New format for IRs in FW 10?

If you can't convert the new IRs into wav, it still possible to create an IR with a computer, then convert the wav file to .syx using AOM and send that to the axe-fx?

I have not tried but I don't see why not. The new format is obviously backward compatible since I can upload "old" or third party IRs as cabs.

If you can't convert the new IRs into wav, it still possible to create an IR with a computer, then convert the wav file to .syx using AOM and send that to the axe-fx?

Yes, the previous format is also supported.

FWIW, one of my fundamental tenets of this company is "never makes decisions based on greed". IOW, don't pull an Adobe. The decision to change the format was purely technical. The data is not encrypted (like other products), it's just in a different format.

FWIW, one of my fundamental tenets of this company is "never makes decisions based on greed". IOW, don't pull an Adobe. The decision to change the format was purely technical. The data is not encrypted (like other products), it's just in a different format.

Bravo!! I work in computer graphics & I know exactly what you mean by pulling an Adobe!!

Fantastic, thanks! I have some IR shooting sessions planned for next week, so this is great news!

The format was changed because in rare cases a sample value would exceed the allowed digital representation. This rarely happens with cabs but if you do IRs of preamps or other less conventional things this can happen. The new format doesn't suffer from this problem.

Much thx Cliff!

I knew I had no glue.....

A fellow member of the german board found a math algorithm on it, but I don't want to gain all the laurels here, here is a link: Axe-Fx II: Cabinet IRs nach Firmware 10 auf dem AxeFx II - Seite 2

I am really pleased to hear that. This restore my believing, why i like not only my FAS Gear but also FAS itself. In other words: I am ashamed to suggest things, i won`t spell out twice now. So i have to say (luckily): Cliff: Sorry, i was wrong.

Cliff, because it seems to me, that your decision NOT encrypting the IR data is well-considered, can we assume, that:

1) Is it possible (for people who could do such things) to (re-)create a converter tool "NEW IR .syx"<-> .wav?
2) Perhaps you would be ok with supporting those people, interested to program a (new) converter-tool, with data aspects?

On the german axefx.de forum, a member has tried to analyse my in FW10.05 exported CAB IRs (from TMA export & IR-capture) in comparison to one "old formatted" file and post some screenshots of his reformatings and a mathematical formula, that says to me absolutely nothing ;) :
X_real = 10^((X_FW10 - A)*D)/10^D*C-B (for A/B/C/D he found these figures: A=-0.9211, B=9.9920e-006, C=1.8161e-033, D=46.0261. He defined X_real as "old" format; X_FW10 as te new one.
http://www.axefx.de/showthread.php/756-Cabinet-IRs-nach-Firmware-10-auf-dem-AxeFx-II?p=8425&viewfull=1#post8425

I do not understand such things, but what i want to ask: Is it imaginable, that people out there who are interested to program a new converter have (or can read out) all informations needed to do that?

Last edited:

This has been very obvious (to me) since my first Fractal product purchase (the Axe FX II) a couple of years back now. And it's very much appreciated and quite a cool way to run a business. Seems to be working well so far and hope it just gets better. Just wanted to say thanks.

I guess, I figured out that the old format is 32bit integer fixed-point and the new format is IEEE 754 single-precision binary floating-point. Can you confirm that?
Thanks!

Lets face it, Cliff has stuck a fine balance between cost and profit and is happy with it. Yes we've all paid a lot of money for our units, but the superior sound, tools and regular free updates make this money well spent, which people can justify.

When people can no longer justify shelling out for your product(s), your marketing and profits margins, greed etc need a good looking at. I truly admire Cliff for his nobility, humility and dedication.

He has no idea how much my Axe Fx has not just been a musical tool for me, but also a therapeutic one, helping me through depression, a divorce and days where I was too poor to do anything but play on my guitar.

Back
Top Bottom