Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

My $ are ready for Cablab4 recto412 - having that will 100% complete my cab needs / wants.
I am waiting for several packs to show up somewhere:
  1. A good old original 4x10 Bassman
  2. A '60s Oxford 1x12 Deluxe
  3. Any Webers at all, but particularly the 12" AlNiCo Blue Dog and the 10" AlNiCo 10V
  4. A good pre-Rola Celestion 12
The internal 4x10 reissue Bassman DynaCab sounds/feels a little "tight", like it needs to be parked in a basement somewhere pumping out sweeping bass notes loudly for a couple days, and then re-captured. I have been using the Super 2x10 DynaCab instead....

Cab-Lab lets me process DynaCab Pack IRs in UltraRes resolution.
I found something about that in another thread. How much of a difference do you hear between ultrares and the built-in dynacabs?

On a related note, I got the impression from the website that all you get is more mics and the ability to mix and export cabs. Ultrares and more mic position options are great selling points to put on the website.

I completely prefer Dyna Cabs.

I had such trouble getting great tones from static IRs for so long, but I knew others got great tones from them, so recently I started going deep into static IRs as a challenge to my own tone creation. It was just something I had to do for my own sense of accomplishment.

But still, to me nothing beats Dyna Cabs. It's those in between spots that might be just perfect for a particular tone. Not to mention, if you set the mic position, tweak the amp, and the tone still isn't right, you can then easily nudge mic a hair to get it just perfect.

And of course, for workflow, it beats all movable mic plugins, because you don't have to interrupt the creative process to create a static IR from the plugin, import it through Axe-Edit, then select it through the cab block; you just nudge the mic and you're right there!

On top of that, you've got the ability to trim your movable IR as you're tweaking, even to smooth it! I mean, that's totally ideal, and the DynaCab feature in the hardware is the only movable mic software that does that, as far as I know.

And for me the other big advantage: the auto linking of speaker impedance curves! I went for so long too broke to buy the amps I wanted, I'm making up for it now in the virtual world of the Axe-FX III, so I'm always trying to recreate the real world experience as closely as possible. This does it.

There are still great reasons to use static IRs or the movable mic plugins though, like getting off axis tones, maintaining the natural phase relationship between multiple mics, etc.

I've wondered if something with a ton more internal memory, an Axe-FX IV, might have Cab Lab levels of movable mic storage built in, with the ability to import more, but that will be interesting to see.

I too switched fully over to DynaCabs. As had already been said, it's a familiarity and ease of use thing. I was really psyched when it was announced that Cab Lab would be a way to extend the available cabs, mic selections, and positioning options beyond what could fit "in the box". Since then I'm really digging the workflow within Cab Lab. Very intuitive. Loop a guitar part, play around with the mics and positions and I feel like I have what I want in a short amount of time.
Recently I've been going through presets that I purchased over the years and swapping out the cabs for ones I cooked up in Cab Lab and have been real happy with the results.

I used DynaCabs upon pretty recently but reverted back to Legacy IR:s and my purchased OwnHammer IR:s. I love the ease and flexibility of DynaCabs but the OwnHammers sit better in my mixes and that's probably due the way I dial in tones and the way I mix. They aren't as bright (which I prefer) and have more low mid push.

On the flip side - it could be tedious as hell scrolling among them but now I know what works for my guitars so it goes a bit faster finding the right one in terms of placement number (if you now OwnHammers naming structure).

I used DynaCabs upon pretty recently but reverted back to Legacy IR:s and my purchased OwnHammer IR:s. I love the ease and flexibility of DynaCabs but the OwnHammers sit better in my mixes and that's probably due the way I dial in tones and the way I mix. They aren't as bright (which I prefer) and have more low mid push.

On the flip side - it could be tedious as hell scrolling among them but now I know what works for my guitars so it goes a bit faster finding the right one in terms of placement number (if you now OwnHammers naming structure).
This seems to be a common thread - if i'd found a few IRs that worked perfectly for me across all my presets which I felt were 100% dialed in, I suspect I would not likely be keen to spend much effort on DCs - but when the door feels open to further preset improvement, they are worth the effort imo, particularly with the cablab4 added value.

I found something about that in another thread. How much of a difference do you hear between ultrares and the built-in dynacabs?

Haven't compared them. I don't much for UltraRes IRs. In fact I always truncate IRs to 1024 samples. Except when it concerns processing / simulating acoustic instruments.

I still use 3rd party IRs for "my sound" exclusively. Sometimes I'll use Dyna Cabs if I wanna dial an artist sound or genre sound. They're tools that we have and can take advantage of, which is nice!

I prefer the Dyna-Cabs. Much easier to find what you're looking for and to be honest, to my ears they just sound better and I have tons of 3rd party IR's.

So I decided to download cab lab 4 and purchase the 1960TV dynacab, as that is the one I am using in two established amp tones. I got it configured, set up the two different ribbon mics at max distance on the far edge of the cone, and started experimenting with moving the mic around the circle. I only had about 10 minutes to play with it.

Initial observations:
1. Being able to place the mic anywhere on the speaker vs just on one line makes more difference than I ever would have thought! I will definitely need to get a looper set up to find the spot I like best.
2. I had thought the first thing I would do was figure out which ribbon mic was built in to the unit… not so easy. The tones were so different based on where on the speaker I put the mic, I couldn’t replicate the tone of the factory cab. Again, I only spent 10 minutes and without a looper. I do hope to eventually find out so I can apply some EQ based on the frequency response of the mics.

I’m pretty confident this purchase will ultimately result in a tone I prefer over the factory dynacab once I‘ve spent more time with the mic position and figured out what sounds best to me. I hope to see more dyna cab packs in the future.

i love the functionality of the Dyna-cabs but i tend to use specific IRs as they're what I've used the most, not to mention the money already invested in them 😄

I'll be spending more time with the Dyna-cabs in the future in any case

I use both depending on what i'm going for, I find the onboard DynaCabs relatively clean and bright and so they work perfectly for 8 string tones. I mostly use my favourite OwnHammer IRs for my 6 string guitars. When creating new presets I do look at DynaCabs first.

CabLab is a great idea, are there plans to improve the integration with AxeEdit?

Been using the Morgan 20 amp model for some clean Tosin tones, that AC20 pack is looking nice, I'm going to grab it!

Allow me to be totally ignorant for a moment and say- I could never understand why anyone would need 2000 IRs and it would still not be enough to get a good sound.
I think having fewer options forces you to be more creative and commit to a sound rather then constantly searching for that .01% better ….
The onboard Dyna Cabs solve that issue.

Back
Top Bottom