Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
skracus said:
IMHO, All theses minor "very" minor differences could be heard in a clip of the same riff played slightly different through the same firmware. Palm mute, pick attack etc. etc.

Yes, it could be. I do hear a difference in Cliff's clip, but I honestly couldn't say if it was because of the way he played both passes, or if it's because of something else.

Deltones said:
skracus said:
IMHO, All theses minor "very" minor differences could be heard in a clip of the same riff played slightly different through the same firmware. Palm mute, pick attack etc. etc.

Yes, it could be. I do hear a difference in Cliff's clip, but I honestly couldn't say if it was because of the way he played both passes, or if it's because of something else.

Agreed. There's just nothing to me that says that there is a definitely a tonal difference in the amp itself.

stef herbuel said:
skracus said:
IMHO, All theses minor "very" minor differences could be heard in a clip of the same riff played slightly different through the same firmware. Palm mute, pick attack etc. etc. Everyone hears and comprehends and especially explain what they hear in their own unique way.

so here's a reamp file if someone wants to try with both firmware.
http://rbul1.free.fr/direct.wav

Don't have the right tools otherwise I'd give it a go. Hopefully someone will. I love a good blind taste test :)

The difference is that I hit the open A first on the first clip but didn't on the second clip. Again, I was testing you guys and again I fooled you. The open A was ringing when the chord kicked in giving the illusion of a thicker tone. This was to demonstrate how much a minor change in technique can sound like a difference in response.

I'm sorry guys but anyone who thinks there is a significant difference in the tone is talking out their sphincter.

FractalAudio said:
bmi said:
Close but not the same texture. 9.03 more compressed.

HA, gotcha. 9.03 was first, 6.10 second. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See? The power of suggestion. You assumed 9.03 was second and truly believed you heard a difference.

The 2nd one is brighter sounding and a bit more brittle sounding to my ear.

That's surprising because 9.03 is generally brighter sounding, with the default parameters, than the earlier firmware versions. Therefore it seemed logical to think that the 2nd recording was 9.03.
Perhaps 2.5 on the HF Resonance parameter is not *exactly* the same as pre 9.03 firmware?
There most definitely *is* a difference in those two recordings. I can hear it quite clearly even on my iMac's little speakers.

FractalAudio said:
The difference is that I hit the open A first on the first clip but didn't on the second clip. Again, I was testing you guys and again I fooled you. The open A was ringing when the chord kicked in giving the illusion of a thicker tone. This was to demonstrate how much a minor change in technique can sound like a difference in response.

I'm sorry guys but anyone who thinks there is a significant difference in the tone is talking out their sphincter.
:lol: +1

A case of the golden ear syndrome around here....

Moderator Hat ON:

I've had to spend the last 15 minutes blowing out a bunch of personal tit-for-tat BS personal crap that does not belong on a forum.

To the folks I just did that for - if this was TGP, I'd have suspended the lot of you. There were 3 folks playing the game. If you want tell someone they are full of shit, don't do it on the forum. PM or email. Have at. NOT on the boards.

Moderator Hat OFF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/Rant ON

And to those folks, you owe me 15 minutes of my farking life back. Thank you very much for wasting my time online tonight.

/rant off

Back to topic:

I listened to Stef's clips earlier today, before he pulled them. Some observations: If you want us to analyze amp/cab tone, then turn off the reverb, delay and effects. Play some chords. Nothing fancy, play an A. Play an E. Play a D. Play up the neck, just power chords. Do some single note stuff and let it ring. What you posted made it impossible, IMHO and respectfully stated, for me to judge any base tone differences at all. You didn't even play the same things in the two clips. The clips as posted were not done with respect to judging what you were asking us to judge. IMHO.

In Cliff's clips, the differences are essentially in the playing; the tone was pretty much the same. Anyone hearing a difference would be straining to do so IMHO. The only difference I heard at all was in the playing pretty much.

All IMHO, YMMV and not out to flame or injure anyone's e-cred. Just sharing my thoughts.

Deltones said:
I listened to Cliff's clip a few times to make sure I was hearing correctly. Regardless of which version is which, the first pass is definitely muddier than the second one. It's not extreme, but it's definitely there.

I listened to the clip a bunch of times on my laptop speakers, Cliff fooled me, I don't have golden ears, I am talking out of my sphincter, and I agree that the second part sounded brighter than the first. :)

Scott Peterson said:
I've had to spend the last 15 minutes blowing out a bunch of personal tit-for-tat BS personal crap that does not belong on a forum.

Thank you Scott.

Lopp said:
Deltones said:
I listened to Cliff's clip a few times to make sure I was hearing correctly. Regardless of which version is which, the first pass is definitely muddier than the second one. It's not extreme, but it's definitely there.

I listened to the clip a bunch of times on my laptop speakers, Cliff fooled me, I don't have golden ears, I am talking out of my sphincter, and I agree that the second part sounded brighter than the first. :)

Another sphincter eared dude over here.

On first listen through studio monitors, I thought I heard a slight difference in "something" between the two firmwares in Cliff's clip. Then when I listened through headphones, it seemed that the two are not panned identically (very slight offset, but noticable). When I listen to the clip in mono, they sound identical. Totally. In headphones and through studio monitors.

man-o-man is arguing about 9.0 vs 9.03 vs 6.46 vs 3.22 getting old lol. It's getting to be like the tube vs. solid state in here. Is there anything in the works for the next firmware update so we can have something new to debate until the end of time lol. Man I love firmware, it's sooooooo goood. :twisted:

steadystate said:
FractalAudio said:

The brown sound.

Ahhhhh new preset!
Maybe the next firmware should come via an enema for some. It will get rid of the "cracking" and unplug the ears

FractalAudio said:

... or perhaps listening through it! :eek:

It's so much less stressfull to be a newbie and have virtually no reference points. I simply don't have the knowledge or experience with all the real world amps, cabs, mics etc so I simply go by what "sounds" good to my amateur ears. Every firmware upgrade is yet another chapter in my learning experience.

I can only thank Cliff, Tom, and all you knowledgable posters for what has so far been nothing but a pleasurable and exciting experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom