Latency of Axe-Fx II vs Axe-Fx III?

Nope. I got a RME sound card that smokes the Axe latency-wise.
The fault seems to be the Axe Fx driver which don't perform as good as the RME driver.

"Smokes" might be a bit of an exaggeration, given that 1ms latency of the Axe is virtually non-existent as far a human perception is concerned.

Reactions: Ole
Just out of curiosity, what would you do with such a small buffer?

My MOTU AVB card “works” with 32 samples, but my CPU craps out when I try to do any meaningful processing with such settings.

If I’m mixing, latency doesn’t matter much.

If I’m playing using Axe-FX, it doesn’t matter at all because no matter how small it is, you’re better off using direct monitoring.

Obviously when playing using plugins latency should be as low as possible, but do you really use Axe-FX to play through Amplitube?

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with such a small buffer?

My MOTU AVB card “works” with 32 samples, but my CPU craps out when I try to do any meaningful processing with such settings.

Obviously when playing using plugins latency should be as low as possible, but do you really use Axe-FX to play through Amplitube?

I got the Axe-Fx II XL hooked up through the RME-card via S/PDIF.

No Amplitude. God no!

When I'm composing/writing which is what I mostly use this for, I usually lay tracks with just amp+cab from the Axe and then use plugins for the wet stuff. Plugins I usually automate during the process. And it's often I change delays, reverbs etc during this.

When the composing/writing reach a finished or almost finished song I usually make a finished Axe-Fx presets which mimics the delays, reverb, tremolo etc. plugins so I also end having a "live"-preset for the song.

I can work with a 32 sample buffer on small to medium projects without problems. And if it starts to make trouble I can switch off the CPU-heavy and latency-heavy plugins through the technology introduced to Studio One 3.5 and still track without problems.

Before that I made a rough mix down of the heavy projects and tracked to that. But it is not necessary anymore in Studio One.

Anyway - all this has got me thinking that I might wait out to see if the Axe III USB-driver gets some attention. Else perhaps an UAD-solution or something like that would be better suited for my needs.

I'm still not sure I get why you need your buffer to be that small.

Because round-trip latency gets annoying with larger buffers than 32/64 samples buffers on the RME.

The Axe driver can't pull of a 32 samples buffer without hiccups. The 64 sample buffer can barely do it on small projects and is underperforming +20% latency-wise compared to the RME.

i dont feel or hear or experience any latency in axe fx 2 or any other guitar amp i used.

Because round-trip latency gets annoying with larger buffers than 32/64 samples buffers on the RME.

Annoying how? As far as I understood you, you're essentially reamping, how can latency annoy you in such scenario? How do you even hear it? Why not use direct monitoring for Axe? Difference between 32 and 64 samples is what, less than a millisecond? I can sort of get when people feel that while playing, but hearing while reamping? It's the same as moving your head some 20cm. Does it throw you off?

Annoying how? As far as I understood you, you're essentially reamping, how can latency annoy you in such scenario? How do you even hear it? Why not use direct monitoring for Axe? Difference between 32 and 64 samples is what, less than a millisecond? I can sort of get when people feel that while playing, but hearing while reamping? It's the same as moving your head some 20cm. Does it throw you off?

No I'm not re-amping. I'm tracking with plugins.

The Axe-Fx III has a new driver. I just tested it under Reaper and was able to set the buffer size to 8 with no problems. I typically have it at 256 because I monitor directly from the output but it seems to be working fine on the lowest setting.

The Axe-Fx III has a new driver. I just tested it under Reaper and was able to set the buffer size to 8 with no problems. I typically have it at 256 because I monitor directly from the output but it seems to be working fine on the lowest setting.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! :)

I'm still not sure I get why you need your buffer to be that small.
For me, it is for realtime recording and live performance of virtual instruments, including keyboards, drums, and my Fishman Triple Play. The difference between 32 and 64 samples is noticeable. Perhaps not at first, but after playing for hours it is. Your brain becomes very sensitive to it after a while. 256 is unusable.

I also use UAD plugins with a VST feedback loop plugin in Reaper (for instance, to insert other VST effects plugins in the feedback loop of a UAD Echoplex plugin). The signal goes from host to UAD accelerator card and back again for each feedback loop. Even a 32 sample buffer adds enough latency to noticeably increase the minimum delay time of the Echoplex.

For mixing, it doesn't matter. For live performance (and for multiple round trips in feedback paths), every bit that can be shaved off is welcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom