Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v2.0!

I'm going to have to update all the tones when fw15 is released so stay tuned for that.
I will also be posting a cool little treat in the coming days.
I will say for now that I was at the pinkpop festival and it was a very special day!
Stay tuned for more Metallica goodness! :) :)

Calling on Jon!! Calling on Jon!! Firmware 15.2 needs your metal services with those Metallica patches needing to be updated!

You are the man Jon and everyone purchase his most excellent Raptor album!!

Calling on Jon!! Calling on Jon!! Firmware 15.2 needs your metal services with those Metallica patches needing to be updated!

You are the man Jon and everyone purchase his most excellent Raptor album!!

Hey man!
I'm definitely planning on updating all the sounds.
However, at the moment I'm very busy finishing up my band's new release that should be out on the 4th of July...
So that has priority now.
You can load one of my patches and use the preset update feature for now.

Reactions: esp
I've been playing the Seek and Destroy left channel as-is on 14.02 FW, which was killer. I upgraded to 15.02 FW and restored all amp defaults, and then it was really thin. The amp master vol was showing 3.4. I cranked that up to 10 and it is sounding killer again.

I'm just going to continue through the rest of the discography including garage Inc. etc.
If you have any cool metallica tones that you would like to have tonematched send me a link or even better, an mp3 or wav snippet of the exact part you would like to have tonematched.
I already have the master tracks from all the guitar hero stuff.
But maybe cool live tones or rare versions of songs.
I would love to do some live tonematches from metallica.
The problem is finding parts where you only hear the one guitar you are trying to tonematch.
Anyhow, fun stuff this is!

Jon, your inbox is so full of love I can't even PM you to say how grateful I am.

Hey man!
I'm definitely planning on updating all the sounds.
However, at the moment I'm very busy finishing up my band's new release that should be out on the 4th of July...
So that has priority now.
You can load one of my patches and use the preset update feature for now.

Hi everybody, hi Guitarjon.

Of course I would like to have you updating all your tonematches with FW 15.02 too but I know it requires a lot of work and time. Moreover this new firmware is so cool that it would be very interesting to have an update of Metallica tonematches.
However, Cliff announced something very cool maybe for next firmware : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/87827-user-amp-models.html#post1062696
This could give you the possibility to use new hybrid amp blocks such as a Mark IIC+ preamp + Marshall poweramp. For Metallica sounds, this could matter a lot.

If you wanted to wait for next firmware to release an update, I think nobody would blame you, your work is already so cool.

Hi everybody, hi Guitarjon.

Of course I would like to have you updating all your tonematches with FW 15.02 too but I know it requires a lot of work and time. Moreover this new firmware is so cool that it would be very interesting to have an update of Metallica tonematches.
However, Cliff announced something very cool maybe for next firmware : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/87827-user-amp-models.html#post1062696
This could give you the possibility to use new hybrid amp blocks such as a Mark IIC+ preamp + Marshall poweramp. For Metallica sounds, this could matter a lot.

If you wanted to wait for next firmware to release an update, I think nobody would blame you, your work is already so cool.

I will update the sounds! I'm still very busy though.... soon!

Sorry about the hold-up everybody.
My summer holiday starts next week so I'm planning on re-checking all the sounds then.
I have some ideas for a couple of new matches and if the sounds are really off because of the new firmware I'll have to redo them so it may take a while to get everything right.
Metontour is becoming a good source for live tonematches.
If you hear some good isolated parts le me know here and I'll see if the sounds are good to match.
I would also like to do more Kirk Hammet lead tones so suggestions are welcome for this also.
I've also thought about doing some bass matches but I'm worried that the type of bass guitar that I/you guys use will make too much of a difference, maybe it's still wordt a try though!

Anyhow, in the meantime I've been enjoying the live recordings on youtube and livemetallica from the current tour and the sounds are great!
I'm really impressed at how Chad, Justin and Zach have tweaked their sounds.
Has anyone besides me seen them live in the current tour?
How did you like the sounds?
Let's keep this thread alive!

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and rookie Axe FX II XL user. I purchased it a week ago and learning to use it. So far, I'm impressed. It is easy to get great tones IMO.

I'm also a big Metallica fan. I've always been looking for those tones, especially Het's live tones. It is also nice to hear they currently use Axe FX II rigs in tour. I was in Helsinki 28.5.2014 and the tones was amazing.

Here is my first try -> James' live rhythm. I used Guitarjon's "ThisOne V30" as a cab. Feel free to comment or criticize. I'm just learning. Ignore my playing ;)

Attachments

• Jaymz_live.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
@ Guitarjon:
Amazing piece of work! We all owe you ;-)...
What sound of yours do you recommend for the solo part in "Fade to Black" and "Enter Sandman"?

Sorry about the hold-up everybody.
My summer holiday starts next week so I'm planning on re-checking all the sounds then.
I have some ideas for a couple of new matches and if the sounds are really off because of the new firmware I'll have to redo them so it may take a while to get everything right.
Metontour is becoming a good source for live tonematches.
If you hear some good isolated parts le me know here and I'll see if the sounds are good to match.
I would also like to do more Kirk Hammet lead tones so suggestions are welcome for this also.
I've also thought about doing some bass matches but I'm worried that the type of bass guitar that I/you guys use will make too much of a difference, maybe it's still wordt a try though!

Anyhow, in the meantime I've been enjoying the live recordings on youtube and livemetallica from the current tour and the sounds are great!
I'm really impressed at how Chad, Justin and Zach have tweaked their sounds.
Has anyone besides me seen them live in the current tour?
How did you like the sounds?
Let's keep this thread alive!

I haven't actually seen them, but I have been following the downloads and listening. It truly is awesome listening to the tones progress from when they 1st started gigging this "fans vote the setlist" tour. What I'm noticing now is that they are more taking on their own unique live tone as opposed to matching what they had in the past and it's fucking better. I just wish they would dial Rob into the recorded re-mix more, as Live, his bass is way more prominent. I've seen them many times over the last 25 years, never saw them with Cliff Burton, but even Jason's live bass mix was huge. I wonder if for recording they take a feed from FoH or if they are re-mixing the tracks direct for the live metallica downloads.

The last recording I heard was May 30th - Stockholm. It's great to hear they've finally got the gain and overdrive right for not only Kirks' lead tones, but the rhythms which totally rip now, where as before the guitars sounded choked and dampened, and nothing is worse than fighting for sustain and attack when trying to perform, and then getting bashed on because of it.

What's funny in all this is though, I bought the Axe FX II last march of 2013, before Metallica was on-board, and I was trying to convince some tube snob friends that the Axe FX II is no joke and it could easily replace Metallica's massive racks, and they just dismissed me as delusional..... and yet here we are just over a year later and IMO the Axe FX II is doing a better job live than any previous rigs they've used.

Sounds great. Any chance you could give us some screen shots of your settings from Axe edit for the Axe II users?

Here you are. "GuitarHack ThisOne V30.syx" IR is Guitarjon's creation. This is just the beginning...

preset_1.jpgpreset_2.jpg

Attachments

• Jaymz_live2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Jaymz_live.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 87
  • GuitarHack ThisOne V30.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom