My observation after 3.0 FW upgrade on AXE FX 2

mcgyver

Inspired
Did the update yesterday and noticed a few things that I didn't like. I wanted to know if anyone else has experience these issue?
I have a few clean presets that now distort and are clipping. I noticed that the clipping seems to be the cab blocks with Redwire cabs. Also noticed the new Tx star amp (Lonestar) sounds bad( harsh sound, distorts, almost like digital distortion) when you turn the gain up past 12 noon. But if you put a drive block in front of it. It distorts nicely ???? I would like to raise the gain on this for a little bite, without adding a drive block. I am sure the amp works that way ???
I didn't load Bank A after the firmware update, because all of my presets are in Bank A. Just thought I make note of that in case anyone thought this could be the cause. I did do a system reset after the firmware upgrade however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Did the update yesterday and noticed a few things that I didn't like. I wanted to know if anyone else has experience these issue?
I have a few clean presets that now distort and are clipping. I noticed that the clipping seems to be the cab blocks with Redwire cabs. Also noticed the new Tx star amp (Lonestar) sounds bad( harsh sound, distorts, almost like digital distortion) when you turn the gain up past 12 noon. But if you put a drive block in front of it. It distorts nicely ???? I would like to raise the gain on this for a little bite, without adding a drive block. I am sure the amp works that way ???
I didn't load Bank A after the firmware update, because all of my presets are in Bank A. Just thought I make note of that in case anyone thought this could be the cause. I did do a system reset after the firmware upgrade however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

I have noticed that some of the Fender clean presets were doing that also. When I turned down the master volume from 10 back to like 8 or 9 and bumped the drive down, some of this cleaned up. But it wasn't "dirty" in a good way when it was at 10 with the drive at the preset default value. I have not played with the cabs with the new firmware on those amps and presets. Even the doubleverb (Twiv Reverb) preset was distorting, and that is the cleanest amp on the unit. Nothing was clipping, my guitar only hits the red on the input if I strum extremely hard. I hadn't posted about it because I thought that I must be doing something stupid, but now I know it is not just me.

V. 2 Friedman HBE was the best amp to come out of the Axe II, now gone with v.3. The gain is different in a bad way, muddy and non articulate. Yes I took the time trying to find the right balance between the new mv/level relationship it's not the same as what we had before. Glad I saved my pre sets.

Last edited:
V. 2 Friedman HBE was the best amp to come out of the Axe II, now gone with v.3. The gain is different in a bad way, muddy and non articulate. Yes I took the time trying to find the right balance between the new mv/level relationship it's not the same as what we had before. Glad I saved my pre sets.

That amp model is unchanged in V3.

I have noticed that some of the Fender clean presets were doing that also. When I turned down the master volume from 10 back to like 8 or 9 and bumped the drive down, some of this cleaned up. But it wasn't "dirty" in a good way when it was at 10 with the drive at the preset default value. I have not played with the cabs with the new firmware on those amps and presets. Even the doubleverb (Twiv Reverb) preset was distorting, and that is the cleanest amp on the unit. Nothing was clipping, my guitar only hits the red on the input if I strum extremely hard. I hadn't posted about it because I thought that I must be doing something stupid, but now I know it is not just me.
Thanks for chiming in Babuka. Maybe I didn't update right.
Should I upload the 3.0 Bank A (erasing my presets) after backing up, of course. Then reload them one at a time back in????? Any thoughts from anyone else?????

If the HBE is unchanged then I have missed something in the upgrade because when I take a previous Mark Day stolen and tweaked pre set from v. 2 and switch amp type then back it sounds totally muddy. Is this because it is reverting the eq settings? If so my apologies for my ignorance.

It's strange how so many people have been thrown for a loop on this update .
Are you guys all using FRFR to get your tones??

Just looking for a common thread cause most love it .
Have you loaded the new preset banks ,Have you checked to make sure a power amp voicing default is in neutral and not in dark or something
Has Scott said i would move my presets reload the new Bank A 60 presets that are the basic dry models .Turn off all the effects fine a sound and voicing you like .then dial through all the amps..
if nothing has changed in the model then something has changed in the setting ..

the only time I saw similar was the first people with the 2 and the issue was trying to dial in the Ultra setting the same way.
Dont necessarily use a RW cab because it worked before of a gain setting on 7 because it worked before ..

I think the steps that Scott mentioned really are going to be the easiest than trying to get exisiting presets to sound exactly the same ..

Good Luck

Try setting the Power Amp Low Cut and Power Amp High Cut to the same values as the Low Cut Freq and the Hi Cut Freq and let me know what you think. To me it seemed like some of the amps regained some of their punch by doing this.

If you turn down the amp level, you may find you have more usable range in your gain and MV controls.

Some of the original presets clip with the new firmware. Simply turn down the Level in the amp block. Reading the manual to understand the parameters and the way the unit works is suggested.

If the HBE is unchanged then I have missed something in the upgrade because when I take a previous Mark Day stolen and tweaked pre set from v. 2 and switch amp type then back it sounds totally muddy. Is this because it is reverting the eq settings? If so my apologies for my ignorance.
Might be the cab sim you are using. Those have change, RW actualy, les bassy! Might be something about it!

Thanks guys, more frustrated and impatient in the re tweaking process. Lowering the master rather than the level was the ticket for the beloved EJ clean tone!

When updating amp blocks for all 384 presets, I found that any third party patch sounded worse with the new amp defaults, including Mark Day's patches. So, I left them at the 2.0 levels where Mark wrote them. This sort of makes sense since his patches have many behind the scene tweaks.

lots of settings change when you do the back and forth thing, LOTS, so the amp model may have not changed, but if you set everthing to default of course you will get different sounds. for example saturation is on in my Mark Day preset but thats not the default.

Some of the original presets clip with the new firmware. Simply turn down the Level in the amp block. Reading the manual to understand the parameters and the way the unit works is suggested.

I was using the new presets. Two questions:

A) Does the Double Verb preset using the Twin Reverb suppose to be breaking up like I am hearing it with the new firmware and presets? It has always been clean before.

B) Can the amp block level be too loud for the cabinet block and cause clipping that does not show up on the LED lights?

It seems that by going to 'default' parameters it is not the optimal tone, so I would say no Fender is not supposed to break up, just like re setting the Friedmans does not sound good. You adjust to taste once re set.

B) Can the amp block level be too loud for the cabinet block and cause clipping that does not show up on the LED lights?
Internal clipping is very unlikely. Any clipping that occurs is pretty much limited to the inputs and outputs.

This probably belongs in the feature request section, but one thing I'd love to see is the ability to individually meter the output of each block. Something simple like while you're in layout mode, press a button to see an on screen meter displaying the output level of the signal as it comes out of the selected block.

This probably belongs in the feature request section, but one thing I'd love to see is the ability to individually meter the output of each block. Something simple like while you're in layout mode, press a button to see an on screen meter displaying the output level of the signal as it comes out of the selected block.

What really matters is the output level. Cliff could have just as easily said turn down the main output level in layout menu. It would stop the clipping as well. The amp block is just the biggest source of gain in the blocks. As has been said, it is not an individual block that clips but the sum of all the blocks.

For example, You could have the amp block turned up all the way and a volume block after it turned to 1 and you probably would not clip.

Back
Top Bottom