ML Mars PR Cab Packs | IR's based on four Marshall™ pre-Rola™ Greenback cabs [ML Sound Lab]

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Check out the introductory deals: https://ml-sound-lab.com/

Comparison of all four cabinets:

Same setup for all sound samples - Axe-Fx III with default amp settings on the Plexi 50W Jumped amp sim. I highly recommend you try that amp sim with default settings. It was the closest amp sim to my 1971 100w Super Lead Jumped and everything at noon works great. Fender Strat with Suhr pickups for the intros and leads. Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers for the rock rhythm tracks. Just an SM57 IR from each pack and absolutely no post processing apart from a tiny bit of reverb.

I'll give you guys a short history lesson here in case pre-Rola doesn't ring a bell. You've most likely heard of Greenback speakers. Although the modern Greenback is an awesome speaker the design for this speaker was completely different "back in the day" when AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix and the likes created rock'n'roll. The factory that created the cones is said to have burned down in the early 70s and with that factory went the secret formula for one of the main ingredients for the original Greenback - the Pulsonic cones. These cones have later been mimiced by other manufacturers but these are the originals. Some say they come close but having compared them side by side were still comparing a 50 year old speaker to a brand new one. The term pre-Rola comes from the Greenback labels saying Celestion and not Rola which happened in the early 70s. Some of the Rola speakers also have Pulsonic cones (I have two cabs with those as well) but if you have old pre-Rola speakers you're pretty much guaranteed to have Pulsonic cones.

The pre-Rola speakers can have a different size magnets, power ratings and cone specs. The most commonly used ones for guitar are medium and heavy magnets and a 55Hz bass cone and 75hz lead cone. So if you've ever wondered what the M stands for in the G12M25 - it's the medium magnet with a 25w power rating. If you've ever wondered what the H stands for in the G12H30 - it's the heavy magnet with a 30w power rating. So these four cabinets are:
  • Mars PR-M75 based on a vintage Marshall™ 4x12 cabinet with rare pre-Rola™ Celestion™ T1221 Greenback speakers
  • Mars PR-H55 based on a vintage Marshall™ 4x12 cabinet with rare pre-Rola™ Celestion™ T1281 Greenback speakers
  • Mars PR-M55 based on a vintage Marshall™ 4x12 cabinet with rare pre-Rola™ Celestion™ T1511 Greenback speakers
  • Mars PR-H75 based on a vintage Marshall™ 4x12 cabinet with rare pre-Rola™ Celestion™ T1217 Greenback speakers
Again the M/H stands for the magnet size and the 55/75 stands for the cone type being bass/lead.

The PR-M75 pre-Rola is "the Greenback" used by everyone from AC/DC to Eddie Van Halen.
The PR-H55 pre-Rola is the one that was used by Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore etc.
The PR-M55 pre-Rola is a crossbreed with the medium magnet and the bass cone.
The PR-H75 pre-Rola is a crossbreed with the heavy magnet and the lead cone.

While the Pulsonic cone is the "main missing ingredient" I will say that the 55/75 indicator makes the bigger difference in tone. I love the 75 cones with humbuckers and 55 cones with single coils but obviously they all work great with just about anything. I would recommend giving the single mics a shot to get that raw vintage sound instead of a polished modern sound which obviously you can also do with these but I feel like the single mics emphasize the pre-Rola vintageness.

I'll be posting more clips next week so remember to follow this thread and be sure to ask me anything about these speakers. I have quite many of them and have experience miking them a lot. :)

Here's a link to our website for more info: https://ml-sound-lab.com/

Last edited:
What is the procedure for uploading these *.wav CAB-IRs files to AX8 ?
Normally AX8 Edit supports syx IR's files, do I need to do some conversion from wav files using an external program?

The H55 is a completely different cab that I've never done before. The other cabs do use some of the same speakers as the Legends packs. These new packs allow you to place mics dead center on the speaker or all the way to the cone and inbetween while Legends only had one brightness per mic per speaker. Those brighter mic positions are really good for classic tones.

Thanks, gonna have to think on this one, I purchased several paks of similar content and frankly it s getting a bit expensive.

I have all the other packs (included ML Legends). I really don’t need this pack.
But a moment of weakness...and « pof » I bought it.
I just quickly checked the mixes. From memory, they do not sound the same as ML Legends.
They sound good but I’m biased because I like the sound of ML IRs.

I have all the other packs (included ML Legends). I really don’t need this pack.
But a moment of weakness...and « pof » I bought it.
I just quickly checked the mixes. From memory, they do not sound the same as ML Legends.
They sound good but I’m biased because I like the sound of ML IRs.
So they sound noticeably different than the previous IR's?

I don't know how long I can hold out. I've owned the Scumback versions of the H55 and H75 and they were my goto speaker(s) - they were paired in a 2x12. The samples here sounded so close to my speakers (on my HS8 monitors), so good that I'm drooling :) I used them mainly with my Metro JTM45 I built and modified and it was pure heaven... I don't think this is going to pass!

The run-through is here:

Kind of like the Freeman pack these require close to no tweaking to give you a mix-ready sound. I'm explaining the tones and giving you sound samples between the "A mixes" and SM57 dark to bright showcasing. Enjoy!

I'm personally torn between the M75 and H55. For some reason I really don't want to mix them as I want them to sound like one speaker. The H75 is becoming a new favorite for sure - I mean it makes a Plexi djent so imagine using it with modern amp sims. :O

Is this similar or the same as the ML Legends pack? Looking at purchasing one or the other.
There are some similarities. I bought a better PR-H55 cab so it's completely new but the darker captures for the other speakers can possibly have some overlap. Legends is a great pack but if you really want that Jimi/Jimmy Page/Ritchie Blackmore sound then I think the new version will be better. These new packs also have more brightness variation.

Hey Mikko
How does the M75 differ in this pack
From your greatest hits. Is that one a mix file or just a 57 mid brightness
I love that cab w the boosted Brit silver

The Greatest Hits PR75 is actually from the very first pre-Rola IR shoot we did for Cab Pack 20 so it's not the same exact cabinet that was used for the new pack. :)

These are fantastic! Great job Mikko! Highly recommended for purchase and I have tried just about every single commercial IR available. Especially the M55 which is my favorite speaker...has that kkkerrrang with any plexi type model!

Back
Top Bottom