Making the MFC and Axe-Fx III work together?

rnjscooter

Power User
I am editing this first post for those who desire or are struggling with setting up the MFC to work with the Axe-FxIII. I know absolutely NOTHING about midi, and several members have held my hand thru the process, ESPECIALLY unix-guy, to which I am forever thankful. After reading this thread should you have any Q's about your quest to use the MFC with the III, please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait any longer, I have shows next week and I gotta bite the bullet and figure out how to get the MFC to do some basic functions with the Axe-FxIII. I swore I saw some links. unix-guy seems to have the midi knowledge that I am looking for, and let me preface that I have NONE.

I thought I saw a link or 2 that was speaking Greek to me but need to hunt them down. Seems to be no videos. I would settle for 5 scenes and be done with it. Assuming I will need a long midi cable since it wont be using failing. Also does my expression pedal have to run direct to the Axe or can it still plug into the MFC?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have not done it yet, but it shouldn't be too hard. Reference the link above... Happy to help if you need it.

i'd suggest changing the title of your thread to something like "Help me setup my mfc with the Axe-Fx III" if you want help. a title like this is ignored by many since it doesn't say anything.

i can do that for you if you want, but you should be able to edit it too.

thx Chris!

thanks, thats quite the post. I have MFC edit as well. I am gonna have to read and re-read as I know absolutely nothing about Midi. Appreciate your help trancegodz!
Midi isn't really all that complex.

Just try to understand that two midi devices communicate by being on the same midi channel (1-16). There are two basic types of midi messages you should be concerned with it: PCs (Program Change) and CCs (Control Change).

PCs change programs (aka, presets).

CCs are used to control things, such as turning an effect on or off, or adjusting the level on a volume block.

CCs consist of two parts: the CC number (0-127) and an associated data value (also 0-127).

To turn an effect on or off with a button press (frequently referred to as IAs, Instant Access buttons) you must send the CC number for the related effect and the data value indicating that it should be off or on.

What CC number you use is dependant on the device being controlled. Most devices have specific numbers associated to specific effects.

In the Axe Fx III the CC values are not set by default - you need to assign a CC number to the effect you want to control, and the set the MFC to use the same CC number.

To turn an effect off, you need to send the CC number and a data value equivalent to off, which is anything from 0-63 (typically 0). To turn an effect on, the same process is used but you send the value equivalent to on, which is anything from 64-127 (typically 127).

Then you have Continuous Controller pedals. These send a range of data values for a given CC number. They are commonly used to control a "Volume" pedal or a "Wah" pedal. In this case, the CC number is associated with a "level" or "control" knob on the block as opposed to the Bypass used with off and on. When you move a controller pedal, it will send a data value for that CC number between 0 and 127.

For guitarists, that's midi in a nutshell :)

Midi isn't really all that complex.

Just try to understand that two midi devices communicate by being on the same midi channel (1-16). There are two basic types of midi messages you should be concerned with it: PCs (Program Change) and CCs (Control Change).

PCs change programs (aka, presets).

CCs are used to control things, such as turning an effect on or off, or adjusting the level on a volume block.

CCs consist of two parts: the CC number (0-127) and an associated data value (also 0-127).

To turn an effect on or off with a button press (frequently referred to as IAs, Instant Access buttons) you must send the CC number for the related effect and the data value indicating that it should be off or on.

What CC number you use is dependant on the device being controlled. Most devices have specific numbers associated to specific effects.

In the Axe Fx III the CC values are not set by default - you need to assign a CC number to the effect you want to control, and the set the MFC to use the same CC number.

To turn an effect off, you need to send the CC number and a data value equivalent to off, which is anything from 0-63 (typically 0). To turn an effect on, the same process is used but you send the value equivalent to on, which is anything from 64-127 (typically 127).

Then you have Continuous Controller pedals. These send a range of data values for a given CC number. They are commonly used to control a "Volume" pedal or a "Wah" pedal. In this case, the CC number is associated with a "level" or "control" knob on the block as opposed to the Bypass used with off and on. When you move a controller pedal, it will send a data value for that CC number between 0 and 127.

For guitarists, that's midi in a nutshell :)

Hey unix-guy, I really really appreciate your post! I will start to consume all is. I think I need to start with "First I buy a midi cable and figure out which in or out I plug into, then power supply the MFC to turn it on." I am thinking the III may need to have some settings changed as I remember having to change a few things when doing updates to my MFC a while back. Once I get it hooked up correctly then I'll try to tackle all the assigning. My king down for a video from Chris, hint hint;)

I’ve also got a show coming up and really not looking forward to the midi cable plus power supply.

I’m considering just using expression pedals until the FC comes out. One pedal will go from clean to dirty, the other will add boost and delay for lead, throw an outboard wah in front, and that should do it.

You could also get tricky with modifiers, and one pedal could go from clean, to dirty, then the last bit of toe down could add boost and delay. It would be kind of funny to have people wondering how you’re doing it all with one exp pedal.

I’ve also got a show coming up and really not looking forward to the midi cable plus power supply.

I’m considering just using expression pedals until the FC comes out. One pedal will go from clean to dirty, the other will add boost and delay for lead, throw an outboard wah in front, and that should do it.

You could also get tricky with modifiers, and one pedal could go from clean, to dirty, then the last bit of toe down could add boost and delay. It would be kind of funny to have people wondering how you’re doing it all with one exp pedal.
You will need long TRS cables...

Hey unix-guy, I really really appreciate your post! I will start to consume all is. I think I need to start with "First I buy a midi cable and figure out which in or out I plug into, then power supply the MFC to turn it on." I am thinking the III may need to have some settings changed as I remember having to change a few things when doing updates to my MFC a while back. Once I get it hooked up correctly then I'll try to tackle all the assigning. My king down for a video from Chris, hint hint;)
Midi out from MFC to midi in on Axe Fx III. Easy to remember if you think about it: the MFC controls the Axe Fx by telling it (sending OUT) instructions.

I would do this:

Make a list of what you need to control like Scenes, Drive on/off, etc.

Then go into your Axe Fx II global midi settings and note the CC numbers used there, assuming you still have it. If not, just pick numbers from 1-128 and assign as needed (it doesn't matter as long as they are unique).

Then go into the Axe Fx III in the midi menu and set the same CC for each of those items.

Next you'll want to assign those same CC numbers to the buttons of the MFC - I would highly recommend using MFC-EDIT.

For Scenes, you'll get best results by sticking to 5 or less. Also, you'll want to set the OFF value to "none" for those buttons AND you'll want to add them to a switch group so that they are mutually exclusive.

The last thing on Scenes is to set the data values: 0-7 map to scenes 1-8. That is the value you set for the ON value. So, scene 1 on value is 0, scene 2 value is 1, etc.

I have an EV-2 I need for wah and whammy, so I am assuming a loooooong TRS, plus the power supply plus, midi cable will all be run to the front of the stage....
That comment was relative to the post I replied to, which was about just using pedals without the MFC. For you, a short TRS from pedal to MFC is all you need.

But, yes, you'll need a midi cable and power supply at the MFC unless you buy a special cable that will send phantom power over the midi cable.

A number of people here use such a cable.

Midi out from MFC to midi in on Axe Fx III. Easy to remember if you think about it: the MFC controls the Axe Fx by telling it (sending OUT) instructions.

I would do this:

Make a list of what you need to control like Scenes, Drive on/off, etc.

Then go into your Axe Fx II global midi settings and note the CC numbers used there, assuming you still have it. If not, just pick numbers from 1-128 and assign as needed (it doesn't matter as long as they are unique).

Then go into the Axe Fx III in the midi menu and set the same CC for each of those items.

Next you'll want to assign those same CC numbers to the buttons of the MFC - I would highly recommend using MFC-EDIT.

For Scenes, you'll get best results by sticking to 5 or less. Also, you'll want to set the OFF value to "none" for those buttons AND you'll want to add them to a switch group so that they are mutually exclusive.

The last thing on Scenes is to set the data values: 0-7 map to scenes 1-8. That is the value you set for the ON value. So, scene 1 on value is 0, scene 2 value is 1, etc.

I got everything except for the part after "I would do this".... lol. That would be my lame reference for the day to Get Smart:D I may have just shown my age there.......

OK, I will start there. Not sure I understand "you'll want to set the OFF value to "none" for those buttons AND you'll want to add them to a switch group so that they are mutually exclusive.", as well as "set the data values: 0-7 map to scenes 1-8. That is the value you set for the ON value. So, scene 1 on value is 0, scene 2 value is 1, etc.".

I will start by plugging in the midi cable and changing CC's. I do have Axe Edit so I'll fire that up as well

Lastly If I recall, on my AxeFxII I had to do this when doing a firmer update to the MFC............
On your Axe-Fx, press the I/O button, PAGE to “MIDI”, and make the following settings:
  1. Change USB ADAPTER MODE to “ON”.
  2. Change SEND REALTIME SYSEX to “NONE”.
Will I need to do this on my AxeFxIII as well?

Thanks unix-guy, as well as everyone else taking the time on this for me. If I figure it out maybe I'll make a video for all the midi challenged players out there!!!!!!

That comment was relative to the post I replied to, which was about just using pedals without the MFC. For you, a short TRS from pedal to MFC is all you need.

But, yes, you'll need a midi cable and power supply at the MFC unless you buy a special cable that will send phantom power over the midi cable.

Perfect, sounds like I can still control the expression pedal then with the MFC using midi! Thanks unix-guy!

Also, I would be dead nuts satisfied for my shows if I got preset up/down plus 5 scenes plus IA for GEQ that I use just in case I need another boost, plus my expression pedal..... I dont need the looper or tuner or tap temp or any other IA's as they are already mapped out per preset....

Also, I would be dead nuts satisfied for my shows if I got preset up/down plus 5 scenes plus IA for GEQ that I use just in case I need another boost, plus my expression pedal..... I dont need the looper or tuner or tap temp or any other IA's as they are already mapped out per preset....

Yep - will work for you as it is working or me. MFC midi out to FX III midi in, 2 expression pedals plugged to MFC. Can do bank up/down, select presets, IA's turn blocks on and off, and I use Reveal to get to IA1-5 for my Scene 1-5. Works fine - but no tuner, or tap tempo.

If you don't want to run sep. power on stage to MFC, could get this cable and keep the wall wart at the rack unit. https://btpa.com/FAS03-XX.html

OK, I will start there. Not sure I understand "you'll want to set the OFF value to "none" for those buttons AND you'll want to add them to a switch group so that they are mutually exclusive.", as well as "set the data values: 0-7 map to scenes 1-8. That is the value you set for the ON value. So, scene 1 on value is 0, scene 2 value is 1, etc.".

For Scenes, you assign the SAME CC number to multiple switches. Each scene switch sends the same CC but a different data value.

So, the switches need to be grouped because only 1 scene is active at a time. Adding them to a group makes sure the LEDs keep proper state.

For example, if you have Scene 1 on, you want the LED on for that button. If you change to scene 2, you want that LED to go on BUT you want the LED for scene 1 to go off. Switch groups do that... But you can only have 5 buttons in a group.

The "none" comment is because most CC buttons have an on and off value. When you press the button, the ON value is sent and when you press it again the OFF value is sent.

Scenes are not an on/off situation. If you press the same Scene button a second time, you want it to do nothing... So use "none" for the value on the MFC.

Lastly If I recall, on my AxeFxII I had to do this when doing a firmer update to the MFC............
On your Axe-Fx, press the I/O button, PAGE to “MIDI”, and make the following settings:
  1. Change USB ADAPTER MODE to “ON”.
  2. Change SEND REALTIME SYSEX to “NONE”.
Will I need to do this on my AxeFxIII as well?

The Axe Fx III has no support for this as far as I know. You will need a USB to midi adapter to connect your computer to your MFC.

I use the MidiSport UNO.

Yep - will work for you as it is working or me. MFC midi out to FX III midi in, 2 expression pedals plugged to MFC. Can do bank up/down, select presets, IA's turn blocks on and off, and I use Reveal to get to IA1-5 for my Scene 1-5. Works fine - but no tuner, or tap tempo.

If you don't want to run sep. power on stage to MFC, could get this cable and keep the wall wart at the rack unit. https://btpa.com/FAS03-XX.html

That looks crazy interesting, even at 45 bucks for a 30 footer..........

Back
Top Bottom