No d/e/f xl bank access

As I understand there is a hardware limitation on MFC-101. I got frustrated last month when I realized that since I bought it to complete my just released Axe FX II XL model. Anyways MFC-101 will only access the first 384 presets. The solution I found was to move BANK A to BANK D and use A to my favorite presets, so I can access them using the MFC-101.

Fractal Audio support also confirmed that limitation so Its your decision, leave it (return) or just understand and enjoy it like I am doing. :)

I hope my answer will help you guys! ;)

Maybe not enough memory on the mfc to store some settings that are per preset ?
If FAS could enlight us on this limit it would be great :)

seems strange, it's only a midi sending messages pedal board who use one preset at a time.:ambivalence:

It also receives midi, saves presets, songs, song lists, etc.
You can actually save a bunch of presets and songs to it to use without the 2 way communication (midi out only), that way it can be used with other machines than the axe fx.

Good read.

To All: A midi foot controller is not a remote control device. I know, your first reaction is, Yes, it is! What I mean is, it doesn't replace the encoder on the front panel of the Axe FX, that you spin, to change to other presets. The midi controller is not there so you never have to use your fingers to touch the axe fx again, to scroll to various presets.

The midi foot controller is a piece of hardware to aid in live performances, when your hands are occupied playing the guitar.

If you are a performing musician, your concert presets should be moved to fit in one bank of the axe fx, which can be accessed by the midi controller. The other hundreds of preset slots are there so you can have variety and room to experiment without over writing your most coveted presets.

The MFC has enough onboard memory for 384 MFC-101 presets.
Each MFC-101 preset stores a LOT of info, so there's not a lot of room to grow it without designing a new product.

You can use the MFC's "Tx Map" feature to re-map which Axe-Fx preset is loaded by each MFC preset. At present the upper limit of the MAP TO is 511 (or 512 with display offset +1).
I've asked the developer to up this to 768 for the next version.

I personally do not recommend using Tx Map. It's not the easiest thing to maintain if you change the presets in your Axe-Fx often. A paper system is useful. But ew.

Instead, just use Axe-Manage to re-arrange the presets in your Axe-Fx so those you want access to are up front. Leave some blanks within reach too.
It's as easy as drag and drop. AND, the default behavior is "swap" so you don't need to worry about data loss.

Another thing: check reality. I've never known anyone anywhere to use more than 300 presets. And that (obscene) number was for a broadway show where every effect on/off was handled with a new PC.

The fact is, You can get through the most stylistically eclectic jam session with relatively few sounds. Here's an exercise that might help. Limit yourself to 5-15 essential sounds. Without being at the Axe-Fx, write down a brief description of each. Can you even get to 15? Can SCENES/IA Switch changes reduce the number even further? 10 is a lot of presets to use on the fly. Now build that. And later, if a new sound comes in, move an old one out. Make the most of what you have available. I believe that creativity comes from being limited, not limitless. Play the music rather than the equipment.

Lastly, a tip. If you DID find yourself in a jam (pun intended) and suddenly needed a preset which was located out of reach, the Axe-Fx itself has a front panel SWAP feature. You can use it to move things around on the spot, no computer, no data loss. (And what even is data loss anymore, with Fractal-Bot chirping away at your command?)

Finally, keep things tidy. Don't have seven versions of the same preset with slight tweaks for comparison. DO the comparison. Unload the chaff. Use Fractal-Bot to back up and then Axe-Manage to clear out what you won't use.

Have fun.

I can live with the limitation. But as a consumer, I think Fractal should change the advertisement: "TOTAL CONTROL AT YOUR FEET MFC-101". Its not true. :(

Matt, I understand your explanation, but there is one thing I can not explain to me:
why when i change the presets in d/e/f banks from the Front panel, my mfc (mark2) working properly on the presets numbers,names and blocks?

Lastly, a tip. If you DID find yourself in a jam (pun intended) and suddenly needed a preset which was located out of reach, the Axe-Fx itself has a front panel SWAP feature. You can use it to move things around on the spot, no computer, no data loss. (And what even is data loss anymore, with Fractal-Bot chirping away at your command?)

Really? Swap a whole preset? How?

this seems to be an unanswered question?

Because that is how total sync works from the Axe-fx. It sends the preset's name and effects states to the MFC-101.

For the MFC-101 to send the data to the Axe-fx, it needs to send a program change. That program change needs to be stored somewhere (in presets on the MFC-101).

The way around this would be for the MFC-101 just a slave to the Axe-fx. that would probably take some extensive reprogramming.

That program change needs to be stored somewhere (in presets on the MFC-101).

thx for this detailled reply, more clear for me.
so the key of the problem is: there is no more place in mfc eprom or flash memory to stock the program change datas of the extended banks when it's sending from mfc, but i can tweak presets on the mfc (on extended banks) when the program change was send from the axefx, right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom