Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v2.0!

Let's go back to the Black Album. A lot of things can be found on the web about amps James Hetfield used at this time : mark IIC+ (modified ???), mark IV, modified marshall, IIC+ plugged into a marshall power amp section, ADA MP-1, Strategy 400...
I'd like to focus on two songs : Enter Sandman and Sad But True. What kind of amps do you recognize in these two songs (James Hetfield's sound only).

Thanks.

Hi Clive,

Sorry for the late reply.
Like you said, a lot of stuff can be found on the web about the amps used during the recording of metallica's albums.
A lot of stuff was probably done in the studio to create those tones.
Many mics, amps, cabs, Mixing processors like eq's and pre-amps were probably used.
James is well known to be a MK II C+ user so for the black album tonematches I stuck with that amp because it sounds similar gain wise.
The tonematching basically does the rest except for things like modulation and reverb.
It's almost impossible to say what amps and settings were used exactly.

Thanks for your reply.
For Sad but true, I wonder if some Marshall amps were used ? Have you ever tried to use the IIC+ block and a marshall block to tonematch Sad but true ?

One more thing Guitarjon : On the Black album (and maybe on other albums), James played one guitar track for the left, one for the right and a "thickener" as he said for both (center). This thickener isn't played all the time for layering and we can hear when it's present or not. When you tonematch for example the left guitar, do you take a piece of audio guitar only with this thickener or without ? I think it makes a difference.

Thanks for your reply.
For Sad but true, I wonder if some Marshall amps were used ? Have you ever tried to use the IIC+ block and a marshall block to tonematch Sad but true ?

One more thing Guitarjon : On the Black album (and maybe on other albums), James played one guitar track for the left, one for the right and a "thickener" as he said for both (center). This thickener isn't played all the time for layering and we can hear when it's present or not. When you tonematch for example the left guitar, do you take a piece of audio guitar only with this thickener or without ? I think it makes a difference.

Well, sometimes a left or right channel has bleed in it from the other side or double tracked guitars from the center channel.
If this is the case I always try to do multiple matches and see wich one works best for me.

Me and axe change don't get along very well.
I find the navigation a bit annoying.
I'd rather post it here.....
Maybe I could post a rar with all the files?
Maybe an admin could help me with this...
An RAR with all the files would be cool!

I found it thanks the other guitar player in my band uses a Mark V and hes flipping out over these tones!

Last edited:
I'd Imagine that some of the tones could work well in a live situations.
Probably the more mid range tones like king nothing.
I don't think the justice tones would work well live but who knows, try!

Hi Guys, i am kinda new to this, and i do not own a Axe FX yet. So forgive my ignorence. What kind of Axe FX do you need to use these patches ? Do they only work with the newer models ? Or woud they also be usable using a Axe FX Ultra for instance ?

Thanks for the great work ! The sound samples sounded amazing !

I may be able to get a used Axe FX Ultra so would be great if these settings could be used or somehow converted to older devices.

You will need an Axe Fx 2.
I must say that I made these patches for fw14 and I don't know how they would sound with the latest fw15 beta.

Back
Top Bottom