OMG 9 without FC-6: How to use the 3 switches by themselves

Noticed an oddity while woodshedding last night.

Went up by 2 banks to a preset, all cool, all presets as expected, 1 > 2 > 3.

However, coming back down it skipped alternate banks, that is it went 3 > 1. Surprised me, I tried it a few times. Behaves the same going further up as well, then back down.

It was ok going back up again, so I have a workaround to get to the preset I wanted, but is this normal or did I do something wrong? It is set for 6 banks as required and I start at layout 4, FM3 Only.

It wouldn't be an issue doing a setlist, as I just go up in sequence and do not go back and forth, but if I should need to jump around it may require some extra presses (oh, the horror!) to get to the preset I want.

Yes, unfortunately that’s the side effect of using bank size 6 when there’s only 3 switches.
If one uses the FM3 without ever using an FC6 then this is not needed
But to be able to operate with the FC6 in bank size 6 mode, there’s no alternative that I found.
If there was a +1/2 bank up option, that would also work, but that does not exist.
You’re welcome to try to come up with a better scheme. I’d love to see some contributions to this layout system.

Yes, unfortunately that’s the side effect of using bank size 6 when there’s only 3 switches.
If one uses the FM3 without ever using an FC6 then this is not needed
But to be able to operate with the FC6 in bank size 6 mode, there’s no alternative that I found.
If there was a +1/2 bank up option, that would also work, but that does not exist.
You’re welcome to try to come up with a better scheme. I’d love to see some contributions to this layout system.
Not a big deal for me to change to the appropriate bank size for whatever configuration I choose to use. :cool:

Yes it can be. Because you need a computer to reload the layouts if you change back size. If it were just changing the bank size it’d be a breeze. But remember that when you go from 6 to 3, the presets 4-6 all become Preset 3.
It sucks but I could not prevail to have this behavior modified.

Yes it can be. Because you need a computer to reload the layouts if you change back size. If it were just changing the bank size it’d be a breeze. But remember that when you go from 6 to 3, the presets 4-6 all become Preset 3.
It sucks but I could not prevail to have this behavior modified.
Yep thats right. Oh well I can live with it, like I said it's ok for rehearsal and gigging with a setlist.

Thanks! 👍

Im blown away by the functionality of just the 3 switches. I've had my FM3 since Aug' 2022 and in Sept, I got an FC-6. seriously, we are spoilt with the amount of switching possibilities. After using this on my live streams for a few months now, several other people I know have bought an FM3 and each time they do (on my recommendation) I show them the layout/per-preset switching options, and they are just left open mouthed. "How can I go back to anything else now?" is usually the reply.
OMG3 is catching my attention right now, and I must go check this out, if only for curiousity's sake!
Being able to change the bank size from 1 to 12 is a great feature, it's been talked about in a few posts on here.
For me, being able to come up with my own layouts and export them, then load different ones based on what I need, is just mind blowing.

Slightly, off-topic, although still "On topic" I'm having trouble getting the FC6 to populate right.. let me explain..
I've tried the OMG9 and OMG3 layouts, and understand how it all works, but I seem to be missing something.
I've setup Scene 4 to be my "Home" scene, on the FM3 I have 1-presets 2-scenes 3-effects with a hold on 1 + 3 for the tuner and a preset+layer link to my looping preset.
whenever I press any of them, it goes to the new layout, but fails to populate 1,2,3,4,5,6 on my FC6.. so odd.
I'd like to have my own take on this OMG9 where i do it myself and have a separate layout for each section. it works better with my tiny brain.
any ideas fractal people?

Slightly, off-topic, although still "On topic" I'm having trouble getting the FC6 to populate right.. let me explain..
I've tried the OMG9 and OMG3 layouts, and understand how it all works, but I seem to be missing something.
I've setup Scene 4 to be my "Home" scene, on the FM3 I have 1-presets 2-scenes 3-effects with a hold on 1 + 3 for the tuner and a preset+layer link to my looping preset.
whenever I press any of them, it goes to the new layout, but fails to populate 1,2,3,4,5,6 on my FC6.. so odd.
I'd like to have my own take on this OMG9 where i do it myself and have a separate layout for each section. it works better with my tiny brain.
any ideas fractal people?
doh! - ok solved it. it would help if I added Layout Links for the FC-6 too..

Have read this entire thread several times . . . great stuff Patzag - thank you for this!! I was fretting over how I would make the FM3 work for live performances with only 3 footswitches (in fact I'm still using my AX8s for live shows... FM3 is still only a bedroom unit right now), so I thought I might need to spring for an FC-6 ... but I was dreading that thought because the whole reason I got the FM3 was for its portability. If I had to add an FC-6, I would rather just get the FM9 and gain the extra blocks and horsepower! But this OMG3 setup looks like it could be my saving grace.

My question is: If I have no intention of ever getting an FC-6 (so I would never need OMG9), would it be better/cleaner/easier to just load the 3 Layout files in the OP (4,6 & 7), and then just keep my bank size at 3 and not load the "OMG3 - BankSize 6.fclayout"? From what I've read this seems to be the case, I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand anything, and that there's no other functionality I'd be missing by not installing BankSize6 layout (apart from FC-6/OMG9 compatibility)?

I believe not loading OMG9 would leave me room in the layouts to add a (nice & portable) dual foot switch too? I read here someone referencing the Mosky switch ... is this the "go-to" switch most of you are using? Thanks!

Have read this entire thread several times . . . great stuff Patzag - thank you for this!! I was fretting over how I would make the FM3 work for live performances with only 3 footswitches (in fact I'm still using my AX8s for live shows... FM3 is still only a bedroom unit right now), so I thought I might need to spring for an FC-6 ... but I was dreading that thought because the whole reason I got the FM3 was for its portability. If I had to add an FC-6, I would rather just get the FM9 and gain the extra blocks and horsepower! But this OMG3 setup looks like it could be my saving grace.

My question is: If I have no intention of ever getting an FC-6 (so I would never need OMG9), would it be better/cleaner/easier to just load the 3 Layout files in the OP (4,6 & 7), and then just keep my bank size at 3 and not load the "OMG3 - BankSize 6.fclayout"? From what I've read this seems to be the case, I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand anything, and that there's no other functionality I'd be missing by not installing BankSize6 layout (apart from FC-6/OMG9 compatibility)?

I believe not loading OMG9 would leave me room in the layouts to add a (nice & portable) dual foot switch too? I read here someone referencing the Mosky switch ... is this the "go-to" switch most of you are using? Thanks!
You are correct.
Honestly I'm not using the FM3 these days so I'm a little out of touch with it, but in essence yes. Using Bank Size 3 is more fitting and elegant if you're not using the FC6. And yes, it's amazing how much flexibility is available from only three switches!

As a note, I have the mosky switch too and don't use it. If I did, I'd set it for looper start/stop so I can keep my scenes or effects in view and use the looper. But that's me.

Enjoy.

That is amazing. Just i have one problem, i can't to go from layout 6 to the layout 7 with the switches. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

That is amazing. Just i have one problem, i can't to go from layout 6 to the layout 7 with the switches. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?
You can't. Go Home first by long-pressing switch 2, then Scenes THEN you can go to More Scenes (Layout 7).
Or if you're trying to go to the Utility page, Press Home THEN Long Press Switch 1 (If I recall Correctly!?!?!)

Back
Top Bottom