Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

Allow me to be totally ignorant for a moment and say- I could never understand why anyone would need 2000 IRs and it would still not be enough to get a good sound.
I think having fewer options forces you to be more creative and commit to a sound rather then constantly searching for that .01% better ….
The onboard Dyna Cabs solve that issue.
Seems to me that between the choice of cabs, mics, and positions, DynaCabs have maybe even more possible tones.
They're just laid out in a more intuitive way -- move the mic away from the center "physically", vs try to figure out which of the offered IRs are like that and not also different in some other way.

Allow me to be totally ignorant for a moment and say- I could never understand why anyone would need 2000 IRs and it would still not be enough to get a good sound.
I think having fewer options forces you to be more creative and commit to a sound rather then constantly searching for that .01% better ….
Because everybody hear in different way and a good tone is subjective too. That's the beauty of the human nature especially for music.

It’s similar to how someone can have thousands of TV shows and movies with Netflix and it’s not enough.

It’s similar to how someone can have thousands of TV shows and movies with Netflix and it’s not enough.
I’m not sure if that’s entirely true. Maybe if they were all similar genres. If the world of entertainment were to stop making content today, you could go the rest of you life and still not watch a 1/4 of the content from all the streaming services. Besides when it comes to shows, films and series they are all based around 7-36 story plots. So, you can have 100 different flavors of kool aid but it’s still just sugar water.

I pretty much only use Dyna-Cabs nowadays. It's just so much easier to tailor each cab to your liking by moving the mic a bit.

The Condenser mic alone on any cab pulled slightly back and fairly close to center will generally sound great.
Any other recommendations for tight bass response metal chug ?

Any other recommendations for tight bass response metal chug ?
Dynamic 1 or 2 + Ribbon. Fairly close distance, offset from center, you probably end up with fairly similar position for both. Try panning them a bit, or alternatively use level to determine the amount of Dynamic mic "sizzle" in the sound.

For tight bass, it's better to use the Amp input EQ to cut low end, as unintuitive as it sounds. This is basically the same reason many use a drive pedal to boost a high gain amp.

Not really... The same could be said of the IRs because to paraphrase an old adage:

Suckage is in the ear of the beholder

Whether a show or an IR sucks is a matter of opinion/taste. ;)
However there is a consensus which doesn’t account for outliers.

And one other incredible thing about DynaCabs: Cliff actually included the SM7B, which initially was not going to be part of what made it into the hardware. That mic is like a magical goldilocks mic to me. With that, I never need a mix of mics.

I filled up my FX3 pretty quick (2048 slots) with buying and trying packs only to end up using a few from them. The job of removing the unused ones became big enough pretty quickly that it became daunting. A utility in the *-Edit programs to go through the presets and mark the unused IRs would be a big help.

I think they solve it as much by making the mic position adjustable as by the limited supply of choices. You don't need 2048 choices if you have the right handful of cabs and the adjustable mic position to dial it in. I start with the Ribbon at 16cm or 10cm, a little off center, and usually that is it. Only the Rumble cab has made me find a different distance (19cm) to get the bass balanced in a good spot....

That'd be behearer ;)
Bee-hearer?

Crap, all these amps sound BUZZI!

image-w856.jpg

That is likely due to every channel trying to maximize popularity, which tends to trade the risk of variety for the benefit of showing things most people want to watch. Because, you know, everyone important is within the first couple standard deviations of the center of the bell curve.

I suspect the same thing happens with IR sellers. That's why there's 488,525,898,435 times as many IR set variations on the Marshall 4x12 as there are actual cabs manufactured by Marshall since 1962 or whenever they started, but very few Weber IR sets available....

Maybe it's just in me, but I feel I can get a better in the room sound with dyna-cabs vs snapshot irs. I still have a few favorite irs that always sound great though. Both are great options!

As someone who spent the past two years primarily recording with the Torpedo DI out of my Revv, I really appreciate the new Dynacab technology. However, the current speaker selection is comparatively lacking, as are the microphone captures available.

The good:
Greenback, 75W creamback, and alnico blue speakers are available
Soyuz (condenser) sound great on guitar!

The not-so-good:
Maximum distance (just under 9.5") is still fairly close to the speaker. When I'm micing real cabs, I'll pull mics with directional pickup as far as 14" from the speaker.
The overall mic selection in the stock IRs is slim. A particularly huge oversight is a complete absence of bass specific mics for the bass cabs.
Dynacab packs are very expensive compared to Two-Notes cabs. $30 per speaker vs $10.

Wishlist:
More of my favored speakers (DV-77, K-100, alnico gold, Cannabis Rex, Crescendo)
More classic voiced ribbons, particularly the 4038, R44, and R84. The Royer is great, but midrangey and voiced like a dynamic.
A bass mic for the bass cabs (D112, Beta 52, Alien8, whatever mic but at least something!)

Having said all this, I love love love that the cab block technology is moving forward from static IRs! I hope the DynaCab offerings will improve to be as strong as the competition!

Last edited:
As someone who spent the past two years primarily recording with the Torpedo DI out of my Revv, I really appreciate the new Dynacab technology. However, the current speaker selection is comparatively lacking, as are the microphone captures available.

The good:
Greenback, 75W creamback, and alnico blue speakers are available
Soyuz (condenser) sound great on guitar!

The not-so-good:
Maximum distance (just under 9.5") is still fairly close to the speaker. When I'm micing real cabs, I'll pull mics with directional pickup as far as 14" from the speaker.
The overall mic selection in the stock IRs is slim. A particularly huge oversight is a complete absence of bass specific mics for the bass cabs.
Dynacab packs are very expensive compared to Two-Notes cabs. $30 per speaker vs $10. The Friedman

Wishlist:
More of my favored speakers (DV-77, K-100, alnico gold, Cannabis Rex, Crescendo)
More classic voiced ribbons, particularly the 4038, R44, and R84. The Royer is great, but midrangey and voiced like a dynamic.
A bass mic for the bass cabs (D112, Beta 52, Alien8, whatever mic but at least something!)

Having said all this, I love love love that the cab block technology is moving forward from static IRs! I hope the DynaCab offerings will improve to be as strong as the competition!
I just tried out one of the cab packs with cab lab 4. You can pull back to 31cm.

Back
Top Bottom