Okay, guess this one

This is exactly why I love Cliff and Fractal - he's so into it and always pushing the envelope.

+1

This is why I bought the Axe FX II as well. Cliff hasn't stood still like everyone else has. Way to go Cliff! Even if the Axe can't replicate the sound of an amp 100% at the moment, I know Cliff won't stop until it will.

I had an epiphany yesterday and was up until 1:00 am coding new B+ and screen grid modeling. I think I've nailed the last missing element.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/plexi_match.mp3

pulling-hair-out.jpg

Epiphanies??... Cliff... you're really starting to freak me out man... KEEP IT UP!! :D ... can't wait!

I guessed that the AxeFX was the first half... Pretty cool when the AxeFX can sound BETTER than the real thing ! :)

when you get this close how do you know what is missing?

Without knowing anything about this stuff it seems weird how can you relate the schematic to what might be missing soundwise

Although I do hear a slight difference specially on chords, these clips are fantastic

Ok, got to admit...

Haven't been bothered with firmware updates since 5.07 (which i still use). I have a very few but special sounds i care for (based on plexi and Twin) and i was happy even since the 2.xx firmware.

But listening to this clip, i am telling you, i WILL bother updating to v7 (and no, even this clip has too much gain for my needs but i can very well see the potentials)...

Well done Cliff! ;)

PS: Now let us hear a clip using the plexi demonstrating the dynamics of the beast (no vol adjustments- yeah i am afraid you'll have to use a low output pup-, just using your right hand) :twisted ...

This is the first time I've heard a clip where I can honestly say that going in blind, I liked the tone that turned out to be the AxeFx better. Whatever you did, it's working Cliff! Seriously man, thank you for all the work and the most kick ass piece of gear ever!

+1

This is why I bought the Axe FX II as well. Cliff hasn't stood still like everyone else has. Way to go Cliff! Even if the Axe can't replicate the sound of an amp 100% at the moment, I know Cliff won't stop until it will.
This clip is proof that the Axe FxII sounds better than the real thing and it's only the beginning it will go on a higher level than tubes.

The B+ and screen grid calculations. It's a very complex modeling problem. When the supply sags the power tubes clip earlier but the gain of the tube is unaffected. However, the plate current is a function of the control and screen grids. The screen grid is derived from the B+, either through a resistor or a choke, so ultimately the gain IS affected by the supply but not directly.

You know, my wife and I were chatting over a bowl of granola, fruit and coffee this morning when she said to me "Honey, pick up some milk on your way home tonight, and by the way I think the gain on your amps is being impacted by your supply, but it's got something to do with the B+ and screen grid calculations so I'm not exactly sure how or why. Now give me smoochies and have a good day at work".

Life is full of odd coincidences.

The B+ and screen grid calculations. It's a very complex modeling problem. When the supply sags the power tubes clip earlier but the gain of the tube is unaffected. However, the plate current is a function of the control and screen grids. The screen grid is derived from the B+, either through a resistor or a choke, so ultimately the gain IS affected by the supply but not directly.
You know, I thought that was what I heard in those other clips, but I figured it would mean more to you if I let you figure it out on your own.

;)

I'm just mad because I'm at work and can't hear the clips yet.

The 1st part of the clip sounds like it's breaking up *slightly* more than the 2nd part of the clip. Or maybe the 1st half of the clip is breaking up in exactly the same way as the 2nd half, but its treble extends into a slightly higher frequency range.

That said, I like the first half of the clip better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom