Jeff Beck Passed...

"With the passing of Jeff Beck folks are asking….will there be a new generation to birth a new guitar hero? I have a suggestion. Put down the phone, forget about posting and join a band. Book yourselves into the shittiest bars possible. Play those holes for years, and years. Then see where you are at. Beck joined the Rumbles, a Croydon band, in 1963 for a short period as lead guitarist, playing Gene Vincent and Buddy Holly songs. That's how it's done. No shortcuts. Same as EVH who played every backyard party, school, and eventually clubs to hone his craft. By the time i was 17, i was playing three nights a week in nightclubs. I would not have traded that training for the world."
-Steve Stevens

From Steve Farris of Mr Mister

Saying Jeff Beck was one of the greatest guitarists ever, is a sort of anemic comment in my view. Equivalent of saying,
“The Atom Bomb dropped in WW11 was one of the largest explosions”, or “Mike Tyson was a pretty good puncher”. Hell
,we can do better than that! For me, Jeff Beck was probably the single biggest guitar influence on my guitar playing.
There was another who died on September 18, 1970 when I was in junior high. But since his death, no guitar player has
“done it’ for me the way Jeff could. And it sounds silly to even say, but as far as influence, I was clearly not alone.
Stories? I was incredibly fortunate enough to have someone contact me to bring over guitars for Jeff to use when he and
Rod Stewart apparently laid down their past feuding and spontaneously were recording “People Get Ready” at the Record
Plant in LA. I had just finished a session for our first Mr. Mister Record and got to go over and sit to hear him lay down
about 7 solos on the record. But before that, I had shown up with a couple guitars, pulled them out. He sat on a chair in
front of me and noodled on my Valley Arts Strat and stopped to look up at me and said, “It's a bit of a Rolls Royce, init”.
And to this day, though having played on a lot of recordings in the 80s and 90s, my favorite credit is that Jeff Beck played
my guitar. Having heard his compliment of it, made it truly unbelievable for a kid from Nebraska who learned everything
on his instrument from records like “the Jeff Beck Group” with “Ice Cream Cakes”, “Goin Down, etc.,
And I sat in on jam sessions all my life, with famous and not so famous musicians to often play my choice, “Freeway Jam”
which would rock the house… yet with an instrumental! But perhaps my favorite of all, is a song I’ve played for all my life
that helped me be, or emulate, the guitarist, or just simply the musician I wanted to be. That song is “Cause We Ended as
Lovers”. It was written by Stevie Wonder but performed by Jeff on the “Blow by Blow” album. Incidentally that is one of
the two albums that I have always told budding guitarists to get, and to learn everything off of. The other was Jimi
Hendrix, “Are you Experienced”. But if you nail those, you might be somebody. And I have played it at the reception of
my first wedding, on a boat when hired by the Church of Scientology, and a million other occasion where I wanted people
to go away and say, “That guy is fucking great!” Because all I was ever trying to do is come even close to the sensitive
dialog that Jeff could, and always did… that song being one for all times. In fact, Beatles producer George Martin had
produced that album for Jeff. And as oddities would have it, while I was playing at the Vina Del Mar festival in Chile with
Mr. Mister, 1988, George was a judge because other than international headliners like us at the time, the festival was
more or less a big battle of the bands for South American Artists. So, we had a song in our set that somehow I always
weaved a bit of “Freeway Jam” into it… (another song from “Blow by Blow”). And George had produced it. So, at the
point of playing the passage, it dawned on me who I was about to perform it in front of. So I walked straight up in front of
George, who was seated in the front row of judges and played the Bit of Freeway Jam” while smiling and looking at him in
the eye while I did. I’ll never forget Sir George Martin, with his head resting on his hand held up from crossed arms,
fingers in front of his mouth, nodding up and down in a sort of approval, smile somewhat hidden, but not entirely.
To describe who he was to guitar, is to examine when going to the LA Colosseum at his concert and look down the front
row of the audience to see every famous guitar player from the LA area… Eddie Van Halen, to Steve Lukather, to all you
can think of… because Mofos… let me tell you, School was fucking on!!! And maybe unlike your day-dreaming in class,
this time, you’d be best to pay attention! Because being a guitarist myself, I can hear all kinds of things being played by
other guitarists and maybe I can’t, or never learned to, do them, I always know what they are doing. But to the day he
died, Jeff was the one guy that could still play something, and I’d pause to say, “Hold on, what the hell was that?” The
innovator! And he was a guy that could play one note, and you could immediately say, “That’s Jeff Beck”. And he also
had the uncanny ability to play with all the aggression and incredible fire that was coined in the 60s and morphed and
evolved to heavy metal, etc., but still the soul of Ry Cooder on a slide… just with more balls!
And I’m name dropping one more time, but I had done a photo shoot for Yamaha guitars along with Steve Lukather back
in the 80s, and we ended up over at his house after, watching videos of a concert he had just done in Japan with Carlos
Santana and Jeff Beck. We watched Steve’s set in which he was himself, great, fast and furious, lots of effects and
interesting processing on his guitar. Then Carlos did his set sounding like he does, soulful etc, and “Carlos” all the way.
But then Jeff comes on with a banana-colored strat and a simple Fender amp (probably a Twin). He plays about 3 or 4
notes and Lukather’s face sort of droops as he says to me, “Look at him… he comes out and plays 4 notes and they’re
better than my last 50.” I said, “I know”. What the fuck else could I say? It wasn’t an insult or anything else. It’s just you
gotta say it. Jeff was the king… fucking period!
Miss him is again to undersell the feeling. Stupidly or whatever, I feel a real loss. Because I got some success, some
small amount fame, and I met or worked with, or for, many celebrities and famous people. But he was one of the only that
I ever met, that I couldn’t really converse with. My tongue was “all thumbs”. I was, am, and will always be, in awe of Jeff
Beck! Thank you Jeff for being one of my greatest teachers on the six string, particularly the vibrato (wang) bar. It was
you that made me do it. You could sing like no other, And no matter how good I ever got, it was always good to know if I
needed to get knocked down a notch or 75 of them, all I had to do is watch a video of you. You were very much more
than a bit of a Rolls Royce!!!s

Jeff was the king… fucking period!
Mic drop!

It's really weird for me was growing up and learning to play when I did, EVH was the king... And remained there for me for a long time.

Then came Satch, EJ, Vai... And somewhere in there I heard Guitar Shop. Then I started to learn more about JB and how many of these guys ALL called him the best.

When Eddie died, it was definitely the end of an era... And all respect to Ed, but I don't think he progressed much after the late 80's.

Jeff never stopped. Continuously evolving and improving, although I'm never sure how that's even possible!

There's some stuff he does on Emotion & Commotion where it's almost impossible for me to distinguish between the vocal and the guitar.

With Jeff gone it's not the end an era, it's the end of an Epoch!

Eddie was a much bigger and more prominent influence on me but Jeff's passing is having a much bigger affect on my spirit... I feel it much more. :(

There's no one who was so consistently surprising, every line so unique it could only be him.

I haven't listened to him that much for quite a while, but I'm really feeling this one too. Passing of a great one for sure.

I recognized him much too late in my life, about 5 years ago watching Live at Ronnies on youtube.
I was floored, absolutely floored. Musically and on the human level there was so much positive going on between him, Tal and Vinnie....stunning, absolutely stunning. So much emotion in tone and great musical skills. Some tones touched my heart. What can touch you is a personal thing, I know. But isn`t this, what its all about ? This man had the ability to do that, and in a positive way. But his music is still here, and will be here for a long time.

Mic drop!

It's really weird for me was growing up and learning to play when I did, EVH was the king... And remained there for me for a long time.

Then came Satch, EJ, Vai... And somewhere in there I heard Guitar Shop. Then I started to learn more about JB and how many of these guys ALL called him the best.

When Eddie died, it was definitely the end of an era... And all respect to Ed, but I don't think he progressed much after the late 80's.

Jeff never stopped. Continuously evolving and improving, although I'm never sure how that's even possible!

There's some stuff he does on Emotion & Commotion where it's almost impossible for me to distinguish between the vocal and the guitar.

With Jeff gone it's not the end an era, it's the end of an Epoch!

Eddie was a much bigger and more prominent influence on me but Jeff's passing is having a much bigger affect on my spirit... I feel it much more. :(

I've been listening to his stuff an awful lot since he died, it's certainly got under my skin more now. I always knew how big of an influence he was on most, if not all, of my favourite guitarists. But, now I'm really taking to his music and playing even more.
I'm off work the next few days and intend to spend a lot of time learning some of his songs, and properly learning them

I've been listening to albums of his I'd never really got into before and stumbled across Live+, which was a reasonably recent live album. I have to say, if someone asked me to recommend a JB album as they weren't familiar with him I'd suggest this one. It has a fair few of his classics on there, but there are some killer moments throughout
Anyone else got any new discoverys?

I've been listening to his stuff an awful lot since he died, it's certainly got under my skin more now. I always knew how big of an influence he was on most, if not all, of my favourite guitarists. But, now I'm really taking to his music and playing even more.
I'm off work the next few days and intend to spend a lot of time learning some of his songs, and properly learning them

I've been listening to albums of his I'd never really got into before and stumbled across Live+, which was a reasonably recent live album. I have to say, if someone asked me to recommend a JB album as they weren't familiar with him I'd suggest this one. It has a fair few of his classics on there, but there are some killer moments throughout
Anyone else got any new discoverys?
Not new, but I really really dig Live at Ronnie Scott's.
Such a great band and set of performances.

Last edited:
A sad day indeed. Jeff was a true original and a huge inspiration, both in his playing and musical philosophy. I was fortunate to have seen him twice over the years, and I was a changed man after the first time I saw him on the Guitar Shop tour in 1989.

I remember walking out of that show and going on and on about how I'd never heard anybody pull so many tones/sounds out of his guitar just with his hands and volume/tone controls. I'd not previously heard a guitarist that had such nuance, control, musicality, dynamics, and originality. I was blown away.

He, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page 'invented' and kicked off the era of the 'guitar hero' IMO. All roads lead to those three in the mid-60's, and Jeff's passing is all that much more heartbreaking in that it very much marks the start of a passing of that era. And so it begins....sigh.

Guitar Shop and There and Back are my 2 favorites.

Emotion & Commotion is very good.

There's an album he did called Frankie's House that's interesting - it's from a soundtrack.

New to me since he passed , I’ve been binging. If you haven’t seen the Rockabilly set and House party then watch those. He uses a flat pick on some of the songs and nails everything completely, tones are phenomenal and it’s just so well done. There are tons of Jeff Beck videos, he left us with that. His complete guitar mastery was just mind blowing. I’ve never seen anyone use his guitar controls and trem as well as he did. Which is why I love these 2 videos, he does a lot of non lead playing, weaving this beautiful tapestry of guitar throughout, notes always shifting, volume moving, I can’t really describe it too well but he did it in a way that no one I know has ever done.

'Cat Moves' from Cozy Powell's 1981 album, 'Tilt'. 'Tilt' featured two Jan Hammer compositions featuring JB on guitar, the other being 'Hot Rock.' Gary Moore also plays on the album-recommended!

YouTube is throwing up some gems, this is amazing

What floors me about that performance is that Tommy said he never learned the song, but wanted to try to play it as a tribute that night. Then in typical Tommy fashion, he plays a killer version off the cuff.

Back
Top Bottom