Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.

mba

Power User
Ok so after more time of testing and today making a comparison with 6.02 it's obvious that something didn't work for me in 9.03 and i'm not completly satisfied.

I use it most of the time amplified with a little single ended amp into my cabs (4x12 JTM45 stack or 2 2X12 with alnico blue, blue dog, EVL12, G12T100)

I have ever talk about something ringing in the new tone. It's obvious when you compare 9.03 to previous version. It could be great and this is probably what makes clean sound better but i think it's too much.
I can hear something ringing in the back when i play powerchords and after having played 1 hour with 6.02 then idem with 9.03 just with the plexi1 model and same default value i've just noticed that this ring/sustain in 9.03 gives me headach.

Another phenomenon i have noticed is that i get slightly ducky/quacky sounds with high gain amps (not sure about how to describe that).
So i first think that there was a new shape too much scooped in the middle, so V shape. But setting the bass&treble to 0 and middle up in my poweramp didn't work. In fact it's a ^ shape and i have to lower the middle to get a normal tone.

I have to investigate more about the mushy sound, seems that i have found a solution when using the poweramp simulation with lowering the input level so i can use the master after 9 for the relevant models without having a too mushy sound.

I can live with the ducky sound, it's easy to control but don't understand why i've got that now with the default values.
I can't do something for the ringing tone that gives me headach....
So i'm just wondering if i'm alone to notice that. :(

That's because you are using a tube power amp. You need to compensate for this by reducing the Resonance parameters in the amp block.

Even on FRFR, some amp models (not all) need a good amount of tweaking after upgrading to 9.03.
Sometimes I had very good results initializing the amp blocks and restarting from scratch.
I can assure you that I found that it was worth tweaking and all in all I am much happier with 9.03 :p

On some amp models, try to switch Bright off. I noticed on some amps where I used to have Bright on, I now prefer it off and rather crank Presence a bit more. Some tones I used suddenly sounded very scooped and Bright off/Presence up not only cured it, but made it sound even better.

VegaBaby said:
On some amp models, try to switch Bright off. I noticed on some amps where I used to have Bright on, I now prefer it off and rather crank Presence a bit more. Some tones I used suddenly sounded very scooped and Bright off/Presence up not only cured it, but made it sound even better.
I most of the time remove the bright switch too.
I will try to tweak the resonance parameter.
What about the ducky sound?
(by the way the 6.02 plexi 1 model sounds immediatly great with my configuration, i will check again 9.0 next time)

The overwhelming majority of people prefer 9.03. If you don't, then use 6.02 or whatever makes YOU happy.

I know but i know too that the overwhelming majority has not an Axe-Fx as long than me and probably didn't use the same poweramp than me for testing. it gives me normally excellent results.
By the way i've received a private message of someone who tells me that he feels exactly the same thing. So if people says nothing we will go in the wrong direction. It's about details but sometimes details count.
Perhaps i'm wrong if so... but if i'm right i'm sure that you will correct the shoot for the next releases.
We will see.

The tools are at your disposal to make 9.03 sound like 6.02 or any other firmware. Rather than bitching and creating controversy, learn to use them.

If you're using a tube power amp, shouldn't power amp sims be turned off? Otherwise you're sure to have to do some adjustment to compensate for the effects of having both the power amp sim and the actual tube amp in series.

No reason to go into paranoiac mode as fast as speedy gonzales.
I'm not bitching at all, i will tweak the resonance parameter and if it solves the ringing tone i will go back there and ask why i have to tweak now the advanced parameter when i've got good tone before with default values. ;)
Perhaps 9.03 is optimized for the Fractal Poweramp response, in this case i will have certainly to work with it forever.

chase said:
If you're using a tube power amp, shouldn't power amp sims be turned off? Otherwise you're sure to have to do some adjustment to compensate for the effects of having both the power amp sim and the actual tube amp in series.
I've tried both. The level i use it is not enough loud to consider the distorsion of the poweramp but it sounds less ringing without the poweramp simulation.
Anyway just my 2 cents.

I find that with 9.03, all of the Amp Types that I regularly work with have too much top-end with the default parameters for those Amp Types.
For all of them, I have to lower the HF Resonance parameter, sometimes all the way to 0 in order to get the amps to sound "right".
As written in the release notes this replicates the pre-9.02 Amp type default parameters.

If you, like me, liked the sound of 9.0, but 9.03 has too much top-end for you, then this is what you probably need to do.

I hope that's not "In the Air Tonight" that I heard in the background when I looked at this thread... :cool:

Cliff, I like 9.03. A lot. But I've liked all the updates so what can I say?

Jay Mitchell said:
Casper said:
9.03 is 50% better than 6.02, exactly.
You mean it's +1.76dB. :lol:
:roll: Guess this is going to be the next "crack"-thread, huh?

I go along with Cliff saying "use what makes YOU happy". Over ten months i was staying on 7.04 (even had a benchmark tone, when it comes to the meanings of the guys at thegearpage.net or G66, which still hosting my clip in their axe-sound-samples). Now i'm mostly on 9.00 and it sounded a bit different, but ok too......who cares, as long I can do what I love to do..... :lol:

@ bmi: I share the same experience, but at the end I could go back to 7.04 when ever I like to. I won't speak for Cliff's behalf, but I guess your guessing is not so wrong, the Axe today is made to fit to the reactor FR system, maybe Cliff using the Atomic as his reference speaker system today..... Or maybe not. Ask him (maybe you get an answer....) ;)

There is another thing that make me angry here, "bmi" just did his statement and asked if anyone elese had the same experience. No bitching, no hassle.....just a simple question (and above was my answer)
And you guys just making fun of him or his serious question? .
holdenhinkle said:
:!: :?: :!: Unbelievable :!: :?: :!:
yes.....unfortunately yes..... :roll:

Maybe "this" is conspiracy here, but.....he is from europe, france....almost like me (from switzerland). It seems to be as "we" are not so worthy....so you can making fun! I hope my thoughts are all wrong! :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom