Movin' On Up... Fractal Forum Migration!

Is there a way to search the forum using a phrase instead of keywords? I tried searching on a four-word phrase by putting the phrase in quotes, but Search rejected all four terms individually as being "too common, too short, too long, or..." :(

And speaking of roundabout ways to search... I used to use Google to search the old forum. Link is in my sig, but I'm trying to get it to work with the *new* forum, without any luck. Has anybody figured out what the "site:" data should be in the Google search terms? It's *not* site:forum.fractalaudio.com as you would normally expect...

Has anybody figured out what the "site:" data should be in the Google search terms? It's *not* site:forum.fractalaudio.com as you would normally expect...
The term "site:fractalaudio.com" will generate a search of the forum (along with the rest of Fractal's site), but the forum seems to be be intercepting attempts to get to the page you found. It dumps you at the forum home page instead.

Last edited:
I never got the email with a new password. I hadn't logged in in a while and found the new forum. I think it is a fantastic move! It runs so much faster for me now. Good job to all involved!

I changed it to how we do TGP because folks were complaining.

:D

I can't win! :D

I'll talk to Matt about it and we'll go from there. Thanks for your input guys, we are trying to make everyone happy... but that's not easy.

Thanks for the hard work, Both of you. The over all result is good though I did like how you were able to see at the bottom who was in a particular thread.

Is anyone else having issues with downloading attachments from threads that were migrated from the old forum being corrupt? I can't get anything from the old site to work and I've seen several threads where others have had issues.

I have the same problem. Axe-Edit will not open migrated presets, from f.ex the fender twin thread.

Jens

Yep, most presets and zips seem corrupt (on this forum). Wanted to get them at the old one, but that now seems impossible.
I don't know what the cost was for the old one, but if it was just a few $100 a year, I would have let it up for a while - at least till all links people had can be found or translated to here. Let's hope Matman is correct and these will remap. Still leaves the corrupt stuff... Hope they didn't save them in corrupted state from the old forum and then wiped it clean.

Last edited:
Can someone advise us of the status of the file corruption issue? The forum "powers that be" have been wonderfully quick to reply to issues raised, but I've seen no response on this issue. Admittedly, there may have been a response in another thread that I missed.

Not to harp on this again, because I do love the new forum and appreciate the work put into it, it really is great....BUT the TGP setting for 'new posts' sucks pretty hard. It's 9PM on a sunday and apparently there hasn't been any activity on here at all because it comes up with no posts. Of course now that I posted here that will be different, but the point is that anything that was discussed today that may or may not be groundbreaking information would have to be dug out by going through each subforum. If we could just extend the time that posts are considered new a bit that would be great.

On a side note I haven't heard anything new about old attachments, but I was told about a week ago that whatever process was used to migrate the old forum to here wasn't supposed to support attachments. They had a workaround and apparently it wasn't without issues. To be perfectly honest I think that it may involve manually importing each and every attachment over which of course isn't realistic.

What we could do in the meantime though is if you posted an attachment perhaps you could just go into your old threads and reload the file. If each person did it than it would take a lot less time than trying to have one person do it on their own. Just an idea.

...I haven't heard anything new about old attachments, but I was told about a week ago that whatever process was used to migrate the old forum to here wasn't supposed to support attachments. They had a workaround and apparently it wasn't without issues..
That's unfortunate. Attachments are a major part of the wealth that is the forum. That's not such bad news for olditmers who have already invested lots of hours scouring the forum for tidbits, but it's a major loss for anyone who hasn't, and for anyone who joins the forum in the future. It's sad to think that any attachments we post may be lost to posterity the next time the forum gets an upgrade. Your idea of reposting attachments individually is a good one, but it would be nice to hear the official word from a forum bigwig before asking anyone to proceed.

Not to harp on this again, because I do love the new forum and appreciate the work put into it, it really is great....BUT the TGP setting for 'new posts' sucks pretty hard. It's 9PM on a sunday and apparently there hasn't been any activity on here at all because it comes up with no posts.
+1. "New Posts" is my primary gateway into the forum, and it often shows little or nothing when I know there's a lot more there. On the positive side, it forces me to get off the keyboard and start playing. :):(

Well AFIAK they are working the attachment issue, but I'm not sure if they are completely aware of it which is why I was asking if others had the same problem as I was. I'm not sure if the admin actually owns an AxeFX so if they are just downloading the attachments there is no real way to confirm if they are good or bad. He had asked for specific links to corrupted attachments and I haven't heard from him since. So I'm thinking that he's either working it or thinks that I am an idiot.

Our admin is still at NAMM and will be out of the loop a few more days.

I will continue to do what I can in the meantime. Work with us guys, not against us. I know changes can be frustrating and there are always issues related to large scale moves like the one we just did.

We hear you, and we will continue to strive to have all issues addressed ASAP.

Thanks for the response, Scott. I apologize for giving the impression that I was nagging. That wasn't my intention (I don't think it was shasha's intention either). Not having heard anything "official," I wasn't sure where the issue stood. That's all.

I'm grateful for all the work you guys have put into making the forum as good as it can be. I know it's a lot of work, and I know first-hand the futility of trying to please everyone. I appreciate your work and your patience.

No, I'm pretty much a big jerk and want it fixed right now. :)

It's cool, I've been through a few migrations over the years and this isn't even close to being bad. I was wondering where the admin was since he had been so quick to get back to me in the past on other stuff. I thought that I had pissed him off or something.

OK, prolly a stupid question, or one that's been addressed (search won't allow "old forum" as a search term):

Is the old Forum archived anywhere, or just completely gone? As in all those old Forum posts linked in the Wiki. Are they gone forever or do the links just need to be updated?

Sorry in advance for what's surely forum boneheadedness on my part.

Back
Top Bottom