Is the axe II really that much better than an ultra?

Taking CPU limits and future Firmware updates out of the equation:

If you're a lazy git like me then the Axe2 gets you great sound pretty quick

If you're a happy parameter tinkerer then the Ultra will get you great tone as well .... however you can still geek out on the Axe2 as well if that's your thing.

But no matter what anyone says, if you've an Ultra you'll always wonder what the Axe2 is like won't you?:twisted

Hey rex i believe you are the one who talked me into selling my incredibly large pedal board for an ultra last year.

thanks!

now i have GAS again

I'm with Jon on this one. It would probably be really hard to justify the difference between v5.0 came out, but ever since then its a no brainer to me.

Considering the coupon, shipping, tax, and good resale value of my Ultra, I paid about $1300 US for the upgrade - YES, I think it is worth it since:
- I got a new box to replace a 3 year old one.
- I got the new features in the AxeII.
- I got all the firmware update features yet to come.

Not much more to add

Just

Gap how II is better then Ultra is on top of all true above mentioned

Cleans-way better.5 min tweaking and you are in 99% Blackface area
High gain-better but not that huge jump
Effects better
Now huge effects chains are possible for really big tones(look to smilefan's Sanatana patch.Its simulating the full percussion group too
Amp tweaking-->Speaker Tab WAY better
AMp response on playing better
Cab IR's-->on par with Ultra

Makes tube amps really obsolete vintage thing(and that comes from a die hard tube nut)

Would take II any day over ULTRA even if this means less eating for a while

My 5 cents

Roland

I got the Axe II about a month ago. Still learning to dial it in. It sounds very good - but it sounds different than the Ultra. Almost like a different amp. There's just different characteristics to the sound envelope. There are some patches that sound better right off on the Axe II, and then a couple - the JTM45 for example - that I can't get to sound as good as the Ultra. To my ear that patch sounds more 'fenderlike' on the Axe II than the smokey, growling low-mid vibe I can get with the Ultra. I'm still gigging with the Ultra and the Axe II stays home until I can get it configured to my liking. I'll probably end up using both - maybe one into either side of a stereo power amp. I do that when I'm home and the Ultra sounds great right along with the axe II.

I do think all the improvments on the Axe II make it a better tool - headphone jack, USB, X-Y, etc., but the Ultra is a great rig that is worth keeping.

The feel is perhaps the most noticeable difference between the Ultra and the II. The Ultra/Standard had good feel. The II takes that to a whole new level.

yes, even with similar sounds, the FEEL of the II is quite different, and 'breathes' more under your fingers :) I still like the ultra, but I have fallen in love with the II :D

Coming from the Ultra, what I noticed right away, even with the early firmwares on the II, was the increased realism in the sound. It got even better with 3, and then again with 5 I believe with the improvements in the amp models and power amp sims. 6 will be another milestone. Can't wait to hear it. Plus, having more cabs and user cab slots and being able to name the user cabs in the II is a huge help if you're an amp/cab guy who likes to use third party cabs.
What he said. Also, the added convenience factors (Cat5 hookup with MFC, USB audio & MIDI, A/B/C/D knobs) might not account for the $$$ difference but they did enhance my satisfaction when I upgraded.

That said, for me it came down to this: the Ultra is "done". What you've got is what you've got. That's certainly not a bad thing but the ride is over with the G1 hardware. I've "unwrapped" four major firmware revs on the II since I got mine last June. While some might be frustrated by the need to update presets, I generally enjoy it. It's like getting to know a new device but without the expense of buying anything. If you don't consider that kind of thing to be fun, that would be a big reason to stick with the Ultra.

Value is relative - I sold my iPad 2 and got a New iPad - total cost per week for the iPad 2 was £5.60. Could I have lived without the iPad... no - was it really expensive? No...

Same with the Fractal II which is way better than the Ultra. If it makes you play more, enjoy more and stops the Gear Acquisition Syndrome then it's worth every penny. It does all three with ease!

Hey rex i believe you are the one who talked me into selling my incredibly large pedal board for an ultra last year.

thanks!

now i have GAS again
I remember. You had a pedalboard that would break an ox's back. Miss it? :)

I own an ultra and I am considering selling it for a II.

I love the ultra and was wondering is the axe II really that much better to justify the cost?

I am mostly interested in the amp and cab blocks, or tone if you will. I run FRFR setup.

thanks
SIMPLY - YES !!
I've had my Axe-II almost a year now.... When I first got it I tried to emulate/clone my Ultra presets! That was completely the wrong approach. G2 modeling is different and one should start from scratch.
With the impending v6 release, the distinction (IMHO) will be night and day. The factory presets are GREAT starting points. Factor in that NO NEW firmware releases will happen for the Ultra. It's essentially obsolete - but still a GREAT unit in its own right!
My $0.02

if you're using the amp and cab sims then it's definitely worth the upgrade. if you're just using the unit for effects only then grab a used ultra and save yourself some $$$

I hope so cuz I just pulled the trigger on one. BTW....I received my coupon code in December and it worked today. 4/20/2012

I remember. You had a pedalboard that would break an ox's back. Miss it? :)
not really but i wish i could keep it anyway. it was a very sweet pedal board. i traded the board itself,1 homemade pedal and a free piano tuning for a tele.

one reason i dont like tube amps i am a piano tuner and do not want to loose my hearing

Back
Top Bottom