Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
stef herbuel said:
tonygtr said:
you posted 2 bad clips.
ok, can i hear something from you on the internet , as you judge my clip as "bad", i would like to hear yours please, and i will judge them too if you don't mind.

BTW is this one enough for your ears ?
http://rbul1.free.fr/JB.mp3
this was made with 6.xx, i can't find the same sound with 9.03

Where have I ever said that I was better? I mearly said that your clips where bad from the standpoint of trying to judge tone, and apperantly, people agree with me.

Here are two clips on a friends myspace where I play all the guitars. Everything is the Axe, my Kotzen Telecaster, and my Ovation acoustic.

http://www.myspace.com/morganfarm

stef herbuel said:
10 sec each is enough to hear the difference...even if it's hard to listen lol :lol:
A difference, perhaps, yes. The difference would require a couple of listens of each, and I just can't bring myself to do that. If you don't care to illustrate your point further, then that is naturally completely fine. I'll bow out of this conversation.

I absolutely didn't mean to start any flames. Please don't take it there, guys.

guys ,

will we stay about 10 pages of this topic to discuss what chords should i've played to make people able to judge my 2 exemple ?
can we go further please.forget about my 2 -so bad - clips.i've deleted them so it's over for this discuss.
thank you

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have been lurking quite awhile but I am pretty shocked by this thread. I will do my best to be unbiased but there does seem to be alot of unnecessary rudeness going on. The original poster started out with a claim that seemed to say he had to modify his tones after an update. It seemed to me to be an EQ or resonance problem. He made his point and it seemed like a legitimate observation. Yet why would he decide to leave a silly and childish post like "meh" one minute after saying he would try the suggestions posted. A very troll like paranoid Speedy Gonzales reaction if you ask me. I have also noticed a very strange game of posting veiled insults, then acting like a victim when someone reacts to those insults.
I suppose I am lucky because I have only had the Axe for just over a month, and it came with 9.0. However a friend of mine has had one for a long time and he would tweak for hours after updates. I would go over and help him tweak patches and I was sometimes overwhelmed with all of the parameters in the unit. But that is the nature of the beast. It is just one of the things you have to expect with updates in the Axe. I can see that it must be a nightmare to have your tone perfected after hours of tweaking and an update changes some parameters... But that is something we need to deal with.
On the other hand, Stef posted some great examples of the difference in his Brown sound between versions 6 and 9. I could definately hear what he is talking about. Its pretty lame of people to say they didn't listen because they didn't approve of what he was playing. He had perfected the Brown sound in version 6, and couldn't quite get that magic tone back in version 9. Could he get that magic tone back in version 9? I don't know, but I would think he probably could. But if thats his main sound then he should stick to version 6. However he does have a legitimate point that they don't seem to react the same. And if he is genuinely concerned about his tone, and not just showing off then I believe there is a Wish List section of the forum where he can request a modification to the amp model he uses.
I hope people can post open opinions here about their observations without being attacked. However if someone is arrogant or obnoxious, I expect they will be treated accordingly. I look forward to being a part of this forum.

I have posted a meh because there was a double post due to the slow forum, so i have deleted the text of the second post and replace it with a meh, that's all. :roll:
I think that you are able to get the same brown tone from 6 to 9. The difference occurs between 9 and 9.03.

I hooked up two Axe-Fx's to my PC. One of them running 6.10, the other running 9.03. I created the same preset on each: Brown amp into 4x12 25W cab. All parameters the same except I lowered the HF Resonance on the 9.03 to 2.5 and increased the bias to 1.0.

I recorded the results here: http://www.fractalaudio.com/temp/610vs903.mp3

Kinda speaks for itself.

I think the people complaining in this thread are way out of line. Cliff does an exellent job in updating the Axe to be the best product it can possible be.

The Axe is not meant to be a per client custom product. It's meant to please the majority of the guitar community, and the majority wants the amp sims to be as authentic and realistic as possible. Every area that Cliff has changed or updated, has been for the better. Nothing has taken any kind of step back. I find it just bizarre that people complain that "their sound" is not there in the new firmware. Cliff has gone way beyond what he has any responsibility to do, and added additional parameters so that people can dail in their previous amp tones with the new firmware, and still people complain? Talk about being rude...

In order to satisfy the majority, certain changes have to be made, and sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking when a new firmware is released, and sometimes, a sound that was available in a previous firmware, isn't available in the new firmware, and that's totally fine, because pretty much everyone likes to have their Axe improved, even if it takes some tweaking. We get more and more authentic amp sims by every firmware, and that is what people want. I listened to bmi:s clips, and the newer clips sounded much better in the high end, more realistic and alive. If you don't like that, then you don't like how real amps sound or behave, at least not all the way. That's fine, but stop bugging Cliff about it (he has already giving you the control to dail it in like it was before).

Cliffs dedication to his product is nothing short of amazing. I have made suggestions of features, and even amp sims, that have been added to the Axe (diffusion in the multidelay, CAE amp sims for instance ), that where my ideas to begin with. I pointed out that I didn't think the new CAE where realistic enough, and he updated them on several occasions. Cliff is VERY resonable to constructive criticism and suggestions, as long as they have a point. Sadly, I see very little, if none of any constructive criticism or reasonable suggestions in this thread, just a whole lot of childish "me me me me me"...

In this thread, all I see is pretty much just whining, moaning and an incredible rudeness towards Cliff. Either stick with your old firmware that you like so much, or use the new one, make the best of it, get over yourself. It's already evident that Cliff isn't going to do anything about the moaning (and he souldn't either), so just deal with it.

My 2 cents.

bmi said:
Close but not the same texture. 9.03 more compressed.

HA, gotcha. 9.03 was first, 6.10 second. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See? The power of suggestion. You assumed 9.03 was second and truly believed you heard a difference.

FractalAudio said:
bmi said:
Close but not the same texture. 9.03 more compressed.

HA, gotcha. 9.03 was first, 6.10 second. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See? The power of suggestion. You assumed 9.03 was second and truly believed you heard a difference.
...and there I was just about to ask BMI how he can be so sure which one is which since you didn't tell :lol:

To be fair, they don't sound 100% identical in the mids department, but I guess you didn't re-amp, so that could also be down to slightly different playing. Nothin huuuuuuge though that couldn't be rectified with a bit of tweaking. FWIW, and it doesn't matter at all what I think here, but I prefer the overall character of the first clip.

tonygtr said:
Sadly, I see very little, if none of any constructive criticism or reasonable suggestions in this thread, just a whole lot of childish "me me me me me"...

In this thread, all I see is pretty much just whining, moaning and an incredible rudeness towards Cliff. .

you see that in your dream my friend, but it's not reallity, for sure.
i don't see why people talking about the fact they prefered old firmware is a pb.

FractalAudio said:
Kinda speaks for itself.

yes i like the 2nd way better.

in fact 6.10 is really ok for me , i like the old reverb better , the old rotary really sound good (can make good chorus leslie sound in old version !)
no complaint here just i think this firmware was for me :cool:

You know i really couldnt hear much difference.
Nothing that pick attack or fingering couldnt weed out or compensate for.
Just me but i like 9.03, looking forward to 9.04 :D

I listened to Cliffs clip on my studio monitors, computer speakers, and headphones numerous times each trying to hear a difference. All I can really put my finger on is a difference in playing between the two. Cliff maybe you should take this a step further and reamp it (j/k). Much tone lives is in the fingers after all. I believe we all could agree on that.

I listened to Cliff's clip a few times to make sure I was hearing correctly. Regardless of which version is which, the first pass is definitely muddier than the second one. It's not extreme, but it's definitely there.

IMHO, All theses minor "very" minor differences could be heard in a clip of the same riff played slightly different through the same firmware. Palm mute, pick attack etc. etc. Everyone hears and comprehends and especially explain what they hear in their own unique way.

skracus said:
IMHO, All theses minor "very" minor differences could be heard in a clip of the same riff played slightly different through the same firmware. Palm mute, pick attack etc. etc. Everyone hears and comprehends and especially explain what they hear in their own unique way.

so here's a reamp file if someone wants to try with both firmware.
http://rbul1.free.fr/direct.wav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom