New Guthrie Govan signature guitar.

Didn't know that - thanks for the info. That's a pity, because as nice as Charvels are, I think Suhrs - at least the three I have - are a league above!
Try a DK-24 USA Select... I think you might change your mind.

I haven't played GG Charvel yet but I'd expect they are in the same league.

This new guitar has Charvel locking tremolo bridge. I have never played one, can anyone comment on how well they work? Guthrie likes to use the whammy but can you do complete divebombs and come back up to pitch ?

This new guitar has Charvel locking tremolo bridge. I have never played one, can anyone comment on how well they work? Guthrie likes to use the whammy but can you do complete divebombs and come back up to pitch ?
I think some of the previous models did, too.

They originally used the non-fine-tuner Floyd Rose bridge, I believe. None of the Charvel GG models have used a double-locking and the hasn't seemed to affect Guthrie... But he is an alien, so there's that ;)

Some folks like it. It is the Charvel equivalent of the original non-fine tuner Floyd. When I had one of these guitars, the trem was fine. I disliked the rounded locking blocks as I found it more difficult to keep that string straight while do a quick string change when I broke one at rehearsals. Mine had very poorly cut nut on it and I had to replace it with a graphtec. It worked fine after that but still not as good as a double locking floyd. The neck on the guitar was beautiful and very nice to play.

I really like the finish on this new version.

I have his signature Suhr from several years ago, and it plays like a beauty, has basically all the same features as this one apart from the glow-in-the-dark inlays and knobs. I doubt many folks would pick fault with anything on the Suhr. I have two other Suhrs as well, but the Guthrie Signature model is the most versatile. It has the booster button, that when pressed, any tone, volume, pickup switch settings you have are bypassed and it goes straight to the bridge pickup on full output. Press the button again, and it goes back to where you were. Very useful on live gigs - push the button, play the solo, push the button, and back to backing settings. Guthrie implies in this video that this is his first signature guitar, but it ain't so. Not sure what the squabble was when he fell out with John Suhr, but the Suhr one I have would be very similar to this Charvel. And yes, he's got old quickly, but he can still play the pants of most of us...! ;)
He means that this is the first guitar that was actually designed for him. The Suhr was just his speck on a modern so exactly the same as you or me ordering a custom and limited to available options.

Yes and this is just a version of the Floyd Rose FRT2 from 1981, nice bridge shame it's not available on anything else.

He means that this is the first guitar that was actually designed for him. The Suhr was just his speck on a modern so exactly the same as you or me ordering a custom and limited to available options.
No - he had quite a lot of input into the Suhr Guthrie Govan, including that Bengal finish, but in particular, that button that put you straight into bridge pickup at full volume, regardless of where your physical controls are set. Quite a few other details were at his suggestion and collaboration as well - I spoke to Guthrie at a clinic here in Australia that he did, when he was playing Suhr, and we had a long chat about his signature Suhr. I can't remember all the smaller details of what he specified, though - it was several years ago now. I have a Suhr Modern, as well as the GG Suhr, and they are quite different.

No - he had quite a lot of input into the Suhr Guthrie Govan, including that Bengal finish, but in particular, that button that put you straight into bridge pickup at full volume, regardless of where your physical controls are set. Quite a few other details were at his suggestion and collaboration as well - I spoke to Guthrie at a clinic here in Australia that he did, when he was playing Suhr, and we had a long chat about his signature Suhr. I can't remember all the smaller details of what he specified, though - it was several years ago now. I have a Suhr Modern, as well as the GG Suhr, and they are quite different.
Not one single thing in the GG modern is not in the options list of the day and I do remember the small details and I know why Guthrie left and who he had a problem with.

Last edited:
I remember Guthrie used to do tuition stuff in Guitar Techniques in the 90s when I started playing. I met him in Edinburgh in January 2020 when he was walking to his hotel after his sound check with The Aristocrats - a genuinely nice, humble and quite shy person. I didn’t even ask for a selfie, just told him I was a great admirer. He said thanks, enjoy the show and continued to smoke his roll up cig. Definitely top 3 of all the guitarists I’ve seen live - Vai remains top of the tree.

I forget the person's name, but it was someone in Suhr's artist relations department. John Suhr had been focusing on product development and spending time on the manufacturing side of the business. Apparently he didn't know the details of how people were being treated and he subsequently fired the individual responsible for the relationship going sour. John Suhr has said that he has personally apologized to GG and they are on friendly terms again.

The blower switch , the neck carve, the wood speck, the wiring and pickups. The hardware. All options on the custom order list at the time. There was nothing that was done specifically for Guthrie that you couldn't have ordered yourself . The Charvel is a ground up custom new guitar, no comparison.

I have his signature Suhr from several years ago, and it plays like a beauty, has basically all the same features as this one apart from the glow-in-the-dark inlays and knobs. I doubt many folks would pick fault with anything on the Suhr. I have two other Suhrs as well, but the Guthrie Signature model is the most versatile. It has the booster button, that when pressed, any tone, volume, pickup switch settings you have are bypassed and it goes straight to the bridge pickup on full output. Press the button again, and it goes back to where you were. Very useful on live gigs - push the button, play the solo, push the button, and back to backing settings. Guthrie implies in this video that this is his first signature guitar, but it ain't so. Not sure what the squabble was when he fell out with John Suhr, but the Suhr one I have would be very similar to this Charvel. And yes, he's got old quickly, but he can still play the pants of most of us...! ;)

Mine’s not a GG signature but it’s very close:

Attachments

• D2A2A941-D169-49F9-9E8D-56F89522D87D.jpeg
    D2A2A941-D169-49F9-9E8D-56F89522D87D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom