not sure about the new delay mix law

Sorry if this is off topic

I have a show tonight and I'm not sure if I should update to 11 because of the new delay mix.

I have some presets with delay in series. Does this mean that with firmware 11 these presets will be louder?

thanks

Shame there wasn't a way to turn on/off the new delay mix law in the global menu.

Yes there should be a choice between old and new style dry/mix. Have to say I like the idea of not having to adjust the level of delay when the mix is higher or lower and like it that you are not 'forced' to put it parallel. But I am afraid to update now this weekend because of this. Like Simeon I am a delay freak too and almost all my patches include multiple delays which are precisely adjusted with the mix levels. Having to adjust all this in more then 90 presets is a PITA. Is this new dry/mix thing also for the Multidelay and Megatap and Reverb in FW11? would make sense to do it in these blocks also...

moving back to an older FW is also not practical since Axe Edit 3.0 is not working on that.

Yes, the wet:dry ratios are 10:90 and 23:77, i.e. wet level is 11.1% to 29.9% of the dry level. Take half of those percentages to get the new mix settings: around 5.5% and 15%.

do you mean I have that I just have to half the mix settings that I have now? So when mix was 50% in FW11 it should be 25%. Mix 20% will be 10% in FW11? or is this over simplified?
math was never my strongest point!

Last edited:
I have a show tonight and I'm not sure if I should update to 11 because of the new delay mix.

I have some presets with delay in series. Does this mean that with firmware 11 these presets will be louder?
Depends on how you dialed them in. If you have a show tonight, you owe it to yourself to give your presets a quick listen after making any changes, firmware or otherwise. :)

Depends on how you dialed them in. If you have a show tonight, you owe it to yourself to give your presets a quick listen after making any changes, firmware or otherwise. :)

I have some with the mix around 18%

Problem is if levels are going to change it is a lot of work, and I'm pretty happy with the levels of my presets.

thanks for your answer

Oh my good god. I'm going to buy one of those pedals. A really nice proper vintage one. And then when the next person mentions it in one of my threads, I'm going to find them and hit them with it. Repeatedly.

Epic and SIG-worth. :)

Delay Mix

Bakerman's response to my old (serial) delay mix settings seemed to be right on with converting them to the new law. An equation for this would be if (x) is your pre-FW11 mix percentage then 50(x)/100-(x) should give you the new setting, however if the original mix setting is above 50% this would change. Thanks again Bakerman for your help!

Last edited:
50(x)/100-(x) should give you the new setting,

Not sure if I understand your calculation: let's say your mix was 20%. So 50X20=1000 divided by 100-20=80. So 1000/80=12,5. So new mix level = 12,5%. Is this correct?

and one more question: how do you guys do it? do you make notes of all your previous mix settings? or do you make screenshots of the old Axe Edit with your old mix settings? Have to do 90 presets so I need a system.

Not sure if I understand your calculation: let's say your mix was 20%. So 50X20=1000 divided by 100-20=80. So 1000/80=12,5. So new mix level = 12,5%. Is this correct?

and one more question: how do you guys do it? do you make notes of all your previous mix settings? or do you make screenshots of the old Axe Edit with your old mix settings? Have to do 90 presets so I need a system.

Yes, 12.5% would be correct. I converted my settings this way and listening by ear the delay level sounds the same as 11b. I dont have many delay presets so I only had to convert 2-3 presets. 90 presets would be a pain.

how do you guys do it? do you make notes of all your previous mix settings? or do you make screenshots of the old Axe Edit with your old mix settings? Have to do 90 presets so I need a system.

i have to do that many as well. for those presets that need fine adjustment, i'll record short demos of each patch into logic before i update.

I think the new way the delay mix control works is perfect and should also be implemented in the Reverb block as well.

From 0-50% mix, dry is unity gain, wet goes from 0-100% volume.
From 50-100% mix, wet is unity gain, dry goes from 100-0% volume.

It's perfect!

I agree ! Thought the same thing soon as I dialed in a delay! I think the overall tone is better using delay now , and would also like to see it in the Verb!

I agree ! Thought the same thing soon as I dialed in a delay! I think the overall tone is better using delay now , and would also like to see it in the Verb!

If the tone changed it's not from this, assuming you find the same mix/level as before. (Level would only matter if using nonlinear blocks post-delay). It's just an easier way to maintain dry level in series while adjusting mix (without exceeding 50%).

I have some with the mix around 18%

Problem is if levels are going to change it is a lot of work, and I'm pretty happy with the levels of my presets.
At 18%, there will probably be a modest but noticeable change in levels. If you only have a dozen presets to level, it'll go pretty quick with Axe-Edit. If you have a bunch of them, you might want to wait until after the gig.

Back
Top Bottom