Bug? Invalid Midi Messages to external MIDI destinations from MDC101 thru Axe II.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 . The Axe II shows up as a valid MIDI source in the MIDI devices window.
I am trouble shooting using MIDI Monitor.

I had a terrific MIDI setup with my the MFC101 and the Ultra - I used a MIDI interface between the MFC 101 and the Axe MIDI input, to route MIDI controller data from my 3 pedals and XS1 & XS2, to soft synths in my computer. That same data went also to the Axe Ultra and I could use the same pedals for controllers in the Axe as well. While the MFC101 and Axe II are working just fine with one another and AXE EDIT I now have controller issues.

So today I put the AxII in the rack and have tried all the setting combinations I can think of. MIDI adaptor is ON and MIDI THRU is ON.
All I can get in regards to MIDI messages out of the USB connected AXE II is "invalid messages" - even though all the pedal and switch assignments are the same as before.
How can I get the Axe II to simply echo unadulterated CC messages out to a specified MIDI port?
I tried it using AXE EDIT with MIDI Merge set to a port and did get messages - but they incorrect and were strange and seemed random - like "channel pressure", "program change", Tune Request" etc. This makes no sense to me. I get either no messages at all or junk.
I'm not an amateur at using advanced MIDI setups but this has me stumped.

If I have to I can go back to using the discrete MIDI output again to the MIDI router - but that would be going backwards for me.

:(

I was just trying to do something similar and am having similar results. I have the AxeFX II set to USB Adapter mode on in the MIDI settings, MIDI through is off (shouldn't affect this). I have an FCB1010 plugged into the Axe, and the Axe is receiving messages from it as I can change patches, etc. The Axe FX is connected to my computer (OS X 10.7.2) through USB and I have successfully installed the driver and can see both an audio and MIDI device from it.

I'm under the impression that in this configuration, the Axe should send the MIDI messages it receives from the FCB pedal through the AxeFX II Midi Out device. Midi Monitor will show me sysex tempo messages from the Axe, however when I press anything on the pedal I get several invalid messages instead of the PC, CC messages I'd expect. It looks like the messages are all 1 byte, and I'm wondering if they are being broken up improperly somehow.

There is a problem with the mid thru on my Axe-FX II also. If I connect the Liquid Foot Pro to the Axe FX II input then the AXE FX II mid thru to my Midi Solutions splitter to my Roland VG-8, GR-55, & Soundblox Multiwave Pro: I get all sorts of problems & messages not received, etc. If I send the exact same Liquid Foot Pro message to my midi splitter which then goes to the AXE FX II, VG-8, GR-55 & Multiwave: it works fine. To me, this is the biggest problem with the Axe FX II right now. It makes it where I can not use the AXE FX II phantom power (thus decreasing my cabling).

I found a work around!
I am using the MIDI out jack of the Axe II and running that into my MIDI interface and - now all the signals appear to be correct coming from the MFC and into that MIDI port of the interface. Just be sure that MIDI thru is set to "ON".
:)

Weird. I do this all the time and never have problems as I use the Axe-Fx as the MIDI interface for my laptop.

Can you try it using a Windows machine and see if the problem remains?

Sorry Cliff - I would like to help out, and no offense intended to you, but I do not own a Windoze machine at this point. Although Windoze 7 is very mac like and probably works a lot better then the previous versions. Any other tests that I can run on the mac?
At this point I have turned off USB Adaptor mode (it was causing a MIDI loop) and I can run as expected.

A little late to the party, but I'm seeing exactly the same thing. MIDI Monitor is reporting that MIDI data is coming through, but it is reporting it as invalid. In MIDI Translator, I can see the raw data better, and you can see that the data is pretty munged. For example, on each program change, the data is different from the previous call.

I'm going to try going through the Midi out as suggested... just hoping that others have found a USB solution as it would be simpler.

I have confirmed that when I switched to using the MIDI Out connection of the Axe FX II (instead of USB), the MIDI messages come through fine. Clearly there is something wrong with how the Axe is sending MIDI messages through USB.

For reference, this is with a Mac.

having the same issues with my FCB1010 when trying to program it via the Axe 2 USB to midi. Keep getting an error where the amount of data received is invalid. I believe there was a thread sometime back on this issue. I'm using a windows PC FYI.

I had a brief email exchange with Fractal Support back in November about this. They said that it was a known bug with version 1 (or 2, or whatever version I was running back then). It's now May, and I just checked this setup again using version 6 of the firmware. I figured if it was a known bug, it should be fixed 8 months later. It is still behaving exactly the same. I would love to be able to use my MFC pedals to control soft synths via USB. Is there a better way to track these types of bugs, other than the forums?

Is there a better way to track these types of bugs, other than the forums?
There is a bug tracker in use by FAS for all their products.. but it is not open to the public. It is used by Beta Team and FAS developers for enhancement requests, bug and issue tracking...

Has this ever gotten a fix? Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'm trying to use Reaper in a live environment, and I need my foot controller to control the play/stop function, but all I can get out of the Axe is "invalid" when I test this through MIDI Monitor. I've gotten all of the MIDI functions to work going TO the Axe, (patch/scene changes,) it's just down to making this work, and we're a go. If it's still an issue, no super big deal, in the long run we'll be getting an audio/MIDI adapter, but I kinda wanted to start using this setup now.

I'm discovering the same issue. In order to free up the midi in on my interface I'm trying to also now use the axe fx II as another interface to switch patches in MainStage. Discovering this has been a long on going issue with mac's and not Fractal's fault. Stinks none the less but seems like they are aware of it happening for awhile. I'm on 10.9.4 Looks like I'll be using my other little interface as well now.

I just got a new MBP yesterday, and it's running 10.9.5, and it's still a no go. I'll have to wait a few weeks/months (depending) before I have the money for an interface, and I really want to use my MIDI pedal to automate everything, so I am quite annoyed. :( It just doesn't look as professional to be fiddling with a laptop between each song.

Anyone succesfully using the axe as their midi interface with a mac? My focusrite had to go back in for a warranty fix and I'd like to use my mac for a show this weekend without taking up an extra usb port for the midi interface.

Yea I'm trying to use mine with mainstage and the midi messages aren't even recognized in mainstage at this point. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting tonight. Mac OSX 10.9.4 is what I'm using. Maybe the update will help possibly. Would having midi thru on/off affect anything?

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear its working for you.

Works great with my macbook osx 10.9.5 into Logic pro,Reaper , garageband
MIDI (in), or MIDI (out)? Cause I can get the Axe to "hear" MIDI (in) from my Mac, but I can't get any DAW on my Mac to "hear" MIDI (out) from the Axe.

I'm actually about to try it out with vrs. 16.02, just in case something in there fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom