ZebulaJams

So I just bought this rig and I was super stoked to get it. So far, the experience hasn't been the best. There is no help with understanding the device, you have to Google random forums and reddit posts to find out that you have to update the firmware and install the proper drivers, and figuring out how to use it is overwhelming. (I know I'm ranting)

So I guess for starters: how do I delete scenes? I made 3 in a preset and when I change something in one scene, it affects the other scene. Like if I add a cabinet to my "Lead" scene, it adds the same cab to my "Rhythm" scene. And if I delete it from my "Rhythm" scene because I wanted a different one there, it deletes it from my "Lead" scene. I'm saving my work before going to the next scene. So I guess you have to delete scenes and make presets for each tone you want. But upon Googling around, no YouTube video, forum or manual states how to do this. (I found somewhere on their Wiki that there is no 'clear cut way' to delete presets/scenes). Since I can't just delete the blocks from the "Rhythm" scene and keep the lead scene (because it will delete the blocks from the lead scene) I'm left making presets for everything instead.

Is that right? Maybe I'm just using it wrong, I've had it for 4 days now and feel completely lost trying to figure it out. I feel like for $2k and boasting about creativity, you should be able to delete things..

Side question: Amp channels (A-D) do they do anything? I was reading something about one amp and it said "Channel 3 is created with soaring lead sounds in mind". I had to Google what channels were and those were the closest things I could find?

Help? I understand I'm coming off negatively, I'm just overwhelmed and eager.

leon just posted a video today for the FM3 (which should be almost identical) regarding Scenes Channels and more:

i made a video a long time ago explaining the concept of Presets, Scenes and Channels (then known as XY) for the Axe-Fx II. you should be able to get the fundamentals and reasons of why they exist, as those are the same on the Axe-Fx III. do know back then people wanted slower paced videos, so it seems a bit long:

Yeah the manual certainly explains that you can create scenes but nothing about deleting them or why changing something in one scene affects the other. At least from what I read in your reply. I’ll have to give those videos a watch. Anything will help at this point.

Scenes are just a group of block bypass and channel settings for the blocks on the preset grid, essentially.

You can switch cabs from rhythm to lead scene by selecting the desired IRs in two different channels of the cab block, and selecting the appropriate cab channel for the scene.

The reason changing a setting in one scene affects the other scene is because they were both using the same channel of the block whose setting was being adjusted. Switch one scene to a different channel, and adjust the setting in that channel, and you're golden.

There are always 8 scenes. You can't delete any, but you are not required to access or use all 8.

Explore things via right-clicking in Axe-Edit. Many things have context menus with useful functions lurking within. :)

Yeah the manual certainly explains that you can create scenes but nothing about deleting them or why changing something in one scene affects the other. At least from what I read in your reply. I’ll have to give those videos a watch. Anything will help at this point.
you can't delete Scenes. that's why it doesn't mention it.

8 Scenes exist in all presets whether you use them or not. just don't use a Scene you don't need. same with Channels - they exist, but you don't activate them or turn them on or anything. just use what you need.

Scenes control block on/off and channel. that's it. you don't delete blocks between scenes, and any settings made in the blocks carry over to all Scenes because Scenes control block on/off and channel, that's it.

if you want completely different blocks or layouts, you can change presets.

Scenes store the bypass state and channel of blocks. You don't delete scenes. All blocks are on all scenes and there are always 8 per preset. If you want a different cab or amp between lead and rhythm scenes, use different channels. And for more advanced stuff, you can use scene controllers to do wacky things... but you need to understand scenes, blocks and channels first.

you can't delete Scenes. that's why it doesn't mention it.

8 Scenes exist in all presets whether you use them or not. just don't use a Scene you don't need. same with Channels - they exist, but you don't activate them or turn them on or anything. just use what you need.

Scenes control block on/off and channel. that's it. you don't delete blocks between scenes, and any settings made in the blocks carry over to all Scenes because Scenes control block on/off and channel, that's it.

if you want completely different blocks or layouts, you can change presets.

ok ok, I’m understanding. Little sad you can’t delete scenes but at least I have an answer for it and have a platform to move ahead.
And last thing, I was under the impression that “Channels” were the same as, say, channels on an amp. (Clean, dirty, lead etc) sounds like that is not the case? They’re more like extra storage for different amps, sounds, fx?
I watched the first video you linked and it definitely helped.

ok ok, I’m understanding. Little sad you can’t delete scenes but at least I have an answer for it and have a platform to move ahead.
And last thing, I was under the impression that “Channels” were the same as, say, channels on an amp. (Clean, dirty, lead etc) sounds like that is not the case? They’re more like extra storage for different amps, sounds, fx?
I watched the first video you linked and it definitely helped.
the manual excerpt i posted explains channels.

a channel is different sets of settings that any block can do. you can choose for the channels in the Amp block to be clean, dirty, lead. or you can choose for them all to be clean. they can be anything you set. you can make Channel A clean with treble at 8, and Channel B clean with the only difference being treble at 4.

Scenes not being deleted are the same as there being 512 Preset slots. you're using the ones you're using. it's not like you can make the Axe only have 4 preset slots, then add a 5th when you need it, etc. you just don't use the ones you don't use. same thing.

That's exactly what they are, and much more. Say you wanted to recreate a dual rectifier.
Amp Block:
Scene 1:Channel A:Whichever Fender model you like - or USA Clean
Scene 2: Channel B: Recto2 Orange Vintage
Scene 3: Channel C: Recto2 Red Modern

That's exactly what they are, and much more. Say you wanted to recreate a dual rectifier.
Amp Block:
Channels don't need to be linked to Scenes only though, nor do they have to be in order. just pointing that out. but yes, this is how many people use it.

There's a lot in the box. I have had mine a year, and still find things I haven't used or utilized as efficiently as possible.

Reactions: ESW
Channels don't need to be linked to Scenes only though, nor do they have to be in order. just pointing that out. but yes, this is how many people use it.

Right, just throwing up an easy example that's directly related to an actual amp since he was having trouble with the concept.

Amp Block:
Say you'e done this, and want Orange Vintage for your lead sound and USA clean for your rhythm sound.

Name the first scene 'Rhythm', select channel A in ye olde amp block, and dial up a gorgeous rhythm tone. Turn on any effects you want running for your rhythm sound, a chorus block, for example.

Switch to the next scene and name it 'Lead'. Choose channel B in ye olde amp block. Dial up the lead tone of doom. Switch off the chorus and turn on the delay for a huge lead sound.

Save the preset. Now, when you hit your Rhythm scene, you get a clean, chorused tone, and when you hit your lead scene, you get a dirty sound with delay. One button tap switches the whole rig around. You will find that you don't need to add/delete blocks so much as toggle their bypass status. When bypassed, they are essentially out of the signal path, so no worries about signal loss like with a string of analog boxes....

You can set up different audio paths also, once you dig deeper, so that your complete signal path can switch around on scene changes, if you like.

Can Sympathise with OP here,

Would it be time for Fractal to either keep the manuals for products like the Axe fx 3 online based only?

That way they can be updated regularly in house as the updates occur, or purely use the forum to answer any questions from new users if that is viable?

I know Positive Grid work in this way to good effect. They don't have user manuals for their software but their support is first class.

With so many quick-fire updates that Fractal release, new users can struggle with outdated or incomplete information sometimes.

I know I definitely did as a new user.

More support for new users please.

I understand this train has been running a long time. But please don't overlook your new passengers......

I think a simple sticky video showing creating a preset from scratch would be more useful than trying to explain it in words...Coopers creating a template , creating a clean sound, adding an amp, using channels for differant amps in the preset , scenes etc...sure a 10 min video stuck somwhere on fractals website or on here would massively

I know that when I received my AF3 the firmware had already been superceded and the new updates had not been included in the paper manual.

In the paper version of the manual there was no mention of the Perform page that had just been released obviously.

That update was quite a big update as far as I was concerned.

This highlights only one example of where frequent software updates can only be supported online in my opinion. There are countless others.

Paper manuals are outmoded, especially if you need to update this frequently.

Back
Top Bottom