New Guthrie Govan signature guitar.

Yep. Staggered tuners and losing the string trees really helped.

I swapped in a Thornbucker with nickel cover to replace the Full Shred in the bridge.

I like it better on its own for what I do but the Full Shred probably works well for certain music.

I'm still on the fence about it in positions 2 and 3 where it is split with the middle or neck, though. I probably should have gotten the TB+ instead as it seems to be a bit less powerful than the singles unless I raise it fairly high.
I've always been curious to try out the Thornbuckers. I'd imagine them to be very versatile given Pete's needs and style. Starting to research tuners in advance and see a lot players favouring hipshot and Gotoh. If i'm not mistaken the Charvels are the two pin but cannot confirm. I'm looking for a drop-in replacement.

Man, I am way behind the mark here again. Mine is bone stock and I have ZERO tuning
issues. I say ride that f'ing horse around the Ranch a few times before you are convinced
you need to upgrade/mod it right away.

Just because others have doesn't mean all must, need to, or shall. :)

I've always been curious to try out the Thornbuckers. I'd imagine them to be very versatile given Pete's needs and style. Starting to research tuners in advance and see a lot players favouring hipshot and Gotoh. If i'm not mistaken the Charvels are the two pin but cannot confirm. I'm looking for a drop-in replacement.
Yes, they are 2 pin type tuners. I bought the Ratio tuners and they dropped right in.

What you guys think of this chlorine burst Quilt top. Its a pro mod dk24 and there is a used one at a guitar shop for $850 (USD since most here are in States likely) $1099 CAD. Its in a different city but talked to the shop and he sent me a few pics. I pulled the trigger on it and should be here in about two weeks
I have one just like that, it plays great and the tunning stability is very good. The pickups are a bit hot but the parallel switch make the positions 4 and 2 very usable.

The actual Suhr issue was regarding the specs of the guitar, mostly. He wanted to redesign the trem, but John Suhr said no. He did not want to invest in trying to source an original style floyd. The issue got heated because the design team basically wanted Guthrie to use either the gotoh or the DL floyd. The other issue was around the pickups and trying to get those different. Charvel came in and told him they could do all of it. He did actually start with the gotoh trem and then brought back up the org floyd. Which they did source and put on. But the radius was not correct and by the time the saddles were changed out - it made more sense to create their own. Which is actually a killer trem. The MJ version pictured here takes it even further by using the pop in arm concept as well as a gotoh type srew in arm. IT is the best arm I have ever used hands down. The MJ version is about a 1000 cheaper but is basically a better guitar all around. Lot of design improvements and Guthrie played it exclusively with Hans Zimmer. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on, the Charvel is a much better guitar ( this one I should say) than the GG Suhr. I can use it for any type of gig no matter what...I have all of the models personally and this one is killer....

Says who? This is not what John Suhr has publicly said.

Well, Guthrie has mentioned many times this issue. You can hear him nudge about this on his video with Andertons - if you need "proof?" Other than that - Suhr would not make the trem and that was the issue. They did not see the need because very few people wanted it.

See, Fender is still a pretty amazing company - even though they get a bad rap from some folks who may want them to make them 20 guitars a year lol. Putting a spoiled guitarist aside, the bottom line is the line up they have Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Guthrie et al are some of the most pickiest tones folks around and they have been able to deliver and produce anything they have wanted - pickups, trems, switching systems you name it.

If you have a lot of cash and a big wall maybe Suhr is the way to go.....They are great reliable guitars, but there is just a little more extra for me with a GG Charvel. That is why GG has stayed so long with them. He is not a BS kind of person and he really only wants what works best.

To me it all depends on what you need a guitar for....it is more a tool than wallpaper for me.

Back
Top Bottom