Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
FractalAudio said:
bmi said:
Close but not the same texture. 9.03 more compressed.

HA, gotcha. 9.03 was first, 6.10 second. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See? The power of suggestion. You assumed 9.03 was second and truly believed you heard a difference.
Have heard the sample late at night on my laptop and seems to me that the second was more compressed, i assume. You assume that you are using the stock IR of the Axe? (because with better IR or in a good cab some differences can be more obvious)
This morning it's hard to make any difference with cheap headphones, first one seems always more muddy.
Wait for my reamps, i will be sure of what i will record.

FractalAudio said:
bmi said:

See? The power of suggestion. You assumed 9.03 was second and truly believed you heard a difference.

Did bmi say which one is the axe in your example? :roll:

So what? So then your examples are just made for fooling people? You know the reactions well....a bunch of fanboys posting their funny youtube clips, funny pictures to make fun of other people, or even repeat your posts to get their missing attention back. That makes this board what it is today.....

Neither steff or bmi said anything negative, insulting people or making fun of others. They just share their experience in a very polite way. I'm a bit dissapointed about some "other" guys here......

So I asking you again. What are you using as your reference speaker system when improving the sound-engine (I guess you find a more clever word to describe it) on the Axe-Fx? I'm just curious ;)

I also believe that I'm unable to catch my 7.04 tone with 9.xx ....no problems and no offense so far! It's all good here. I also don't need to post more clips as I did. But I have a theory what might could be the reason of the so called "improved sound" or "improved power amp" or what every you may call it.

It has a lot to do with the late Atomic FR products in my ears. Since they teamed up, the Atomic became the reference for further improvments on the axe-sound-engine in my opinion. Since the Atomic FR couldn't be improved (it's hardware, it has to be "perfect" from day one..... :lol: sorry, little joke here) Please correct me, if I'm saying something wrong here. This are just my thoughts ;)

@ all: Please get back to the topic. No "funny talking", no pictures of facepalms what ever, no stupid jokes or even insulting other members here. Please...... :ugeek:

Mr.PC said:
FractalAudio said:
bmi said:

Did bmi say which one is the axe in your example? :roll:

So what? So then your examples are just made for fooling people? You know the reactions well....a bunch of fanboys posting their funny youtube clips, funny pictures to make fun of other people, or even repeat your posts to get their missing attention back. That makes this board what it is today.....

Neither steff or bmi said anything negative, insulting people or making fun of others. They just share their experience in a very polite way. I'm a bit dissapointed about some "other" guys here......

So I asking you again. What are you using as your reference speaker system when improving the sound-engine (I guess you find a more clever word to describe it) on the Axe-Fx? I'm just curious ;)

I also believe that I'm unable to catch my 7.04 tone with 9.xx ....no problems and no offense so far! It's all good here. I also don't need to post more clips as I did. But I have a theory what might could be the reason of the so called "improved sound" or "improved power amp" or what every you may call it.

It has a lot to do with the late Atomic FR products in my ears. Since they teamed up, the Atomic became the reference for further improvments on the axe-sound-engine in my opinion. Since the Atomic FR couldn't be improved (it's hardware, it has to be "perfect" from day one..... :lol: sorry, little joke here) Please correct me, if I'm saying something wrong here. This are just my thoughts ;)

@ all: Please get back to the topic. No "funny talking", no pictures of facepalms what ever, no stupid jokes or even insulting other members here. Please...... :ugeek:

Here we go again... I'm out! :lol:

Matman said:
angello120 said:
This means more hours spent re-working stuff

Granted people say I am fast with the Axe-Fx, but it takes me just a few minutes to re-work any particular sound for a given new firmware, new listening environment, new amp, etc.

Is there some particular part you feel you're getting stuck on after lowering the new transformer hi resonance parameter in the amp?

Duh' yeah, turning the black twirly thing that makes funny patterns on the tv screeny bit
flash , and green lights that go on and off when you hit the wire-bits on the plugged in
wooden thingy. :lol: :lol: :lol: . No just not as up to speed as you young guys, :oops: but
I would not trade my Axe' for anything I ever played before or probably will do. What a
boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything and nobody had a grouch.

JUST AGREE THAT CLIFF RULES' .amen :D

You all should have known that vintage is better... :lol: :lol:

I heard some difference in Cliff's clip. Minor difference, but it's there: I like better second part (v6.10). But I prefer V9.03 on my Axefx.

FractalAudio said:
I'm sorry guys but anyone who thinks there is a significant difference in the tone is talking out their sphincter.

i just have to tell you that i don't agree with what you say and the way you say it (maybe you'll say after that it's the same firmware , you could say it's a POD or everything you know everybody here will follow you)
take my reamp file give it to someone , give him the instruction (set resonance to 2,5 etc) and let's listen to identical playing, without trying fooling someone.

i think i'd better continue this kind of debate in a "neutral" forum in the gear page or huge racks forum as i don't want my post to be deleted and as i see moderating is VERY oriented , maybe there scott will be less .."influenced" as i see tonygtr still here ,as he insulted a few of us, in any other forum he would have been banned, not here. who knows ?.

so , see you there or in another place ,without this really arrogant ambiance. bye. :roll: :arrow:

:roll: :cry:

stef herbuel said:
i think i'd better continue this kind of debate in a "neutral" forum in the gear page or huge racks forum as i don't want my post to be deleted and as i see moderating is VERY oriented , maybe there scott will be less .."influenced" as i see tonygtr still here ,as he insulted a few of us, in any other forum he would have been banned, not here. who knows ?.

so , see you there or in another place, ,without this really arrogant ambiance. bye.

+1

Sorry a bit late on the clip but the 1st half sounded a bit more boxy, the 2nd half had a tad more low end and high end clarity to my ears. Maybe my ears are deceiving me but listening through my studio monitors the 2nd half shifts a bit to the right in the image. Not a huge difference though.

Edit: the louder i listen to the clips the less difference i hear.

The ears are very temperamental things.

Cron said:
Sorry a bit late on the clip but the 1st half sounded a bit more boxy, the 2nd half had a tad more low end and high end clarity to my ears. Maybe my ears are deceiving me but listening through my studio monitors the 2nd half shifts a bit to the right in the image. Not a huge difference though.

Edit: the louder i listen to the clips the less difference i hear.

The ears are very temperamental things.

Well, new morning, fresh ears. I listened to Cliff's clip again, and Jim Carrey just called me to play a part in the Ace Ventura new sequel. Didn't tell me which part I would play though...

Mr.PC said:
Fractal uses purpose specific, high end testing equipment for product development - not Atomic products (as good as they happen to sound :p ). Furthermore, at this point in time, Atomic Reactor Series products have not even been used as a reference in building factory presets.

-TK

The only thing that bothers me in this thread is the way some people are talking to Cliff.
Ok. they do have certain problems regarding sounds, firmwares etc, no one can deny that.
But really we should have a bit more dignity and respect when talking to a guy
who invented a piece of gear that we ALL enjoy, more or less...

I have used different gear through years but I never actually had a chance to speak
with the man himself who created that gear, talking about Mesa, Peavey, Engl, T.C., Rocktron, Marshall etc.

We should respect that highly, no matter what...

I am not saying that you should stop sharing your experiences with firmwares, no!!
All I'm saying that we should have different approach when talking to Cliff vs. talking to other members, nothing else.

Muris_Varajic said:
The only thing that bothers me in this thread is the way some people are talking to Cliff.
Ok. they do have certain problems regarding sounds, firmwares etc, no one can deny that.

I have used different gear through years but I never actually had a chance to speak
with the man himself who created that gear, talking about Mesa, Peavey, Engl, T.C., Rocktron, Marshall etc.

I am not saying that you should stop sharing your experiences with firmwares, no!!
All I'm saying that we should have different approach when talking to Cliff vs. talking to other members, nothing else.

I don't think it makes a difference how you talk to Cliff vs other memebers. He's human like the rest of us period. Actually that mentality really bothers me.
Frankly , no one should blatantly disrespect Cliff OR ANYONE ELSE on the forum.

I have a problem though, when Cliff essentially tells you, "all i did was change variable x", and no one seems to listen to or believe him. What he is saying is that the code, is EXACTLY the same. This isnt an amp, this isnt physcial gear. There are no microscopic physical changes at work here, only numbers.

1+1 will always = 2 ,... period.

He put the code in, and im sure he double checked it many times over. IF you're telling him hes wrong you are either calling him a liar, or a retard.

~mx~

marvinx said:
I don't think it makes a difference how you talk to Cliff vs other memebers. He's human like the rest of us period. Actually that mentality really bothers me.
Frankly , no one should blatantly disrespect Cliff OR ANYONE ELSE on the forum.

~mx~

It makes huge difference IMO, it says a lot about our manners etc etc.
I wasn't talking about disrespecting anyone, doing that is wrong anyway,
I was saying that we should respect Cliff and his work more, perhaps I am wrong.
Maybe it's forum lacking but I clearly cannot see that respect in some post directed to Cliff.
If you think you should speak to Cliff the same way as you speak to me or someone else on this forum, fine, go on...

Muris_Varajic said:

what's about talking to your sphincter?

I have made a reamp with 6.02 9.00 9.03 and it seems that Cliff is right.
9.00 and 9.03 with hf set to 2.48 gives the same result for rythm. It's not obvious when you hear the samples but if you copy two identical parts in the same sample they sound nearly identic. So it's psycho-accoustic there perhaps conditionned by hearing the 9.03 with the default values before.
9.03 sounds brighter than 9.00 with the default values and to me it sounds bad.
I can't upload for the moment the samples because mediafire is bugging.

What I see is that certain individuals like to prod Cliff and piss him off.

He's said, plainly and clearly, that the code and the sound is this or that - black and white. If you hear it differently, then you are simply hearing things that are not there. He's even posted a clip that some folks bit on right away to illustrate the point. Yet no matter how many times he says it, some folks simply won't believe him. For whatever reason.

You have certain individuals that prefer older firmware, for whatever reason. The reason doesn't matter. They can use that older firmware and their tones, but they resent that they cannot use later firmware at the same time. I see it as tilting at windmills. "I want to drive the 66 GTO, but I want it to handle like a Porsche and have safety like a late model Volvo."

This is all simply a tempest in a teapot. Looking at it from an outside perspective you have folks on 'both sides of the aisle' that are acting out of line. Disrespect. One guy that should be sitting out with a suspension for his behavior right now criticized me in a PM that I deleted another member's post that had a valid point. Well, perhaps that member had a valid point indeed, but it was covered in personal slams as base and juvenile as "Eat Shit". Completely unacceptable.

Look, I've said this 100X if I've said it once. If you like firmware 6.xx or whatever, then load it in and play your heart out and enjoy it. If you prefer 9.xx, then load in 9.xx and play your heart out and enjoy it. If you want to use this forum as a personal platform to simply troll for responses so you can point your finger say, "...see - they are mean if you disagree with them and dare 'disrespect' the box!" please take your game elsewhere. You can disagree respectfully and it is on you, if you start the thread to do so in a respectful manner. I suspect you will get the same reaction as you do now, but you will get that counter opinion RESPECTFULLY if set the tone. Leading with a sense of entitlement, i.e. "The box should fit me and please me, not anyone else because the world revolves around my happiness" does not set well with other folks.

IMHO, YMMV.

After reading 11 pages of this thread before bailing out, I have come to this conclusion: Some folks have far too much time on their hands, and appear to spend most of it gazing at their own navels.

Everybody is free to say that he dislike a firmware and can be wrong without being suspected of bitching or anything else and without being asked to talk to his sphincter.
I have posted a sample made with 9.03 and the default values for the resonance parameters where something rings at 23" and this time it's not psycho-accoustic. I have heard that before in a cab with an ELV12 many times and never heard it before 9.03. Because i was able to record it i feel completly right to think that it was not psycho-accoustic phenomenom. Seems i was wrong about the HF set to 2.48. The DI is poor quality and an IR is not as detailed than a cab so one day i will do it again with a guitar and good microphone standing before a cab.
This experience doesn't change my mind about one thing. I dislike the default values of 9.03 and sometimes with these i can hear something ringing in the back.(with or without tube poweramp)

I made a patch the other day. Whoa did it suck! I DELETED it and started over.......

( I didnt create a thread about it either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom