Making the MFC and Axe-Fx III work together?

Ok, here is some further commentary:

The file you saved seems ok. It seems to match what I reviewed from your screen shot.

One thing I thought about: do you use Reveal mode or do you want all your scene, IA and preset buttons on the "main" mode of the MFC?

I had set things up to use Starting Preset button to 6 and bank size to 12. Unless you use Reveal, your IA on button #6 will not be visible with that setup.

If you don't use Reveal mode (I never do - not sure it even works with Axe Fx mode "none") then we will need to adjust your starting preset number and bank size.

In MFC-edit, go to the Base Config tab and change them:

upload_2018-5-28_8-48-47.png

Assuming you want 1-5 as scenes and 6-10 as IAs then set First Preset Switch to 11. Your bank size could be up to 7 after that (starting on button 11).

Having a backup of your MFC will help a LOT in answering questions.

I found this in Fractal's support site for making a backup via the Axe Fx (I assume you already have the driver and FractalBot loaded, so you can skip those steps):

http://support.fractalaudio.com/ind...le/View/23/0/mfc-101-backup-using-fractal-bot

EDIT:

I think you will use the same basic setup to SEND your file to the MFC. With everything connected and set the same way, you can use MFC-Edit under "Tools -> Send File to MFC".

I just discovered that in both the "Send" and "Receive" options under tools, there is a "Get Help Connecting" button. It explains all the steps for using the Axe Fx II as the interface, similar to the link above.

Last edited:
You might be able to use the visual MFC mode (your 2nd pic) to add the IAs.

Add a couple and then come back to the page on your 1st pic and see if it added the right stuff.

The "Name" column is just a name, doesn't affect anything. The "Axe Fx Function" column is what would be sent in Axe Fx mode, which we are not using.

If you never modified the CC number assignments in the Axe Fx, then you will probably get the other stuff correctly populated.

Type should be toggle. That means your are toggling on and off.

Send with preset means to send the state of this button on preset change. You want Yes.

GBL means Global - this switch is persistent. You want Yes.

The MFC can send up to 2 control messages per button press. The "c1" and "c2" related columns are for control message 1 (c1) and message 2 (c2).

All of the "c2 CC#" values should be "off". You then don't care about the other c2 columns.

So, yes, c1 CC number 47 (assuming that is Drive 1 Bypass CC) is what you want.

Control message 1 midi channel. It should be 1, since you are using midi channel 1. You would want the same value in every row.

Correct

Correct

Leave those as they are.

I hope you enjoy your time with your mom.

You are making great progress!

One thing I forgot to mention: if you don't have a USB to midi adapter, you can use the Axe Fx II as the interface to send and receive dumps on the MFC (as you previously mentioned) but I can't help on that since I've never used that method.

What I would suggest after you add the Drive IA:

Save the file in MFC-edit.

Follow my previous steps of taking a backup and then load the file.

This way, you can get validation that it is working. After that, you can make more changes, but let us get confirmation of basic functions first.

waiting for my daughter to finish drying her hair..........

Thanks unix guy. I will try AxefxIII out to MFC in to dump program the MFC and see if it works:)

Q #1 So the name and AxeFX function dont have to say anything? It seems you set 1-5 up as scenes 1-5? So I shouldn't have IA #6 sat drive 1 in both columns?

Q #2 You mentioned this in your post... Control message 1 midi channel. It should be 1, since you are using midi channel 1. You would want the same value in every row. Do you mean c1 ch? I dont know what Control message 1 midi channel means.

Looks like my daughter is done. here is my latest saved file.....

I guess next I will need to get my MFC to see my EV-2. I know it was set up in my II but I feel like it needs to be set up in my III as well......

Thanks unix guy. SO just those 2 Q's for now:)

Attachments

• Mjs Dump2.syx
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
Ok, here is some further commentary:

The file you saved seems ok. It seems to match what I reviewed from your screen shot.

One thing I thought about: do you use Reveal mode or do you want all your scene, IA and preset buttons on the "main" mode of the MFC?

I had set things up to use Starting Preset button to 6 and bank size to 12. Unless you use Reveal, your IA on button #6 will not be visible with that setup.

If you don't use Reveal mode (I never do - not sure it even works with Axe Fx mode "none") then we will need to adjust your starting preset number and bank size.

View attachment 47057

Assuming you want 1-5 as scenes and 6-10 as IAs then set First Preset Switch to 11. Your bank size could be up to 7 after that (starting on button 11).

Having a backup of your MFC will help a LOT in answering questions.

I found this in Fractal's support site for making a backup via the Axe Fx (I assume you already have the driver and FractalBot loaded, so you can skip those steps):

http://support.fractalaudio.com/ind...le/View/23/0/mfc-101-backup-using-fractal-bot

EDIT:

I think you will use the same basic setup to SEND your file to the MFC. With everything connected and set the same way, you can use MFC-Edit under "Tools -> Send File to MFC".

I just discovered that in both the "Send" and "Receive" options under tools, there is a "Get Help Connecting" button. It explains all the steps for using the Axe Fx II as the interface, similar to the link above.

oh boy. I feel lost by this last post of yours. I guess I just assumed my up/down buttons would change presets and I would never have to use reveal. Here is a pic of my MFC.

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 2
waiting for my daughter to finish drying her hair..........

Thanks unix guy. I will try AxefxIII out to MFC in to dump program the MFC and see if it works:)
I assume you mean II and not III? You can not use the III to do this, it doesn't have the ability... the II does.
Q #1 So the name and AxeFX function dont have to say anything? It seems you set 1-5 up as scenes 1-5? So I shouldn't have IA #6 sat drive 1 in both columns?
Column 1 can say anything you want... it is just a label. Column 2 has to say something, but as far as I know it is not really used when Axe Fx mode is set to "none"...

However, I noticed you changed Axe Fx mode to "Axe Fx III"... I forgot this had been added. I believe that mode makes the assumption that CC numbers to be used will be the same as those for Axe Fx II (but it otherwise the same as "none") so that is ok.
Q #2 You mentioned this in your post... Control message 1 midi channel. It should be 1, since you are using midi channel 1. You would want the same value in every row. Do you mean c1 ch? I dont know what Control message 1 midi channel means.
You are using midi channel 1. The MFC can send things on ANY midi channel. It can send 2 midi control messages (c1 and c2). The c1 midi channel is which midi channel with the c1 message be sent to. You want "1".
Looks like my daughter is done. here is my latest saved file.....

I guess next I will need to get my MFC to see my EV-2. I know it was set up in my II but I feel like it needs to be set up in my III as well......
Let's get the buttons working first! :)

I just noticed a small issue with your dump file:

upload_2018-5-28_9-30-25.png

You have 16 set for Tuner, but your Axe Fx function is Drive 1 and the CC # is "off".

Try selecting "Tuner" in Column 2 and I think it will correct the CC #.

oh boy. I feel lost by this last post of yours. I guess I just assumed my up/down buttons would change presets and I would never have to use reveal. Here is a pic of my MFC.
No problem - looks like you are probably using Bank Size 0.

In MFC-Edit, change to this in the Base Config tab:

upload_2018-5-28_9-33-6.png

So... I was just reviewing the picture of your MFC to make another comment when something just occurred to me:

The MFC is not going to correctly show you the states of the IA switches across scenes. That is a limitation of using it as a generic midi controller.

I have seen some posts from @Bakerman about an alternate way to configure the MFC so that it could work in certain conditions (assuming you use "Scene Revert On"), but I have not done that and it is more complex that what you are trying already.

so I have written and deleted 10 posts this morning so I don't get spoiler alerted again lol. Ok so here is my current image of MFC edit. it has a red exclamation mark on it, dont know why. Also image 2, I dont think I can use this, should I just close it out?

so, I wanted to try on my own to add IA#6 to be Drive 1. I kinda got stuck......

Type toggle? Send/prst? GBL? I havent a clue what those 3 things mean....

c1 CC# to 47. I think this is correct as thats what I set it to in my III copied form my II

c1 ch. dont know what this means

c1 off, i think unix-guy said set to 0?

c1 on, i think unix-guy said set to 127?

and then everything across the row from there I haven't a clue.

If I am doing good let me know and I wanna on my own try to add a few more IA's. Then after that I won't know what to do anymore:( so many Q's. sorry again for my learning disability. I think If I ever get thru this I wouldn't even remember how to make a video for people like me........

I'm going to spend the day w my mom who has cancer. Will check back in later today. thanks guys!
Slow down, brother. Looking at that first picture, it looks like you already have five buttons set up for scenes in your MFC. If you haven’t changed that, go up to post #35 in this thread and follow the two-step instructions I put there. Then see if you don’t have scene control.

upload_2018-5-28_8-48-47-png.47057

Hi unix-giy. Taking a quick break at my moms before heading home. I am going to have to read some manuals on what you are trying to say here. I dont even know what a starting preset is. I do know I changed the bank size 4 years ago so switches 1-5 would be scenes, but i dont remember how to do it or what I did or how it relates to what you are asking.

So, yes, c1 CC number 47 (assuming that is Drive 1 Bypass CC) is what you want.

I think I messed that up, it should have been 49 as Delay1 is 47

Follow my previous steps of taking a backup and then load the file.

This way, you can get validation that it is working. After that, you can make more changes, but let us get confirmation of basic functions first.

Hmm, I dont remember seeing previous steps on how to back up a file but if I save the file to my desktop like the one I sent you, isn't that a back up?

I assume you mean II and not III? You can not use the III to do this, it doesn't have the ability... the II does.

wow I did NOT know that, wow. And no one has mentioned this in any threads. So I have to send the MFC edit saved file to my MFC using my AxeFXII?

You have 16 set for Tuner, but your Axe Fx function is Drive 1 and the CC # is "off".

Try selecting "Tuner" in Column 2 and I think it will correct the CC #.

I dont think the tuner can even be used with the III from a midi standpoint?

So... I was just reviewing the picture of your MFC to make another comment when something just occurred to me:

The MFC is not going to correctly show you the states of the IA switches across scenes. That is a limitation of using it as a generic midi controller.

I have seen some posts from @Bakerman about an alternate way to configure the MFC so that it could work in certain conditions (assuming you use "Scene Revert On"), but I have not done that and it is more complex that what you are trying already.

I'm not sure what any of that meant lol, sorry....

Slow down, brother. Looking at that first picture, it looks like you already have five buttons set up for scenes in your MFC. If you haven’t changed that, go up to post #35 in this thread and follow the two-step instructions I put there. Then see if you don’t have scene control.

I went to post #35, The only 2 steps you posted were I did 10 hours, but until I learn how to take my MFC .syx file and upload it to the MFC, which per unix-guy, I can only do via the AxeFxII, then replug my MFC out to AxeFxIII in, the power up the MFC, then I guess I will see if I have any kind of control........

Whew thats all for now. Getting on the road and hopefully will be looking at my AxeFxIII in about 3 hours

Hi unix-giy. Taking a quick break at my moms before heading home. I am going to have to read some manuals on what you are trying to say here. I dont even know what a starting preset is. I do know I changed the bank size 4 years ago so switches 1-5 would be scenes, but i dont remember how to do it or what I did or how it relates to what you are asking.
Do you use any of the buttons 1-17 to select presets, or only the Bank Up/Down?
I think I messed that up, it should have been 49 as Delay1 is 47
I think you are probably right.
Hmm, I dont remember seeing previous steps on how to back up a file but if I save the file to my desktop like the one I sent you, isn't that a back up?
That is a saved file from MFC-Edit. You need to backup what Is stored on the MFC.
wow I did NOT know that, wow. And no one has mentioned this in any threads. So I have to send the MFC edit saved file to my MFC using my AxeFXII?
You can use a USB to midi adapter... I got the impression from something you said earlier that you used the Axe Fx II as the interface before.

Do you have a USB to midi adapter?
I dont think the tuner can even be used with the III from a midi standpoint?

You can engage the tuner.. But it will only show on the Axe Fx III, not the MFC.
I'm not sure what any of that meant lol, sorry....

I went to post #35, The only 2 steps you posted were I did 10 hours, but until I learn how to take my MFC .syx file and upload it to the MFC, which per unix-guy, I can only do via the AxeFxII, then replug my MFC out to AxeFxIII in, the power up the MFC, then I guess I will see if I have any kind of control........

Whew thats all for now. Getting on the road and hopefully will be looking at my AxeFxIII in about 3 hours

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you said there. Have you done the two steps in post #35? Did you then try to see if you had scene control?

I'm not sure what you said there. Have you done the two steps in post #35? Did you then try to see if you had scene control?
I think there is some confusion...

@rnjscooter - if you did those steps, try connecting the MFC midi out to Axe Fx III midi in. Scenes should work without sending any update to the MFC.

Reactions: Rex
I think there is some confusion...

@rnjscooter - if you did those steps, try connecting the MFC midi out to Axe Fx III midi in. Scenes should work without sending any update to the MFC.
Actually... On second thought, I think the MFC will get a communication timeout. Because it is going to be in Axe Fx II mode. You can try it anyway...

Do you use any of the buttons 1-17 to select presets, or only the Bank Up/Down?

Just the bank up/down

That is a saved file from MFC-Edit. You need to backup what Is stored on the MFC.

Oh, well I did last year. Do I NEED that back up for something or can I just use this file to send to the MFC?

You can use a USB to midi adapter... I got the impression from something you said earlier that you used the Axe Fx II as the interface before.

Do you have a USB to midi adapter?

I dont. I used MFC edit just with midi cables last year in my original set up, so I'll just re-read how I did it last year.

You can engage the tuner.. But it will only show on the Axe Fx III, not the MFC.

Oh thats cool. I may change 16 and 17 to Looper functions as I would love to let the looper go while I audition sounds, which I dont see a way to do otherwise.

sorry, all I was trying to say is I already did those steps but until I send this info to the MFC from my II, then hook up my III again, I wont know if anything is working

I just got home gonna eat a bit and try and get up there and see if anything works after all this

Thanks boys........

Just the bank up/down
Ok - just bank up/down means that you need to set bank size to 0, and first preset switch to "off" just like the screen-shot I showed.
Oh, well I did last year. Do I NEED that back up for something or can I just use this file to send to the MFC?
You only need it in the case that things go awry and you want to put your MFC back to the state it was in before you started.
I dont. I used MFC edit just with midi cables last year in my original set up, so I'll just re-read how I did it last year.
MFC-edit runs on your computer. You have to connect your computer to the MFC somehow. This is either with a USB to midi adapter or by connecting "through" the Axe Fx II (acting as a midi adapter), or possibly if your computer or audio interface has midi ports.

Whatever you did before, you can do the same now.

Once things are connected properly, you should be able to receive (backup) and send (configure) the MFC from MFC-edit.
Oh thats cool. I may change 16 and 17 to Looper functions as I would love to let the looper go while I audition sounds, which I dont see a way to do otherwise.
Just be aware that the Looper functions differently on the II and III...
sorry, all I was trying to say is I already did those steps but until I send this info to the MFC from my II, then hook up my III again, I wont know if anything is working

I just got home gonna eat a bit and try and get up there and see if anything works after all this

Thanks boys........

I just dumped it to the MFC. Then disconnected my MFC from the II. Plugged midi cable out of MFC into my III.

Fired up my preset....... not a single switch does anything......

I just wasted 24 hours of your time. I honestly dont know how anyone could possibly be making this happen.

At a loss.......

Last edited:
I just read

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ller-with-axe-fxii-or-axe-fxiii.135017/page-2

post #28 says

On your Axe FXIII hit setup, then Midi/Remote. Turn Program Change on, and PC mapping off.

On your MFC-101: Change Mode from Axe FX mode to NONE.
Change the port on the MFC-101 from Expansion to Midi.
I set program change to "on", scene revert to "on", midi channel to "1".
Note: All my switches are set to toggle, send /prst = yes, and GBL = no.

Then another gentlemen said he had only changed program change to "on", scene revert to "on", midi channel to "1" on the MFC, and forgot to do it in the III. I did it in the III but no one ever said to do that in the MFC nor how to do that. and I went thru EVERY setting. Those pages dont exist in the MFC from what I can see. Also unix-guys says GBL should be yes and someone else said no.

Guys, I am sorry, I am defeated. I am just gonna cancel my gigs. I have never been so depressed from a lack of learning ability. I mean my word, not one single thing I did has worked........

and I still have no idea why I have a red exclamation pint in the top right of MFC edit......

Last edited:
I just read

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ller-with-axe-fxii-or-axe-fxiii.135017/page-2

post #28 says

On your Axe FXIII hit setup, then Midi/Remote. Turn Program Change on, and PC mapping off.

On your MFC-101: Change Mode from Axe FX mode to NONE.
Change the port on the MFC-101 from Expansion to Midi.
I set program change to "on", scene revert to "on", midi channel to "1".
Note: All my switches are set to toggle, send /prst = yes, and GBL = no.

Then another gentlemen said he had only changed program change to "on", scene revert to "on", midi channel to "1" on the MFC, and forgot to do it in the III. I did it in the III but no one ever said to do that in the MFC nor how to do that. Also unix-guys says GBL should be yes and someone else said no.

Guys, I am sorry, I am defeated. I am just gonna cancel my gigs. I have never been so depressed from a lack of learning ability. I mean my word, not one single thing I did has worked........
The file you had included Axe Fx Mode as "none" (or Axe Fx III, which is the same basic thing). It also has port set to midi.

I am pretty sure the MFC midi channel was set to 1 as well.

Scene revert is not going to make a difference in whether or not scenes change or presets change.

Can you post the file you sent to the MFC?

Can you not do your gigs with the Axe Fx II?

I just confirmed from your previous uploaded file that you have the midi channel and port correct (from Midi & Chans tab):

upload_2018-5-28_21-15-12.png

here you go uni-guy. At a loss......... I appreciate your help so much but not a single thing worked. Are you sure you wanna keep helping me?

I read this thread as well, you also posted to it

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...controller-with-axe-fxii-or-axe-fxiii.135017/

I can't believe there are people out there saying it took 15 minutes and it does everything they want. I mean come on, I have a learning issue, but I can tie my shoes. It just cant be like this........

Attachments

• MJ's dump for AxeFxIII.syx
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom