Is the axe II really that much better than an ultra?

redbud

Inspired
I own an ultra and I am considering selling it for a II.

I love the ultra and was wondering is the axe II really that much better to justify the cost?

I am mostly interested in the amp and cab blocks, or tone if you will. I run FRFR setup.

thanks

No, its all a placebo scam.

Kidding.

It is certainly better but value of better is a deeply relative thing. $1 to you might mean less than it does to me and the Ultra is still a damn fine unit too.

If you have the means to do it without hurting more important priorities, do it. If you don't, don't sweat it. The ultimate truth $2400 of practicing more will make a bigger difference!

Your Ultra is a still "better" than most of the gear used on the albums you've heard were recorded with IMHO and FWIW only. : )

I was put on the waiting list yesterday and I do have the means to purchase an axe II but only if i sell the ultra. I would just like to have an idea of what im getting.

Is it as some have suggested like a jump from a POD to the ultra. or a smaller step up?

Totally understand that practice will make more difference, I have always said that Clapton will still sound like Clapton on a 100 dollar peavey.

I am not looking to copy tones or albums I guess Im just looking for a better feel. or maybe i just have G.A.S.

Coming from the Ultra, what I noticed right away, even with the early firmwares on the II, was the increased realism in the sound. It got even better with 3, and then again with 5 I believe with the improvements in the amp models and power amp sims. 6 will be another milestone. Can't wait to hear it. Plus, having more cabs and user cab slots and being able to name the user cabs in the II is a huge help if you're an amp/cab guy who likes to use third party cabs.

I did the same thing you're thinking about doing. I sold my Ultra for the II. I could not be happier.

Also, what DLM and FPFL said. :)

I was put on the waiting list yesterday and I do have the means to purchase an axe II but only if i sell the ultra. I would just like to have an idea of what im getting.

Is it as some have suggested like a jump from a POD to the ultra. or a smaller step up?

Totally understand that practice will make more difference, I have always said that Clapton will still sound like Clapton on a 100 dollar peavey.

I am not looking to copy tones or albums I guess Im just looking for a better feel. or maybe i just have G.A.S.

Going from a pod to an ultra is a huge jump. An ultra to an axefx 2 is a much smaller jump. But dont get me wrong, ive had all 3 and the axfx 2 is noticably better and worth every cent.

I too sold my Ultra right away when I hear about the II, and when I got it, I could notice the amps sounded more real and felt better. You can really use the volume and tone knobs on the guitar. I use vox and fender sims, and their perfect. All the extra features are really nice and useful too. I don't regret the move because everything about getting my sound and capturing it is just way easier.

Short answer-Yes.

I had the Ultra. Nice modeler.
The Line 6 stuff was still in the same ballpark.

Axe Fx II is much better in every way IMO.
Dunno about FW 6.0, but I am happy now.
If 6.0 has a marked improvement in the amp sims somehow, and the Tone Matching thing actually works and is useful...........
it will be one amazing piece of gear then.

Both units are perfectly adequate to achieve tonal awesomeness. The extent of tonal awesomeness is up to your fingers regardless of which unit you play. Don't underestimate what can be done with the ultra, but remember the II has more knobs if you like tweakery, and more features.

Don't expect a night and day difference. If your ultra doesn't sound killer, the II won't either (although many folks seem to prefer the factory presets in the II).

Last edited:
I'm actually going to say no. I literally have an ultra side by side my II while I recreate some patches.

There are 3 things that I absolutely love about the II. First, the cabs. I believe this is where the majority of the sonic difference comes from. I don't know how to test this without buying them, but I bet if you had the ownhammer and redwirez cab collections in the ultra, it would sound very similar.

Second, the "amp voicing" knob on the amp block is amazing. I'm not sure how it's changing the model, but it feels like a predetermined eq setting, like you would have on your ipod. It's great to have, but I'm pretty sure you can simulate this in the ultra.

Third, the directory of patches. Incredibly useful until I get the patches organized and settle into a a few of them. I used 7 patches to do everything I needed to do across 2 bands with the ultra.

Of course there's all the little interface things that are handy, like usb, the quick control knobs, etc... But sonically, they're not that different. In fact, some of the new modeling is in the ultra. There are several stock patches that are in both units and they are extremely similar apart from the default cabs.

I own an ultra and I am considering selling it for a II.

I love the ultra and was wondering is the axe II really that much better to justify the cost?

I am mostly interested in the amp and cab blocks, or tone if you will. I run FRFR setup.

thanks

I upgraded 6 weeks ago.
IMHO yes it has been worth it and there is a definite difference between the two.

It is much quicker for me to pull guitar tones.
I find it more open sounding- clearer.

Also the interfacing is vastly improved.
I am working on a project at the moment where I am re-amping loads of raw guitar tracks.
Usually I would have to run over analog into the Ultra and re-record, then manually line up the tracks.
The Axe 2 is much simpler- I just re-amp via USB.

YMMV of course.

Last edited:
I also have both units in the same rack, and use both. The ultra is MUCH less dynamic thin and even 'harsh' compared to the II.

Before FW5, I used FW3 (I don't upgrade that regular), and they were both very similar, I'd have said that there's little or no real difference between the two, but post-fw5, the difference (to me at least) IS night and day. To my fingers and ears, the jump is now almsot as big as going from a pod to an axe - the difference is currently THAT big. YMWV IMHO and all the usual disclaimers.

I sold my ultra a few months back and the same day my name came up on the waiting list to purchase the II. Seriously no regrets of selling the ultra.
Plus firmware 5.07 is phenomenal and 6.0 is just going to be a big big step up.My advice don't hesitate,just get it :)

IMHO, more warmth and more punch make quite a bit of a difference. There's more realism too, the difference it makes depends on the kind of music played (and the AMP type). But it is definitely a step higher than the ULTRA ... and with v6 it should get close to nirvana:p.

Back
Top Bottom