Jumped from FW9 to Quantum 2.0 need advice.

Kruegmeister

Experienced
This is for my Singer/Rhythm Guitarists Rig (My old Axe II)
We've been floating at 9.0 for quite some time now & decided it was time to upgrade.

So is Quantum 2.0 essentially FW21?
-or-
Is it a total departure from the old way?
Would we better off upgrading to 19 instead?

We obviously do not want to chase the latest version, quite obviously considering where we're coming from...

So any "19 vs Q2.0" differences or comparisons or guidance in upgrade journey would greatly appreciated.

Well I don't think your presets from V9 will translate very well (even to V19), Start new...upgrade to Quantum 2.01.... thank me later.. enjoy the ride

I agree. Update to Q2.1 and start fresh. So many changes and improvments across the board since FW 9 that it will be like a new unit.

Read up on which way you should do the updates if you are using both axe edit + axe 2. IIRC Quantum isn't compatible with older axe edit. I don't remember exactly what and how, but I had some issues with mine computer/axe/axe-edit because I hadn't read up on which I should had done first. So I pretty much had a situation where I couldn't update the other because of incompatibility or something like that. Took some headscratching to work around it.

FW9: had Scenes been implemented back then?

I can't speak for fw9 because I started with 19. But you asked about the differences between 19 and q2. Q2 is just better. Nuances and feel are improved. That being said all of my presets from 19 still sound good. So I don't see a reason to stop at 19. Go all the way and enjoy. I am willing to bet that with that far of a jump, you will have to rework your presets but You would with 19 too.

So much has changed since FW9. Amps, cabs, delays, reverbs, chorus, flanger, rotary, drives, etc. have been updated and reworked since then. You are most likely in for quite a bit of tweaking if you want to use your current presets. Might be better to start fresh from the new defaults when making such a big jump in FW versions. Export your current presets to your computer and you'll always have them as a reference in Axe Edit while you work on new ones.

If you double click the BYPASS (not FX BYP) button on the front panel while in the edit menu for any block, it will reset to all defaults. You can then start fresh with the new models and parameters without having to totally abandon your effects and routing setups. You can also reset blocks to defaults in the Block menu of Axe Edit as well.

Make sure you download the latest versions of Fractal Bot and Axe Edit too. Old versions of Axe Edit will not recognize the new firmware correctly.

What they said.

Either way, you're about to take a massive leap, so you might as well leap up to the best.

Woah. Ancient history...

You should be alright if you update the Axe with Axe Bot and right after Axe-Edit. Presets will usually be fine, but some have had borked ones. So make a backup. You can turn back, but only if you have a backup of the presets. Legacy firmware and Axe-Edits are available.

Be prepared to do Amp resets and tweaking. For the better. Check out the newer stock IR's.

Very extremely rarely an Axe crashes on an update, make sure to follow instructions and not rush it, there is an eprom chip available from Fractal that revives the unit, but be sure you have the time to have it sent to you and tweak afterwards.

Yea it is best to just start fresh. It most cases your fix should still be just fine. Just start fresh with your amp and cab and you will be up and running in no time

Better start fresh with everything updated :)
BTW I think you have to install Q1 or Q2 before updating to Q2.01, think I read that on the forum

Let us know how you like the changes. I'd be curious of what some of us might think of that FW9

I've gone up from FW15.02 and have just started from scratch again. I've started with presets and then tweaked them to get into the area I need them to be. I'm going to start playing about with custom IRs, but I want to understand Q2.01 better before I start fiddling with too many variables in one go.

Understand where you need to be, but start from scratch; my experience is you'll spend longer adjusting your existing presets than finding something close and starting from scratch. I found the updated factory preset bundle that someone shared with the volumes adjusted to be a very good starting point. Worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom