Matrix Q12a is out

Yes, when you take a look at the RCF's typical specsheets, they show how the frequency curves are like when you walk off axis. Complicated, sure, but also necessary.

Edit: Forgot to say. What a great looking FRFR. Want.

Last edited:
I'm so ordering one in mid january. I'm eager to see If it will go well with the deeflex, or if it's needed at all. I would think 80x80 is pretty good for spreading the sound on a stage and in the room. But I need to try it with this deeflex just to see if I like it and if the deeflex' way of making that soundsphere is any good. Something tells me the Q12a will be pretty crazy on it's own. But I've got to try the deeflex, just got to :)

First impression of this diminutive box of power.... AKA the dome of awesomeness!

I wont tell you about the build quality as it is superlative and will no doubt deal with the rigours of heavy usage and gigging.

Now to the most important part the sound. I have only managed to play the Matrix at moderate volumes for the most part, with a little bit of time at higher dBs and the sound quality of my patches is amazing (I'm modest too lol). The Matrix has certainly raised the game here! You know the moment when you plug into a piece of kit, or when you pick up 'the' guitar that feels as if it was always meant for you and you get the hairs on the back of your neck standing on edge. Well this is what the Matrix did to me within moments of plugging in.

What has truly made my jaw drop is that via the Axe Fx the Matrix is able to convey every nuance the Axe is able to produce. The best examples I can give you are that when I swapped out different cabs and speakers the Matrix was able to articulate the differences so well. I have been using a Yamaha DSR112 that I have raved about in the past, but the Matrix surpasses the DSR is every aspect of sound quality.

From such a compact box the Matrix can easily convey different room types, from a small room to a cathedral... I know this is also due to the power of the Axe Fx but close your eyes and you could either be in a small room venue or a massive hall at the touch of a patch and this to me shows the strength of the Matrix in being able to produce this so well.

Going back to swapping out cabs and playing with IRs the Matrix can produce a rich organic tweed Champ to a balls out Engl tight Euro metal. You can easily hear the difference between a sim that is based on a 10inch speaker or one that is based on a kick ass Uber Euro 412. You can easily distinguish between a patch that is built to sound 'in the room' and one that is designed to sound mic'd.

I'm not a high gain player and most of my time is in the realms of light crunch Blues and I am seriously impressed that I can get a 'genuine' vintage sag coming through this monitor, from low to moderate volumes.

I wont be able to crank the Matrix until tomorrow and I will let you know how it cuts when I'm with the crew and what they think of it too.

So far one happy Matrix and Fractal user!

I emailed Matt regarding the Q12a and got a response in less than an hour. I told him I was pretty much ready to purchase one immediately and he took the time to call me to finalize the order right away so that they could ship it out the same day. He was concerned about not only getting it out right away but I also think it had something to do with the holiday shipping frenzy and the shipping gets backed up and the rates increase. So he cared enough to get it to me as fast as possible and to save me some money.

I have a GT800FX, so I have dealt with Matrix in the past (and have every confidence in their products) and knew their customer service was great, but DAMN. They are great, and I'm glad I emailed him when I did because I already have a Q12a on the way with a tracking number. Couldn't have asked for more from them.

I originally wanted a passive cab because I already have the GT800, but I decided it would be good to have the active cab for more possibilities and especially to always have backup power, just in case. If I understand correctly, the GM50 in my Q12a is basically a single channel 500w version of the GT1000FX. I have never needed any more volume from my GT800 and I can't imagine the GT1000 sounding any better, but maybe the GM50 in the Q12a will become my main source of power and the GT800 will be the backup. I just can't decide if I want a passive Q12 to have a backline style setup with two 12'' speakers, or if I want to just runt the single Q12a and get a Matrix passive wedge for a monitor style setup. I guess it will depend on whether I think I need a little extra in the backline department or if I think I will benefit more from an actual monitor pointed up at me so I can hear myself better. We will see, but I can't wait to get my Q12a and give you guys some feedback. I know many are probably waiting for reviews of this thing and that's understandable, but for anyone considering any Matrix product, I suggest you just pull the trigger. They are just amazing and I have full confidence that the Q12a will be every bit as good as everything else they produce.

I want more specs for the q12a :( I don't think even the manual is enough spec'd up when you look at other monitors. The most important part is ofcourse if it sounds good. But then again if it does, as I think it will, then get the juicy goodness on documented paper too! That can't hurt :)

I'm talking spl, watts (tweeter and speaker watt split), fr. Curves, cab material, and db-sensitivity.

Come on matrix, let's go into the trainingprogram and let operator tank install som more specs totally "I know kung fu" like.

Hi all,

I'm not a AxeFX user but have found this forum in my quest to decide upon the best amplification for my Line 6 HD500! Currently, it runs through the 'Effects Return' of my ol' Marshall Valvestate 8080. I don't have any cabs or anything kicking around so effectively have a clean slate.

The Matrix GT800FX came up, and I'd need to get cabs for it, but then this thread leapt out... A powered speaker from Matrix to keep things simple?

Would this really be all the backline I need? Would a power amp + cab combo still be desirable in comparison?

Just a very quick post - the Q12a kicks some punch in a live situation.... it has no problems what soever cutting it. Its still very early days for me with the Q12a but I'm a 100% convinced that the Q12a is a keeper and now planning for a Q12 to form a basic backline to give me even more flexibility.

Re Matrix posting the acoustic stats on the the Q12a - I too would be interested to see them, but above all my ears tell me this FRFR works. Highly recommend you guys get to give the Matrix a go and see/hear for your selves.

I'm waiting for these posts about the matrix Q12a, I've decided to purchase one of these. If this one is not enough I will add a cfr12 wedge. I think the Q12a will cover my monitorneed. It's just a question of bleed. The 80x80 spread is beautiful but if I for some reason can't have that on a stage because of bleed into other mics or something the cfr12 will.. no wait it's going to have the same bleed right? The cfr12 is 80x80?

Ok now I'm just complicating things. I'm sure I will be a happy guitarist with the matrix Q12a :)

Ok now I'm just complicating things. I'm sure I will be a happy guitarist with the matrix Q12a :)

It would take me days to explain going from the Axe II with Yamaha DSR112 back to head/cab and back to the Axe II + FRFR and all the 'reading' I did around the subject... all I need to say is that I have found a combination of Fractal and Matrix that makes me very happy and puts a smile on my face!

Go for it!

Wooord, I was this close to the Rcf nx 12sma. Then this matrix showed up all sensual and seductive.. It's like a pie in a windshield.

Last edited:
I bought the Matrix CFR12 about a month ago and have just bought a second one to go true stereo - it is in the post as I type. I cannot praise Matrix and their equipment enough. I have also got the Matrix GT800FX amp which is lightweight and sounds amazing with the CFR12 monitors.

I actually played a gig just 4 days after getting my Axe FX II and also the Matrix kit and was pleasantly surprised how awesome it sounds live. Somebody in another thread was asking what the difference was between the sound coming out of the CFR and the FOH. I did that little test last night and there wasn't any. It's great to know that what you hear on stage is what the audience is hearing too.

Last night our singer said during a practice 'can you turn down a little as your guitar now sounds so clear that its going over everything else'... hehe. And to top it off, the guys at Matrix are really helpful and efficient. My first enquiry to Matt was written very late on a Saturday night, and within the hour I had a reply! Amazing product and amazing service - and it's British too ;)

I bought the Matrix CFR12 about a month ago and have just bought a second one to go true stereo - it is in the post as I type. I cannot praise Matrix and their equipment enough. I have also got the Matrix GT800FX amp which is lightweight and sounds amazing with the CFR12 monitors.

I actually played a gig just 4 days after getting my Axe FX II and also the Matrix kit and was pleasantly surprised how awesome it sounds live. Somebody in another thread was asking what the difference was between the sound coming out of the CFR and the FOH. I did that little test last night and there wasn't any. It's great to know that what you hear on stage is what the audience is hearing too.

Last night our singer said during a practice 'can you turn down a little as your guitar now sounds so clear that its going over everything else'... hehe. And to top it off, the guys at Matrix are really helpful and efficient. My first enquiry to Matt was written very late on a Saturday night, and within the hour I had a reply! Amazing product and amazing service - and it's British too ;)

Hi there,
We are glad that you are enjoying your CFR12 and GT800FX. I look forward to photos when your CFR's stereo partner arrives :)

My best regards and seasons wishes.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom