LED "Bulbs"

Even “consensus” is bullshit most of the time.
I'm talking about consensus among scientists, not among political and religious leaders.

Before Galileo the “consensus” was that all celestial bodies rotate around Earth.
Copernicus had him beat by 100 years. Again, I'm talking about scientific consensus. Once we devised and executed the right experiments, science self-corrected, and it even turned around political and most religious consensus.

Before Barry Marshall the “consensus” was that ulcers are caused by “nerves”. The guy was nearly laughed out of his field before he got a Nobel for his discovery of Heliobacter Pylori.
Another example of how science self-corrects.

You cherry-pick a couple of examples, and then claim that scientific consensus is mostly bullshit. If that's so, you might as well throw away every modern gadget you own, Fractal gear included. Those things are all made possible by thousands of widely-accepted scientific discoveries. Solid-state physics, coronary bypass surgery, your phone, your car, treatments for heliobacter pylori... they must be mostly bullshit, right? :)

...whenever I hear “consensus” I just automatically substitute the word with “politically motivated bullshit”.
That's because too many people get their science from political pundits.

Last edited:
I have LED light question that maybe you guys can help with. I recently had them installed to replace a fluorescent light in my closet. It's only been about a month but the thing now barely lights up real dim. I wouldn't think it's a bulb or problem with the actual light but rather the wiring is probably jacked up or came loose. Does that sound like I'm in the ball park? I am NOT handy when it comes to this stuff, which is why I hired someone to do it in the first place. But if it's something I can easily fix, then I'd like to avoid having to schedule them to come out and fix it.
It's hard to know without examining it first hand, but it sounds like you may have a lemon of a bulb.

> consensus among scientists

There isn't any such thing, really, for anything that's not 100% repeatable and easily measurable. And where "consensus" is claimed, it's largely political, where the noncompliant get banished from the field.

> consensus among scientists

There isn't any such thing, really, for anything that's not 100% repeatable and easily measurable. And where "consensus" is claimed, it's largely political, where the noncompliant get banished from the field.
Measurability and repeatability are foundations of science. "Easily measurable?" It ain't about "easy."

Where scientific consensus is claimed among scientists, the validity of the claim is easily proved or disproved by surveying the published research.

The problem with LED lighting is that the photons are distributed over very small bands of frequency. An incandescent light produces a broad spectrum of light (white). An LED looks white to us but it's actually equal amounts of red, green and blue. It fools the eye but it's not really white. A bird would look at a white LED and go "WTF? That's not white".

Nothing beats the warm glow of a good ol' incadescent lamp. Let the market decide.

I just got some halogens in a standard A19 bulb. I like them. PAR 30 halogens are still my favorite.

I have to believe that many people are negatively affected by spectrum-gapped flickering light sources, even if they don't realize it. Cheap LED lamps make me feel like I'm in a horror movie that has been color graded to appear sickly and sinister.

So Rex, from your “survey of published research”, are eggs and butter good or bad for me? ;)

So Rex, from your “survey of published research”, are eggs and butter good or bad for me? ;)
1) I have not researched the latest information on egg nutrition.

2) It's not my job to do your research or tell you how you should apply that research to your life.

3) Here is a sampling of the consensus of known information about eggs:

- Eggs contain a significant amount of complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids. These are the nine that human bodies can't synthesize for themselves, and their consumption is therefore essential (get it? ;)) to human life. That is good for you.

- Eggs contain significant amounts of cholesterol. Cholesterol is linked to cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is bad for you. But some amount of cholesterol is also necessary to stay alive. Staying alive is good for you.

- Eggs have hard shells that help to keep them fresh and uncontaminated. That is good for you. But those shells can be sharp if broken, and can lacerate your esophagus if you swallow them. That is bad for you.

- If you eat nothing but eggs for an extended period, you will become very nasty to be around. That is bad for me.

The question "Are eggs good for me?" is an oversimplification based on the natural desire to simplify your life and have other people make your decisions. An egg every now and then ain't gonna kill you. But half a dozen a day just might.

I'll leave the butter research up to you.

What an interesting side convo @Rex and @plexi59 are having lol.
Incandescent and halogen are 90% and 80% efficient respectively as heaters. They also happen to produce light of amazing quality. And efficiency is completely irrelevant in the first place. Consumers should decide what succeeds, not bureaucrats and politicians.
Or scientists, sometimes.
Just to make it clear @Rex, how should scientists help inform the law around lighting efficiency? Based on what scientific consensus? You seem to be suggesting something here, I'm not too sure what. Or maybe you were just making a general point.

As a photographer, I'm with ya 100% @steadystate .

I've bought a ton of different LEDs and you can put 10 different 2700k bulbs side by side and they all produce different colors. Sure the temperatures might all be 2700k, but the color cast (tint) certainly isn't.

What an interesting side convo @Rex and @plexi59 are having lol.
True. Sorry for the hijack.

Just to make it clear @Rex, how should scientists help inform the law around lighting efficiency? Based on what scientific consensus? You seem to be suggesting something here, I'm not too sure what. Or maybe you were just making a general point.
I was making a general point. I considered making a specific one, but that would involve bringing up a subject that's been so highly politicized that it obscures the overwhelming scientific consensus, and this is an apolotical forum, which I wholeheartedly respect.

You can get still incandescent bulbs at many art supply stores in the USA. Look for Chromalux -- they seem to last forever!

I've got a bunch of CREE LED's around the house. Their light quality is pretty good. Never noticed any flicker from any of my LED bulbs, but some folks are more sensitive to flicker than others. I also don't have dimmers wired in anywhere either, but I know some LED bulbs don't handle them well.

One thing I will say about LED's is I'm glad they are replacing CFL bulbs as the new norm. Those things truly sucked. I've even replaced my T8 fluorescent tubes with LED retrofits. I was constantly replacing CFL bulbs. They barely outlasted incandescents at times. I don't think I've had to replaced any of my LED bulbs yet, so that's some kind of progress. LEDs are way more reliable than CFLs in cold weather too.

I like to keep a couple of incandescents around for keeping plants alive in the winter. They make great plant heaters.

Last edited:
I am lucky enough to not see flicker with LED lights, despite seeing it with fluorescents. I do get the color balance issue with certain translucent frosted glass lampshades, though. Replaced the long fluorescent tubes in the garage with LEDs to good effect, and pretty much all the bulbs in the house.

My current house had probably 40 CFL bulbs in it when I moved in. I hate the things. Almost all have been replaced with LEDs at this point.

A good chunk of my house has smart LEDs in there now, where I can change the hue of the white bulbs, the full color range on the others, dim them, etc. I haven't had any issue with flicker. They are expensive though. I hope they last.

you.

- Eggs contain significant amounts of cholesterol. Cholesterol is linked to cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is bad for you. But some amount of cholesterol is also necessary to stay alive. Staying alive is good for you.
I forgot to go back to this way back when. The problem isn’t RDA amounts of dietary cholesterol. The problem in hyperlipidemia, more often than not, is the runaway production of endogenous (synthesized by your own body) low-density lipoprotein (LDL), which is a transport molecule comprised of a protein product and the lipid being transported. This is what statins are for: HMG CoA Reductase inhibitor inhibits the HMG CoA Reductase enzyme that is part of the pathway to overproduction of LDL. That’s good.

I find LED bulbs a huge improvement over CFL. Back when CFL were first gaining steam in the late 90's my dad would install them through our house and they were grating. The directionality, the flicker, the color, ugh. For me the LED's seem on par with incandescent and obviously much more efficient.

Speaking of unintentional heating, I moved to a new house and the basement felt very damp and cold. I got a dehumidifier and set it up which pulled a crazy amount of water out of the air and the exhaust is fairly warm, so now my basement is not only a comfortable humidity, it's warmed up nicely as well.

Back
Top Bottom