MFC101 pics!!!

Yeah - waiting for this foot controller blows. I am tempted to get the Voodoo labs Control board - but I know that as soon as I pull the trigger on it this MFC thing is going to be available and I am going to then buy it and be stuck with both. I'm just going to suck it up and wait it out. But really - if there was a simple plug and play solution - meaning a midi foot control pedal that was truly phantom powered through the AXE (meaning I don't have to use any AC - just the single MIDI cable from the AXE into the board) and it had an expression pedal input - I would probably get it. After reviewing the list of available midi control devices available - I don't think any of them fit the bill. SOmeone chime in here and correct me if I am wrong.

spakuloid said:
Yeah - waiting for this foot controller blows. I am tempted to get the Voodoo labs Control board - but I know that as soon as I pull the trigger on it this MFC thing is going to be available and I am going to then buy it and be stuck with both. I'm just going to suck it up and wait it out. But really - if there was a simple plug and play solution - meaning a midi foot control pedal that was truly phantom powered through the AXE (meaning I don't have to use any AC - just the single MIDI cable from the AXE into the board) and it had an expression pedal input - I would probably get it. After reviewing the list of available midi control devices available - I don't think any of them fit the bill. SOmeone chime in here and correct me if I am wrong.

The MFC is going to be the same as any other phantom powered (meaning you will have to use AC into the slot provided on the axe-fx). The ground control pro, FX1, Liquid Control, All access, and many more do this w/ one midi cable.

They all also have multiple expression pedal inputs.

Other than the upcoming mfc101, the liquid control is the only one that will auto-sync and have bi-directional communication w/ the axe-fx. Both do this thru one midi cable.

Hi Java, the LC seems to be gone underground - no reaction the last two weeks
to any mail, pm or whatever........Are you sure anyone more will get an controller
from that man??

Has anyone tried, or looked at the mastermind? It's a relatively cheap ($350 ish) small footprint mfc:

mm_large.jpg

mm_back.jpg

Features:

• Program Change and Continuous Controller message support (4 PC and 8 CC messages per preset, all on different MIDI channels)[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • Expression pedal input[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • 125 presets, arranged in 25 banks of 5 presets[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • Phantom power capability when using a 7 pin MIDI cable[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • A Remote In jack, which allows the synchronized use of multiple MasterMind controllers on stage[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • Rugged 18 gauge steel enclosure[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • Flexible power requirements: 9V-18V, AC or DC, 200mA[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • 16"W x 6"D x 2.75"H (40.6cm x 15.2cm x 7cm)[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]
  • 3.9lb (1.8kg)[/*:m:yfrdmvwb]

OK - I must be retarded. Or maybe I'm just used to the ease and functionality of Line 6 :shock:

Explain why I need to plug ANYTHING but a 7 pin MIDI cable (which runs phantom power within it) from the various Ground Control Midi boards to the Axe FX?

For Example - I had a Guitar Head (Egnater MOD100) that used a single 7 pin Midi cable to power it's 6 button channel switching midi controller (which was made by another company Axess). There was no need to run additional power - or pulg anything but a 7 pin MIDI cable from the head to the floorboard.

Why is this different? I feel frigging stupid here - and I run a Final Cut Pro editing facility and a Logic music studio full of midi and outboard gear. Am I in the Twilight Zone? The guitar dork twilight zone :eek:

That Mastermind looks like the ticket for me.

Now about the power issue.... WHAT GIVES!!!

I am pretty new to this midi controller way to do things. But I am on "the List" for the MFC101. In the mean time I bought a used roctron midimate for $85 off of Craig's List.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIMATE/

It works to get me around a bit. I can change patches and within each patch I can turn up to 5 blocks on or off. Not sure if it does less or more than the mastermind, but it is quite a bit cheaper. I figure when the MFC is finally available, I should be able to sell the midimate for a possible small loss, and chock it up to rental. In the mean time, I can function in a live setting and I am learning a ton.

dongrosh said:
to any mail, pm or whatever........Are you sure anyone more will get an controller
from that man??
Check the thread you made over there... he replied. Blackberry was dead and he hadn't received any of the PMs.

That RJM looks pretty nice. Simple and effective. Can't find anything wrong with it from briefly reading the specs.

dongrosh said:
from that man??

He answered you in the forum, I've spoke with him 3 times today, 2 times yesterday. Some how your messages aren't getting thru to him. He mentioned that in the forum.

spakuloid said:
OK - I must be retarded. Or maybe I'm just used to the ease and functionality of Line 6 :shock:

Explain why I need to plug ANYTHING but a 7 pin MIDI cable (which runs phantom power within it) from the various Ground Control Midi boards to the Axe FX?

For Example - I had a Guitar Head (Egnater MOD100) that used a single 7 pin Midi cable to power it's 6 button channel switching midi controller (which was made by another company Axess). There was no need to run additional power - or pulg anything but a 7 pin MIDI cable from the head to the floorboard.

Why is this different? I feel frigging stupid here - and I run a Final Cut Pro editing facility and a Logic music studio full of midi and outboard gear. Am I in the Twilight Zone? The guitar dork twilight zone :eek:

That Mastermind looks like the ticket for me.

Now about the power issue.... WHAT GIVES!!!

The 7 pin or 5 pin does carry the power. Every foot controller may mave different power requirement, the axe-fx doesn't know which foot controller you will be using. Instead of limiting you to what Fractal wants you to use, they put a input jack in the back of the axe-fx where you plug in the power for the foot controller, that then passes the power down and couple of the midi pins. You still only need one midi cable. This is pretty standard practice.

Yeah - I wouldn't call it standard practice. Nothing about the Axe Fx is standard practice. But at least now I understand the foot controller power issue. And of course this solution only works if your foot controller comes with a wall wart type power connector. If it comes with an ordinary 3 prong AC power cable - then what? What is standard practice for that?

spakuloid said:
Yeah - I wouldn't call it standard practice. Nothing about the Axe Fx is standard practice. But at least now I understand the foot controller power issue. And of course this solution only works if your foot controller comes with a wall wart type power connector. If it comes with an ordinary 3 prong AC power cable - then what? What is standard practice for that?

Then it doesn't support phantom power period and it is not an issue. It is standard practice, I have 3 or 4 effects units in my studio that do exactly the same thing including the Eventide Eclipse.

When I heard late October on the MFC-101, I pulled the pin and ordered an All Access. (I gots to has sumfin to gig wit!)

If the MFC-101 gets released, then the All Access may go the Way of the Bay. :cool:

xrist04,

You took a look at the Liquid-Foot and still opted for the All Access? What sold you on it?

Well, for example, I'm one of those who thinks the Liquid is TOO mig for my personal use... more buttons that I will ever use (for my m usic style and for what I use live), and that means a bigger pedalboard... bigger space needed on stage (imagine small stages where 5 guys almost can enter :D), I'd need half stage for myself :D.

I personally prefer a smaller one... like fractal's... but now that is so delayed, I will start looking for other options... but now sure yet :$. (I wish they could release it soon :( ).

Benkenove said:
Well, for example, I'm one of those who thinks the Liquid is TOO mig for my personal use... more buttons that I will ever use (for my m usic style and for what I use live), and that means a bigger pedalboard... bigger space needed on stage (imagine small stages where 5 guys almost can enter :D), I'd need half stage for myself :D.

I personally prefer a smaller one... like fractal's... but now that is so delayed, I will start looking for other options... but now sure yet :$. (I wish they could release it soon :( ).

Yep, it is large about the same size as an fx-1. MFC-101 is about the same size as an All Acess. Different product for different needs.

Exactly... ;) although the Liquid is even bigger than the FX1... I personally think tha the FX1 could be the biggest size (for me)... althought the MFC size is a little better... I also like the Gaspedal... which nobody seems to like... although I simply love it... the only step down for me is the price, which I also think it's really high... but I like 8 presets, 10 IA... also like the button style, really strongs (I had bad experiences with the standard buttons with a little time)...

Well, let's see what we can say when the MFC is released, (hope soon :( ).

javajunkie said:
Yep, it is large about the same size as an fx-1. MFC-101 is about the same size as an All Acess. Different product for different needs.

Benkenove said:
Exactly... ;) although the Liquid is even bigger than the FX1... I personally think tha the FX1 could be the biggest size (for me)... althought the MFC size is a little better... I also like the Gaspedal... which nobody seems to like... although I simply love it... the only step down for me is the price, which I also think it's really high... but I like 8 presets, 10 IA... also like the button style, really strongs (I had bad experiences with the standard buttons with a little time)...

Well, let's see what we can say when the MFC is released, (hope soon :( ).

javajunkie said:

The Liquid is about 2 in. wider. It is about a half inch less deep than the Fx1

Back
Top Bottom