Matrix Q12a is out

Q12a Active Monitor :: Matrix

Looks pretty cool. I do have a question for the Matrix guys though and that is why they haven't made it slant at an angle for monitoring in front of you? Or is there a different idea behind these?

Very keen to hear some reviews of this though.

Cheers.

I wish they made the passive model in that cab style. Probably one of the biggest reason I still haven't switched to FRFR and just use a Matrix power amp into a standard guitar cab is because I don't know where I'd set my amp! I don't want a wedge or a narrow PA style cab. I want a passive FRFR cab that looks like a guitar cab. It's probably partly psychological and I feel like a guitar won't sound like a guitar through a wedge or something that looks like a PA. Like the shape of the cab will makes it sound right. But I also just want the look of a head (small rack) on top of a horizontal rectangular cab 1x12 or 2x12 cab, and to be able to set the head on top the cab like normal, rather than my rack on the floor and a wedge or something.

Thanks for the heads-up!

...why they haven't made it slant at an angle for monitoring in front of you? Or is there a different idea behind these?
These are intended for backline use. I believe there's an active wedge coming along, too.

Q12a Active Monitor :: Matrix

Looks pretty cool. I do have a question for the Matrix guys though and that is why they haven't made it slant at an angle for monitoring in front of you? Or is there a different idea behind these?

Very keen to hear some reviews of this though.

Cheers.

Hi there,
Thankyou for the compliment. We had received hundreds of requests for a traditional styled FRFR solution rather than the wedge style we had already built with the CFR12 Passive Monitor

The latest review on this forum of the CFR12 was by Clarky, a search for the phrase "Dome of awesomeness" should find it quite nicely.
The Q12 uses the same coaxial driver as the CFR12, and powers it with the GM50 which sounds the same as one channel of the GT1000FX.

Therefore the review of the CFR12 powered by a Matrix Class A/B amp ( all of our range ) should give you a good starting point.

I look forward to hearing from you if you have any questions.

My best regards
Matt

matt @ matrixamplification dot com

They are releasing a passive version of that cab soon ..... very interested in hearing a review

Edit: oops .... Matt snuck in there as I was writing

I wish they made the passive model in that cab style. Probably one of the biggest reason I still haven't switched to FRFR and just use a Matrix power amp into a standard guitar cab is because I don't know where I'd set my amp! I don't want a wedge or a narrow PA style cab. I want a passive FRFR cab that looks like a guitar cab. It's probably partly psychological and I feel like a guitar won't sound like a guitar through a wedge or something that looks like a PA. Like the shape of the cab will makes it sound right. But I also just want the look of a head (small rack) on top of a horizontal rectangular cab 1x12 or 2x12 cab, and to be able to set the head on top the cab like normal, rather than my rack on the floor and a wedge or something.

Hi there,
Have you had a chance to look at the front cover of the manual on the Q12a page ?

In the meantime the active cab can be used as passive if you wish. Just unplug the GM50 and you have a traditional looking passive cab, loaded with a 260 watt coaxial 8 ohm driver, that you can power with any amp of your choice.

Hope this helps.
My best regards
Matt

This is the coolest box i have ever seen.
Never have i heard so much power in such a litle box.
IMO the best choise on the market atm.

Last edited:

http://www.kpa-solutions.com/?page_id=198

Thanks for the replies. I can see how the cab style can be desirable yeah, so I'm definitely interested. My Axe-Fx 2 literally arrives tomorrow (after weeks of shipping) so I'm going to have to decide which monitoring option I want in the next month or so. I live in Cape Town, South Africa, so options to hear the better products do not exist. I can get an RCF12 here for R15000, which is about a 1000 pounds. Or I can get the Q12a, because I do like the idea of a cab style speaker, or get the Matrix 1000 and a passive cab. Then there's the new Atomic wedges soon...

Problem is, I cannot listen to any of them in person so really have to go by what I mostly read on this forum. Decisions, decisions... I'm leaning towards the Gt1000FX or even the 1600 with CFR passive wedge. That way I have the flexibility of using different speakers and cabs and aren't bound to a single speaker. And it will probably be about the same price as an RCF12 here.

Cheers.

I want a passive FRFR cab that looks like a guitar cab. It's probably partly psychological and I feel like a guitar won't sound like a guitar through a wedge or something that looks like a PA.

like you, I'm an ol' skool backline kinda guy that likes the 'big boxes'

I use a Matrix GT1000FX to drive a pair of Marshall 1960b cabs
and when I first tried this out in a rehearsal studio, everything was 'there'.. just as I like it..
the fat tone.. the raw power.. and the punch...
and also like yourself, there's something Rock'n'Roll about being stood in front of the Marshall wall

but then I tried a pair of CFR12 wedges... and was taken by surprise..
they are plenty loud.. no question..
and the tone is wonderful...
although easily loud enough, one pair of wedges won't boot you in the ribs like a pair of 4x12 cabs..
and I know for some folk [me included], that sort of punch is part of your stage vibe..
which incidentally is why I'm going deaf...
that said... we did try two pairs of CFR's [one pair to tyhe front, the other to the rear] and the result is jaw-dropping..
you get the fat tone.. a pile of volume.. and you get 'the punch' of the big box..
it's a different kind of punch though...
the 4x12 sprays the sound at you in a tight beamed jet.. but you know this already having been on the busness end of them...
where the wedges have a wider throw, you feel the punch a little less intensely, but you get it from all sides..

as soon as you are stood inside all that tone, you forget about the bix boxes in a heartbeat
the tone is so attention consuming that you don't even notice that they are no longer there

Thanks for the replies. I can see how the cab style can be desirable yeah, so I'm definitely interested. My Axe-Fx 2 literally arrives tomorrow (after weeks of shipping) so I'm going to have to decide which monitoring option I want in the next month or so. I live in Cape Town, South Africa, so options to hear the better products do not exist. I can get an RCF12 here for R15000, which is about a 1000 pounds. Or I can get the Q12a, because I do like the idea of a cab style speaker, or get the Matrix 1000 and a passive cab. Then there's the new Atomic wedges soon...

Problem is, I cannot listen to any of them in person so really have to go by what I mostly read on this forum. Decisions, decisions... I'm leaning towards the Gt1000FX or even the 1600 with CFR passive wedge. That way I have the flexibility of using different speakers and cabs and aren't bound to a single speaker. And it will probably be about the same price as an RCF12 here.

Cheers.

Hi there,
You can get a quote from the online store including shipping to Cape Town for all of the Matrix products.
If you would like any help please shoot me an email to matt @ matrix amplification.com or give me your number and I shall give you a call.

My best regards
Matt

Hey

Thanks Matt, I have actually chatted to you on mail before. Going to make a decision in the new year and will get in touch then if I go the Matrix way. Cheers.

This looks like a great option !
I believe the dispersion on the Q12A is 60 degrees. My only complaint with the RCF12 is its tight focus.
Is it safe to say the Q has better dispersion for off axis listening than the RCF12

I have done some digging and dispersion is:
RCF12sma. 60x60
Q12P. 80X80

I guess that extra 20 degrees may help a lot ? Can anyone in the know comment ?

Back
Top Bottom