Bug? Invalid Midi Messages to external MIDI destinations from MDC101 thru Axe II.

I don't remember how I currently have things routed in my rack, and I'm not at home to check. I will try to remember to look, when I get a chance. It's been a busy few weeks for me. BUT I may have forgotten this was even an issue the last time I cleaned things up in my rack, and by chance, I hooked everything up through USB, and it worked. So, maybe?

I’m having a similar MIDI issue with Axe-FX II XL+ [w/ LF+JR+/Ableton Live 9 on MacBook Pro] currently. Have dredged the forums but no answers yet. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The LF+ foot controller is connected via 7-pin MIDI to the Axe. The Axe connects to Mac over USB. I can see the incoming MIDI traffic on a MIDI monitor program (Axe-FX MIDI Out port). MIDI data from the LF+ via the Axe-FX is coming through to the Mac with seemingly random MIDI messages included. I've selected the Axe’s MIDI ports in Ableton. Everything looks right!!! But no MIDI signals are appearing in Live.

I’ve tried connecting the controller over USB directly to the Mac (via FAMC bridge software) and it works fine.

FYI, USB adaptor mode was activated - if it wasn't the MIDI data wouldn't have been visible at the Mac. I've attached a screenshot image of the MIDI monitor data to clarify. If I sweep a connected expression pedal (CC10 - assigned to 'In Volume') different messages appear. The LF+ message is correct - I have no idea why the Axe-FX is sending all these different messages back to the Mac. The controller controls the Axe-FX correctly when connected to the Axe's 5-Pin MIDI In port but the data seems to be 're-processed' on its way out to the Mac. Is this normal?

I simply want to get messages from the controller to Ableton - call me a control freak...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-02-15 07.52.55.png
    Screenshot 2018-02-15 07.52.55.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 3
I just now checked my setup, and yes, I'm still having to use a physical MIDI cable to transmit signals TO my Macbook. USB works fine when automating/communicating with the Axe-FX, but I can't use a MIDI pedal through the Axe-FX to send messages to my Mac/DAW over USB. I have to use an actual MIDI cable out of the Axe-FX, which has been quite a pain in the ass.

Thanks for confirming that. Guess I'll have to add another 5pin MIDI to USB interface to the mix -- but I'm running out of USB ports.

Reading the manual gives one the impression that 'Two-way High-Speed MIDI Communication' is flawless.

Do we know why this problem even happens?

Thanks for confirming that. Guess I'll have to add another 5pin MIDI to USB interface to the mix -- but I'm running out of USB ports.

Reading the manual gives one the impression that 'Two-way High-Speed MIDI Communication' is flawless.

Do we know why this problem even happens?
I'm not sure of all the details, but I got the impression it has to do with how mac deals with MIDI over USB.

Must be a Mac thing. I can use expression pedals and switches on my MFC to control plugins in Reaper on my PC just fine.

Yep. Worked with the Behringer FCB1010 I had before the MFC as well.
Yup. This is one of he first things I had a problem with when I first got my Axe-FX II, back in early 2014, and it seems like they either can't fix it, or have forgotten it's an issue.

So I plugged in one half of a Yamaha BT transmitter into the Axe's MIDI thru port and connected it via Bluetooth to the Mac. It works. That saved a USB spot -- but what a pain in the butt!

It's hard to believe an issue like this can happen with gear that costs thousands and thousands of dollars. I'll have to test it out with a Windows computer and see if the problem persists. But in that case, there will be even less routing options.

EDIT: Just tested this by switching MacBook Pro for a Windows 10 laptop. MIDI over USB works perfectly - no garbled messages coming in at all. Thank you, Apple :|

Last edited:
I've had the same problem with the Axe FX MIDI through USB from the MFC 101 on a MBP. The thing is it works if I use a Roland UM-One USB interface. So I don't think it's a Mac thing. It's a Fractal USB driver thing. Roland makes a driver that works.

Here's the thread I started: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-usb-midi-thru-problem.134179/

Unfortunately support told me it probably won't be addressed. I'm extremely disappointed in this but that's the way it is. I'll recover. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom