Wish Next Gen Dyna-Cabs: Support 3D Deep Dive Audio for headphones

There is not much actual detail on either link. There have been several technologies on the market for years offering an expanded spatial image over headphones, so it’s tough to tell what is new here. You could probably home brew something that sounds reasonably good by adding a cab block running an IR based on an HRTF that is suitable for your head/ears.

That looks kinda like the Axe-FX Enhancer Block plus an IR convolution.

I am curious to know what would be the practical application for a guitar that can not already be achieved with the microphone/room/IR equation in stereo. Isn't that what creates the "spatial sensation"? (call it "3D deep dive", "Echtes räumliches Hören", or whatever marketing term)

Last edited:
With this technology you can walk with headphones through the room and you hear the sound coming from the righ direction where the speaker is located. Totally different to current versions. The headphone has position data and combines it with the speaker position. Standing in front of a cab and moving from left to right will change the sound. It shall be like walking around a speaker w/o headphones.

True spatial hearing MP3 inventor shows everyone how to do 3D audio properly​

By Klaus WedekindJanuary 16, 2024, 5:38 p.mListen to article
Karlheinz Brandenburg wears Sennheiser headphones with an HTC Vive tracker on the headband.
(Photo: of)
3D audio is a nice thing, but not immersive enough, says Karlheinz Brandenburg. The co-inventor of MP3 and his team impressively demonstrate how you can create the perfect three-dimensional listening illusion with headphones.

Headphones used to only offer stereo sound, but now more and more headsets also offer three-dimensional sound, giving you the feeling of being right in the middle of the action. But no matter whether it's 3D audio, spatial audio, Dolby Atmos or 360 Reality Audio - it's always a static experience. That means you can't really move through a sound world. With further developed technology from Brandenburg Labs, this is now possible, as ntv.de was able to find out for itself at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.

The company's founder is Karlheinz Brandenburg. The name is probably unknown to many people, even though they may use a technology every day that wouldn't exist without it. Brandenburg is considered the “father of MP3”. With his dissertation, which the now 69-year-old wrote in 1989 at the Technical Faculty of the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, he laid the foundations for the audio data compression process that he later developed with a team at the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS developed. He was recently honored for this by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) in Hollywood.

Like Dolby Atmos, only better​

Brandenburg's new process basically continues where Dolby Atmos etc. leave off. With Deep Dive Audio it is not only possible to hear in three dimensions, but also to perceive sound objects as if they were actually in space. This means you can approach them, move away from them or walk around them and it always sounds exactly as if they were really there.
So that media representatives could get an impression of the technology's possibilities, Brandenburg Labs set up a setting in a hotel suite with two speakers mounted on tripods. First you moved through the room while the speakers played music. After that, you put on high-resolution headphones and it was impossible to hear any difference. No matter how or where you moved, it still sounded like the speakers were active, even though the music was now playing through the headset.

So far still a “craft set”​

To create the perfect acoustic illusion, Brandenburg Labs is still using technology from the HTC Vive , which normally allows gamers to move through virtual reality (VR). The wearer's position and head movements are determined using base stations set up and a tracker attached to the headset's bracket.
The room must also be measured using an omnidirectional microphone. The reflections of each loudspeaker are recorded separately. In addition, the Brandenburg Labs team feeds the system with scanned room dimensions and the orientation of the speakers. Algorithms convert the information in real time.
The company is already offering the “craft set” demonstrated in Las Vegas for around 5,000 euros; according to Brandenburg, its current customers are primarily music studios. The goal, however, is to bring our own hardware onto the market, including headphones with an integrated tracker. The MP3 master and his team hope to find investors who will raise around 10 million euros.

Many possibilities​

MORE ON THE SUBJECT

Collaboration with other companies is also an option, says Brandenburg. In addition to the immersive music experience, areas of application include VR and AR applications. Virtual conferences could also be enhanced with the technology. With it it is possible, for example, to whisper in the ear of a conversation partner, says Brandenburg.
The technology would certainly be a perfect addition to Apple's Vision Pro data glasses. But there have been no concrete discussions with any manufacturer yet, says Brandenburg. But perhaps he has found a backer in Las Vegas and we will literally hear a lot more about the company.
Source: ntv.de

I'm probably misunderstanding something, but if this tech is in Fractal devices, which have only your guitar going through them, won't the rest of the band just be in normal stereo?

Don't they have to measure the room beforehand, and have all listeners wear position sensing gear of some sort? Doesn't seems very practical for most applications, at least until the tech is ubiquitous.

I have no details about it. I just read the article. But for me at home alone usage it would be great.
On stage with wireless headphones I don't know how it works but it could be a game changer to hear the sound coming from the right direction. E.g. Angus Young jumping over a large stage would prefer it ;) I think that's also why he still uses all the cabs on stage and no headphones. But there are other members here who have better live on stage knowledge.

Last edited:
Don't they have to measure the room beforehand, and have all listeners wear position sensing gear of some sort? Doesn't seems very practical for most applications, at least until the tech is ubiquitous.
That's what I don't get. We know that moving a microphone around a room changes what the cab sounds like. That's what Dyna-Cabs is all about — traditional IRs too for that matter. Once you've moved the mic to where you like it, you don't want that tone to change.

To make this work, you have to perform detailed measurements of the room, set up base stations around the room, and install a tracker in your headphones. What's the actual application for this in a guitar modeler?

This seems to be like Dolby Atmos but moves with the listener's position.

So the unit needs to track the headphones and compare the positioning in that real room to the position of the sound source in the virtual room.

I'm not seeing the practicality of this for anything other than VR experiences.

With my FRFR cab I have an amp or cab in the room feeling but with my headphones not while I'm moving in the room. Just ignore it.

Last edited:
With my FRFR cab I have an amp or cab in the room feeling but with my phones not while I'm moving in the room. Just ignore it.
Buy one, if they’re actually on the market, and let us know how it works for you.

I’m not joking. There is understandable skepticism here. How cool would it be if you could report back on its usefulness with firsthand experience?

Reactions: yek
No idea how / why this would useful for listening to the Axe or FM through headphones.
there is not much use to it, it just makes the experience more comfy, even for open-backed.

I generally hate listening to just guitar through headphones. When my son was born and his bedroom is next to the mancave, I got the waves NX to use while he slept and was pleasantly surprised it could fool me into feeling that the sound was coming from the speakers. It is a big improvement.

However, after some time (couple days lol) I also tried playing at my usual room volumes and my son never woke up, so I stopped using the NX.

Dust it off every year or so now, just to check its still working

I'm not sure why this is desirable in a guitar modeler or why it'd involve Dyna-Cabs.

Apple's AirPod Pro earphones along with my iPad can do "Spacial Audio" and if turn my head the sound seems to come from the iPad. And, I don't find it particularly useful for anything I want to do so I turned off that capability.

Back
Top Bottom