Movin' On Up... Fractal Forum Migration!

Tom King

Experienced
Hello all and Happy New Year!

It should come as no surprise that this forum has outgrown its modest hosting. It served us well (for the most part), but it is time to say "goodbye" to Yahoo and phpbb and migrate to a dedicated server running vBulletin! The new forum will launch this week, depending on how smoothly we can migrate/exit from the current one. We expect performance, features, and experience to be dramatically improved.

We will leave phpBB up and running until just AFTER the launch, so posts made after the database port on Monday will NOT be moved over. This could mean as little as a few hours, or, if Yahoo gives us much trouble, perhaps a day or two.

Here is a rundown of what we expect to be able to migrate:

- Users and Moderators
- Majority of profile (username, email, joindate, ipaddress last activity, lastvisit)
- All Forums/Categories
- All Threads with open & sticky state
- All Posts
- All PMs

IMPORTANT: PASSWORDS are NOT able to be migrated. Instead, we will email all users a link to a password reset page when the new forum is live. This relies on you having a working email address in your current user profile.

Thanks and here's looking towards a new year and a new home for our community.

-TK

geamala said:
so what are the advantages of doing this?

Did you not read the entire first line?

"It should come as no surprise that this forum has outgrown its modest hosting. It served us well (for the most part), but it is time to say "goodbye" to Yahoo and phpbb and migrate to a dedicated server running vBulletin! The new forum will launch this week, depending on how smoothly we can migrate/exit from the current one. We expect performance, features, and experience to be dramatically improved."

Tom King said:
IMPORTANT: PASSWORDS are NOT able to be migrated. Instead, we will email all users a link to a password reset page when the new forum is live. This relies on you having a working email address in your current user profile.
Where exactly under profile do you put your email address? I'm looking now and nothing jumps out at me.
EDIT: OK - found it - it's under 'account settings'

stevorc321 said:
Tom King said:
Where exactly under profile do you put your email address? I'm looking now and nothing jumps out at me.
EDIT: OK - found it - it's under 'account settings'

Go to the Control Panel>Edit Profile>Account Settings.

A much needed change.

FreaqyFrequency said:
geamala said:

"It should come as no surprise that this forum has outgrown its modest hosting. It served us well (for the most part), but it is time to say "goodbye" to Yahoo and phpbb and migrate to a dedicated server running vBulletin! The new forum will launch this week, depending on how smoothly we can migrate/exit from the current one. We expect performance, features, and experience to be dramatically improved."

of course i read it. i am asking specifically what features and performance are likely to be different......

geamala said:
FreaqyFrequency said:
geamala said:

of course i read it. i am asking specifically what features and performance are likely to be different......

VBulletin is the premier platform for most larger community based forums on the Internet. It offers a myriad of features well beyond what is possible on this platform. Ease of use, enhanced community connectivity (blogs, superior posting interface, ease of use) and far far more feature rich possibilities than are even possible with a limited feature set that phpbb offers.

Matman said:
I wonder if our Avatars and Signatures will migrate? Backing mine up just in case ;)

They should, but prudent precautions are never a bad idea.

The language used by both software platforms is similar; but the options might be different (for instance, size of the avatar, length of the signature, permissions set to allow use images in signatures, etc).

There will be a shake out period for the administrators, moderators and users. Those NOT familiar with the VBulletin platform (especially the forum moderators and administrators) will have a learning curve.

I offer my help to those that might need it to help out if necessary beyond my moderation role here if need be.

Scott Peterson said:
geamala said:
FreaqyFrequency said:

VBulletin is the premier platform for most larger community based forums on the Internet. It offers a myriad of features well beyond what is possible on this platform. Ease of use, enhanced community connectivity (blogs, superior posting interface, ease of use) and far far more feature rich possibilities than are even possible with a limited feature set that phpbb offers.

Its actually pretty terrible software (slow and buggy). Even the large communities they (Internet Brands Inc.) run themselves (such as rctech.net) are really slow especially when there are several users on.

or8ital said:
Its actually pretty terrible software (slow and buggy). Even the large communities they (Internet Brands Inc.) run themselves (such as rctech.net) are really slow especially when there are several users on.

STRONGLY disagree.

TGP runs with an average load of 2500 users at any given time and any honest evaluation of the larger forum communities on the Web (check http://www.big-boards.com ) shows a large percentage of them use VBulletin. The issue to slow connections are related to the ISP and the servers. The software itself, though FAR from perfect, is also FAR from 'buggy and slow'.

Back
Top Bottom