFR monitors that would fit on a desk and have some humph at room level? No gigging/jamming, just recording and composing. And loud enough to get some interplay with the guitar going, i.e. feedback. Is that even possible? Or are CLRs the only way to go?

I got a pair of Equator D5's. Coax design, great price point and my tone tweaks transfer well to other systems.

+1 - but... at 500w ea, that's way overkill for a home studio - IMHO. There's lots of threads on the forum about which home studio monitors are best.. it boils down to budget and personal preference. Do a search.

PS: I would use the CLR's for live use..tho' :)

Hi there.. newbie question (sorry): I'm getting the axe soon, and i wanna setup a home recording studio. I'm looking to buy an active speaker for the axe (FRFR). But i also had in mind to get some decent studio monitors for the iMac. So........ Is there like on kind of speaker solution to fit both my needs??

If you have the space/room for it 2 CLR's are indeed a great choice, even if you'll only use them at home.

If you are also gigging the CLR's are IMHO a no-brainer, just get them.

If room size or girlfriend/wife acceptance factor rules the CLR's out -and you want to keep your girlfriend/wife- then look into a set of quality studio monitors.
Plenty to choose from, do some research and go listen to as many as you can to see which ones you like.
In the prosumer price range I like the Dynaudio stuff, others will have other faves.

RB

The CLR is IMHO the ultimate trump card at this time for double duty; but it's wicked overkill for a 10'x12' studio.

That said, if you want 'one to rule all' the CLR will be up to any task. IMHO.

XiTone Cab + Axe FX II Quick Test - YouTube

I am waiting for mine right now as I ordered one in custom colors and have a studio about the size you mentioned. 1x12 Active Wedge. Can't wait!!!

Once I get it and play around I will post a youtube with my playing through it with different presets and guitars to give you an idea of what it would sound like for you.

I don't use my setup for studio home recordings or monitoring so I cannot comment with respect to those applications.... but for gigging that is another matter.

I "owned" both the Atomic Active CLR cab and the Matrix GT1000FX/Q12 combination.

For live gig use (no FOH/no monitoring - just amp) -- for me the choice was pretty obvious. Matrix/Q12 stayed -- CLR was sent packing.

Last edited:
Definitely the CLRs. They are very flat and accurate in the midrange. I'm posting a review soon but compared to my ATC100A monitors which are very high end they perform extremely well. Matrix is good for live playing but how flat and accurate they are for studio purposes is unknown. I suspect they may not be flat in the bass region so you might get funny things happening to your bass such as too little. The CLR reveal all the frequencies accurately so for studio monitoring they are ideal if you can mount them appropriately with enough space.

Mystery Active Cab with Axe FX II - YouTube

The "secret" cab is the Xitone 1x12 Active wedge. This is another Wallimann vid where he plays through the Xitone, a CLR and a Combo amp. Too bad it's so short, but between the link I posted above and this one, I was sold on the XiTone. Smaller footprint and lighter for old farts like me in small spaces.

Mystery Active Cab with Axe FX II - YouTube

The "secret" cab is the Xitone 1x12 Active wedge. This is another Wallimann vid where he plays through the Xitone, a CLR and a Combo amp. Too bad it's so short, but between the link I posted above and this one, I was sold on the XiTone. Smaller footprint and lighter for old farts like me in small spaces.

That's a Reactor from Atomic... *not* a CLR. Very different beasts.

Back
Top Bottom