Movin' On Up... Fractal Forum Migration!

I had downloaded a bunch of recent patches, from the last month, and now I know why most are corrupt. Damn! Some of the comments about the patches were very enticing too!

I've been liking to read about the patch, which I can't do so much on Axe-change - the comments attribute is kinda short.

I don't have internet on my music computer; Is there anyone else who would want a single site devoted to (thoroughly) indexing patches that could be downloaded conventionally; I know that Axe-change is supposed to serve, and it really is ideal for people who have the Axe FX on the internet-connected computer. But.....

Is the old Forum archived anywhere, or just completely gone? As in all those old Forum posts linked in the Wiki. Are they gone forever or do the links just need to be updated?
The old forum is no longer available on the Internet (as far as I know), but the posts from the old forum are all here in the new forum. As for links to these old posts from the WIKI, I think that would require a very labor-intensive update.

Another possiblity if they have the old forum available and have access to the old attachments (that's usually in a folder on the server) than they could just make a sticky thread and put them all in there with no details or anything. It would be kind of clunky, but at least if you knew the name of the file you were looking for you could find it in there.

but the posts from the old forum are all here in the new forum
That's what I thought too, but, for instance, the oldest posts in the General Discussion forum are like a month old. Are the rest somewhere else?

The OP says they're transferring "- All Threads with open & sticky state." I'm thinking that's not all them, by a long shot...

From another thread:
The Archive link in the footer seems to be just the new forum archived--again nothing more that a month or two old. Am I missing something (again)?

Ah - found the "Pages" buttons at the top. Goes back to 2009. Is there a hidden (maybe in plain sight) search function?

Last edited:
The old forum is down because the Yahoo server it is on became really unstable and the db was crashing every few days. My plan as soon as time allows is to migrate the archive to a new install of PHPBB on this server. Looking for a way to automate creating 301s so old URLs will redirect to their counterparts on the new page. As for attachments, the import process reported success on about 75% and the rest failed for no apparent reason. There is no transparency on that process so I don't expect any further developments. I think what will happen soon enough is a new Axe-Change will come online and things will start to florish there. I hope to be involved in finding a way to integrate patches shared there with the forum. Maybe some new BB code? Time will tell...

I changed it to how we do TGP because folks were complaining.

:D

I can't win! :D

I'll talk to Matt about it and we'll go from there. Thanks for your input guys, we are trying to make everyone happy... but that's not easy.

Any updates on this? At the moment it still seems that new posts are timed-out based on the cookies. I'd like to view the posts like on the old forum, i.e. new posts are new until you read them or mark them as read.

Only way to win would be to allow users to select their preferred way. But I guess that's only possible if the forum has such a feature.

knoll said:
Any updates on this? At the moment it still seems that new posts are timed-out based on the cookies. I'd like to view the posts like on the old forum, i.e. new posts are new until you read them or mark them as read.

Only way to win would be to allow users to select their preferred way. But I guess that's only possible if the forum has such a feature.

Nothing from me. I returned to moderator status long ago and have no more keys to the kingdom. LOL. :)

STRONGLY disagree.

TGP runs with an average load of 2500 users at any given time and any honest evaluation of the larger forum communities on the Web (check http://www.big-boards.com ) shows a large percentage of them use VBulletin. The issue to slow connections are related to the ISP and the servers. The software itself, though FAR from perfect, is also FAR from 'buggy and slow'.

This cracks me up now.

Where is the search feature? Oh wait, looks like its been disabled.

Back
Top Bottom