Jeff Beck Passed...

this one has really devastated me.

As i am an old fucker, Jeff being exactly ten years older than me , he changed my life on the week he released Truth and has given me untold hours of joy and wonder …Didnt get to see him live in his first few decades of his career, but made up for it when he started touring regularly in the late 90s …the double bill he did with Zappa Plays Zappa at the Nokia in LA was worth the cross country jaunt …and got to see my favorite version of JBG with Vinnie Coliuta and Tal Wilkenfeld several times…..if you havent seen Live at Ronnie Scott’s, it captures his genius and and cosmic rapport with that band performed for his (not ) peers and fellow Brit legends, each of whom knew who the true king of guitar was at that moment and forever.

miss him so much already.

That was horrible, but it did sound quick and I hope he didn't suffer. He was one the best guitar players I've ever heard. Tier 1. But if you were writing songs, wouldn't you want to hear what he changes, adds, removes, and plays? Genius, RIP.

Jeff changed the way generations of guitarists approached music. His playing inspired players to take sonic risks. Edgy tones full of character instead of sterile, homogenous average tones that tend to dominate the industry. He has been the most inspiring guitarist throughout history. It is worth going back to his music again and again for inspiration.
I spent a month working in his presence. It was the only time in my life where I was early to work every day.
Live, Jeff would play a song- just kill it- and then check his tuning audibly, the guitar would be so horribly out of tune!!! You couldn't ever tell during the song because he could just "play" the guitar in tune no matter how bad the guitar was actually out of tune. Genius

So sad, one of the true originals, entertaining audiences and stunning “colleagues” during a seven decennia spanning career. Thanks Jeff, for everything…….. 🕯️

"Hearing about Jeff Beck is a shock. He was one of the most original guitarists I ever heard. He never conformed to status quo guitar or conventional playing, always reaching for a new dimension which he achieved multiple times. He was the most expressive lyrical storytelling guitarist there ever was and that’s why non musicians loved him. He garnered more affection from audiences than other guitar heroes because he had such a musical poetry to his playing.
I believe that he and Jimi Hendrix were the most inventive and original rock guitarists there ever was. I had the gift of being able to visit with Jeff a few times and that is a treasured memory in my life. The guitar world will go on but it won’t be the same without the most inventive six string visionary we have been graced with on this planet.
Joyous wishes to you, Jeff, as you soar on to your next magnificent adventure. Thank you for teaching me and inspiring me to want to play guitar."
Eric(Johnson)

Back
Top Bottom