In the Spirit of NAMM Anouncements (FAS reactive load box)

I get that. The question was how this is a feature...
How is it not a feature? The option of eliminating a wall wart is a good one.

If you don't like the feature, you can use a wall wart instead. The electrical specs are broad enough that almost every guitarist has at least one that will work.

First pics of the production samples

LB2.jpg

LB2_rear.jpg

Looks amazing. Sorry if I've missed this bit of the chat - any feedback on the price point yet??

How is it not a feature? The option of eliminating a wall wart is a good one.

If you don't like the feature, you can use a wall wart instead. The electrical specs are broad enough that almost every guitarist has at least one that will work.
A feature is passive load with a decent transformer, but that's just me.

That's one feature. Active, low-impedance output is another feature, and the ability to do away with a power supply is yet another one. :)
Sigh...trust me when I say I dealt more with loads and line outs than I care to remember. Thus whole "feature thing" reminds me of the time at THD were we designed their Amos and changed the Hot Plate's line out to incorporate the "features" they wanted.
I like that the Fractal box has a 200 ohm load, I wouldn't own the Suhr load cause the output impedance is no where I want it to be. That said the excitement of any compensated load is lost on me. If I really want to use an amp with IRs I rather use a speaker as the load.
Plus the lack of having a transformer in there with all the ground loop issues that gonna rear their heads I pity customer support.

But hey I could be wrong and it just might be the coolest gadget ever...especially if the price point isn't as unreasonable as some other C designs.

Sigh...trust me when I say I dealt more with loads and line outs than I care to remember. Thus whole "feature thing" reminds me of the time at THD were we designed their Amos and changed the Hot Plate's line out to incorporate the "features" they wanted.
I like that the Fractal box has a 200 ohm load, I wouldn't own the Suhr load cause the output impedance is no where I want it to be. That said the excitement of any compensated load is lost on me. If I really want to use an amp with IRs I rather use a speaker as the load.
Plus the lack of having a transformer in there with all the ground loop issues that gonna rear their heads I pity customer support.

But hey I could be wrong and it just might be the coolest gadget ever...especially if the price point isn't as unreasonable as some other C designs.

You can trust Fractal can deliver the best Reactive load.;)

I asked long ago for a reactive load in the Axe Fx. Cliff has offered essentially the same thing using the LB-2 with an Axe FxII. So encouragement is appropriate. I think FAS will do a better job than Two Notes. Now of course I would prefer to have a dedicated cab room with DynaMount robotic mic mounts and lots of choices in speakers and microphones, but until then.

I asked long ago for a reactive load in the Axe Fx. Cliff has offered essentially the same thing using the LB-2 with an Axe FxII. So encouragement is appropriate. I think FAS will do a better job than Two Notes. Now of course I would prefer to have a dedicated cab room with DynaMount robotic mic mounts and lots of choices in speakers and microphones, but until then.
That hardly answers why there is an assumption it will be "better". I mean I'm a big fan of Cliff's products but we're talking hardware that supports his software and particularly his software.
As I recall Cliff said the box proto sounds better than using a speaker coffin as load, which obvioysly is miising since the speakers interaction with the room is part if it. but that is just the same as claims of others to be the same curve as the impedance of a particular speaker in a particular cab. Which thinks of impedance as one specific snap shot of a specific input, it isn't dynamic and in reality impedance curves make only sense as waterfall or three dimensional.
As I said we'll see.

That hardly answers why there is an assumption it will be "better". I mean I'm a big fan of Cliff's products but we're talking hardware that supports his software and particularly his software.
As I recall Cliff said the box proto sounds better than using a speaker coffin as load, which obvioysly is miising since the speakers interaction with the room is part if it. but that is just the same as claims of others to be the same curve as the impedance of a particular speaker in a particular cab. Which thinks of impedance as one specific snap shot of a specific input, it isn't dynamic and in reality impedance curves make only sense as waterfall or three dimensional.
As I said we'll see.
Ed you are correct with each point. However, human beings are optimized to ignore hard truths and go with their "feelings" and preconceived notions. Telling Cliff that he makes the best gear (true or not) hopefully will inspire him to reach higher and provide that superior product. And when I win the lottery I will have a dedicated cab room with all the trimmings, and I'll still have some loadboxes too, tho I have to admit they wouldn't see much use!

Ed you are correct with each point. However, human beings are optimized to ignore hard truths and go with their "feelings" and preconceived notions. Telling Cliff that he makes the best gear (true or not) hopefully will inspire him to reach higher and provide that superior product. And when I win the lottery I will have a dedicated cab room with all the trimmings, and I'll still have some loadboxes too, tho I have to admit they wouldn't see much use!
Well that market is seemingly getting a lot of attention meaning hobbyst home recording is starting to be the only remaining bread and butter for gear makers...scary...
http://www.uaudio.com/ox

At $ 1299 ... :eek:
That's their suggested retail lol...
You know any load with line out for 300+ is hilarious enough as it is.

Sad part is that this niche market that is high end guitar gear is hanging on due to guys 30 on up til retirement age. Once that group is gone the market for hobbyst gadgets for the home recordist will have been completely replaced by iPad versions of the AxeFx...
I gotta say I get why Cliff made the Axe. The catering to "the practicing doctor/lawyer" with disposable gear money rather than getting the Ableton Live kids I don't get. But hey, not my circus, not my monkey.

Side note back like a decade ago I tried to get the load/speaker sim/audio interface happening... Just no one thought there be a market of analog front and digital back. Hilarious

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom