Latency of Axe-Fx II vs Axe-Fx III?

I doubt there is much latency that anyone will really even notice in the real world with either fx 2 xl+ or III. I know there are those audio engineers who could pick out a nano second of time lapse but people who are listening to your music because they like it, will most likely not notice it.

I just tested and my AxeFx II XL has 2ms of latency from guitar input to XLR output. Just for anyone who wanted an answer to that question.
Thanks for that. I am going to have to test it a bit as well. Latency is a HUGE factor when you run the axe along side another audio in parallel. Im eyeballing the axe to assist in voyager fx duty before i buy more pedals. If i can determine the input to output latency of the axe, I can delay my mixer input on the other parallel channel and it lessens comb filtering. Nothing new here, I have to do some wild routing when doing the same as a send/return thru my mixer and back. even 2 SAMPLES at 48k can disrupt the mix intent. My biggest fear is the axe latency isnt steady, but more of a jitter. If its fx dependent, I foresee a HUGE issue.

What about latency while switching between presets? There is a huge gap with my Axe II (first gen).
I also would like to know if the latency between switching of presets is improved or not. It is the worst point of my axe fx II, so it is really important for me. Let us know please !

I also would like to know if the latency between switching of presets is improved or not. It is the worst point of my axe fx II, so it is really important for me. Let us know please !

It's improved - the silence gap is cut in half.

Around 50ms silence for Axe-Fx III (with the latest 1.09 beta#2) and around 100ms for the Axe-Fx II when switching between presets.

It's improved - the silence gap is cut in half.

Around 50ms silence for Axe-Fx III (with the latest 1.09 beta#2) and around 100ms for the Axe-Fx II when switching between presets.

Could you post a recording of Axe-FX III preset switching while holding a note/chord?

The actual preset switching gap (silence) is well under 100 ms on the Axe-FX II. The main problem is the very slow fade-in from the amp block. I posted a way to reduce the total gap/fade time to about 50 ms here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/page-2#post-1630877

Could you post a recording of Axe-FX III preset switching while holding a note/chord?

The actual preset switching gap (silence) is well under 100 ms on the Axe-FX II.

Not here. I recorded with Reaper, measured the amount of samples in the gap switching between my presets - around 100ms that's without accounting any fade in/out, using Q 9.04 FW

Not here. I recorded with Reaper, measured the amount of samples in the gap switching between my presets - around 100ms that's without accounting any fade in/out, using Q 9.04 FW

Some amp models cause a longer gap when loading, so it could be that. If you switch between some factory presets the gap should only be around 25 ms more often than not.

how many notes per second do I need to play before I start noticing it?
Petrucci notes per second or the full Angelo Batio?

The limits of human auditory perception on gap detection test is about 10ms at best, with many adults with some degree of hearing impairment (ie; most musicians) not being able to detect gaps shorter than 40ms

The guy who can hear a difference of 2 samples, NOT just 2ms, really should of come by my psycho-acoustics lab when I was in grad school as I would of loved to have done some research experiments on him and his super-human powers

What’s the latency on the digital inputs? Has anyone with access to two Axe III’s connected them via the digital I/O on the back panel?

For some reason I was wondering if one Axe 3 could be in a digital loop with another Axe3. I have no real use case for this. More hypothetical.

Back
Top Bottom