Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

I’m on the FM3 and can’t run DC’s in Ultrares which is my preference. Occasionally I screw around with Dynacabs but all my main presets are old style IR’s. Sound wise Dynacabs are no better than legacy IR’s, IF you have found your IR’s already. The interface and adjustability is the advantage, making it easier to find what you like best. I already have 4-5 IR’s that suit me so I stick with those.

Most of my new Presets are Dyna-Cabs, but I have some Legacy-Cabs like the YA Blackbacks for Amps like Marshall, Orange. . . . .and the YA Fanes (FN 50) for Hiwatt

Reactions: ESW
When creating new presets I use DynaCabs. Much prefer it to scrolling through a long list of IRs.

Occasionally I will pull up an older preset and think that it is not quite what I want. In this case I revisit the amp and cab settings and if I feel the cab needs any changes I will flip it from Legacy to DynaCabs.

When making these changes I don't have the patience to compare my new DynaCab cabs with Legacy to see if I can find a Legacy IR that I prefer. I quickly find a DynaCab setting I am happy with and move on.

I think it is likely not the case that I would find the DynaCabs sound better in any way...just a more enjoyable UI to make changes to suit my changing tastes and moods.

I don't have a mission to replace my Legacy IRs with DynaCabs but slowly it is happening over time.

I'm slow to change... Hoping the $87 sale of the big pack comes back again and I'll grab it.

I have conducted numerous tests, trying various combinations. I meticulously used the mic preamp and equalizer. I spent entire nights adjusting the speaker section and much more... In the end, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer (much more) the IRs (legacy cab). I use my own personal IRs, and with those, I get the sound I'm looking for... my sound. No matter how much time I spend on a Duna-cab, to my ear, they all sound too harsh, thin, and lacking body. I prefer my IRs.

I’m still experimenting with dynacabs.

I mainly use Marshall models, so I choose the 1960tv.
I really like the « clean and alive » tones out of it but don’t know why I’m missing some warms mid. They sound scooped to me.

Anyone can advise me a preamp setting to counterbalance that?

If I was starting today I would start with the dynacab. However my experience with dynacabs started with trying to get my go-to legacy cabs exactly dialed in with Dynacab, so I could replace them and have greater ability to tweak in the future. I also tried just dialing in dynacab cabs on my presets to sound as good as I could, without using preconceived tonal references. The results were interesting, but ultimately I didn't replace any of my~20 presets I use regularly.

Sounds like just the new cab packs. It says 2048 for the axe fx 3. My understanding at the time dynacabs were released was they were not ultrares because of how much memory that would use.

This has really piqued my curiosity… I might have to try out the packs and cab lab to see how they sound in ultrares. I remember liking ultra more than regular back in the Axe-FX 2 days when it was first introduced, although I don’t know how much I was hearing the resolution vs other differences in the IRs.

Edit: I just looked at the online store and it says 2048 for the dyna cab pack. I am thinking that wiki has incorrect info?
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/dynacab-pack-4x12-1960tv/

Cab-Lab lets me process DynaCab Pack IRs in UltraRes resolution.

I pretty much only use Dyna-Cabs nowadays. It's just so much easier to tailor each cab to your liking by moving the mic a bit.

The Condenser mic alone on any cab pulled slightly back and fairly close to center will generally sound great.
I was just trying this last night. Only had my fm3 a couple of months, got a few favourite IR's, now testing dyna cabs and been quite surprised.
For my high gain stuff there are only three or four cabs that really work nicely but with that mic placement pulled back, you can get a really good tone out of those cabs.

So now for my trouble, I have a duplicate set of my presets, one with IR's and one with cabs, in the hope i can decide which is best!

Legacy for me. I only use one cab IR across all of my presets, and it's one I shot of my own 4x12. Obviously that wouldn't be possible with Dynacabs. I'm using the IR through FOH/Monitors, and using a power amp and my real cab for stage.

I have conducted numerous tests, trying various combinations. I meticulously used the mic preamp and equalizer. I spent entire nights adjusting the speaker section and much more... In the end, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer (much more) the IRs (legacy cab). I use my own personal IRs, and with those, I get the sound I'm looking for... my sound. No matter how much time I spend on a Duna-cab, to my ear, they all sound too harsh, thin, and lacking body. I prefer my IRs.

Could that be because you are $elling your IRs? ;)

I've never really gotten along with most of the factory cabs for my purpose, which is strictly home studio use. I was very happy to see the Dynacab concept implemented and greatly prefer the workflow.

However, I feel like we're still in the very early stages and many improvements can be made. At the moment, I feel like a product such as Mikko 2 is an example of this overall idea, but at a much later, more functional, and preferred (IMO) stage of development. Still, I feel Fractal will most likely continue to develop the concept and I will get use from it.

These are the things that I believe need improved/changed. Correct me if anything is inaccurate.

• We have several Dynacabs available for free, but only 4 mic choices. Greatly dissapointed to see no 421 or 160 mics available. Some paid-for Dynacab packs have these mics available, but I feel they are overpriced (as well as other issues listed below)
  • In Axe Edit, I'd prefer to see the speaker face dead on. I feel it would be easier to actually see where the speaker is in relation to the dust cap/cone
  • Very few Dynacab packs available at the current time
  • No Rectifier Dynacab pack available during the first offering. I feel this was a big mistake given the popularity of Rectifier cabs
  • Cab Lab is very buggy for me and several other users at the moment. Due to this, it's very clunky and inefficient to use. I actually really regret my purchase of Dynacab packs due to this
  • No off axis/tilt options in Cab Lab
  • Cab Lab cannot currently communicate at the same time as Axe Edit
Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy about Dynacabs and Fractal overall. Just some constructive criticism.

I've never really gotten along with most of the factory cabs for my purpose, which is strictly home studio use. I was very happy to see the Dynacab concept implemented and greatly prefer the workflow.

However, I feel like we're still in the very early stages and many improvements can be made. At the moment, I feel like a product such as Mikko 2 is an example of this overall idea, but at a much later, more functional, and preferred (IMO) stage of development. Still, I feel Fractal will most likely continue to develop the concept and I will get use from it.

These are the things that I believe need improved/changed. Correct me if anything is inaccurate.

• We have several Dynacabs available for free, but only 4 mic choices. Greatly dissapointed to see no 421 or 160 mics available. Some paid-for Dynacab packs have these mics available, but I feel they are overpriced (as well as other issues listed below)
  • In Axe Edit, I'd prefer to see the speaker face dead on. I feel it would be easier to actually see where the speaker is in relation to the dust cap/cone
  • Very few Dynacab packs available at the current time
  • No Rectifier Dynacab pack available during the first offering. I feel this was a big mistake given the popularity of Rectifier cabs
  • Cab Lab is very buggy for me and several other users at the moment. Due to this, it's very clunky and inefficient to use. I actually really regret my purchase of Dynacab packs due to this
  • No off axis/tilt options in Cab Lab
  • Cab Lab cannot currently communicate at the same time as Axe Edit
Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy about Dynacabs and Fractal overall. Just some constructive criticism.
This thread is about the on-board Dyna-Cabs and you're conflating Cab-Lab IV w/ those and Axe-Edit.

I pretty much only use Dyna-Cabs nowadays. It's just so much easier to tailor each cab to your liking by moving the mic a bit.

Same here

The Condenser mic alone on any cab pulled slightly back and fairly close to center will generally sound great.

For me, it's the ribbon at 10-16cm back and slightly off center that tickles the right neurons, generally - though for the Rumble cab and/or IR, 19.22cm back and a little off center is super nice, and on some occasions I will use two to get the blend of EVM12L and EVM12S.

I guess, as more CabLab4 DynaCabs come and the ones I really want become available, we'll see what happens with the general rule that has emerged so far. Will likely start from the same general steps as the internal ones, then circle around the different radii and find the best spot....

Back
Top Bottom