I'm a Mark V ignoramus - so give me a hand.

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I've been asked to send some samples of my guitar recorded with a Mark V model.

Well, try as I may, I can't get a tone that I like with this amp model. I have no problem getting good tone out of almost anything here, but the Mark V eludes me.

Anyone would like to send me a couple of edge of break up and lead presets? Or give me some pointers?

A Mark V model doesn't exist as far as I know. There are plenty of other Mark series models. Remember there are 9 chains in that amp and many are redundant. Tweed is a new mode as well as Extreme off the top of my head.

Very difficult to ascertain that he means - or will have to mean - the Mark IV. Maybe I should be in Mensa.

To OP: I'll be watching this thread. I find the USA models (Lead and Rhythm, both the Mark IV if I remember correctly) really flipping hard to get anything usable from.

Well right. There isn't a Mark V model. But I tried to get some good tones out of the USA Clean and Lead figuring that would be closest. And there's a bank of presets someone posted a while back which are TMA'ed with a MkV. Still sounds bad to my ears.

So are there any good Mark V-ish presets or recommendations?

The Mark V is essentially a collection of channels from earlier Boogie Mark series amps. This may help you get started with some of them.

Here's how I dial in this kind of amp (I am by no means an expert), assuming you're starting with an IR that's in the ballpark of the tone you're trying to achieve:

1. Back off the Master until the sound is so thin that you know the power amp is out of the distortion equation.
  2. Mess with Input Drive and Overdrive until you find a gain structure that suits you.
  3. Bring the Master back up, and listen to the tone get fatter. When it starts to flub out, you've gone too far.

Mark IIc+ and IV amps have a lot of bass and midrange response. You have to run the bass control very low, like 2 or so depending on how much bass your guitar and pickups have. It's a Fender style pre-gain tone stack, so it will get really farty with high gain if the bass knob is too high. The Boogie 5 band EQ makes all the difference with these amps too. Cut the bass with the knobs and add it back using the graphic EQ if it's too thin. Try Gain on 6, Overdrive on 7, Bass on 2, Mids on 4, Treble on 6, Presence on 3 and Master on 4. Set the EQ to the mark style 5 band and use a scooped V shape to even out the mids. Without the EQ, Boogies can sound a bit honky because they have a lot of mids. As stated above, don't go too high on the master either. Boogie amps generally get their tone from the preamp section and the power section runs fairly clean. Gets a bit wooly with the master up too high. Master set on 4 on a real Mark IV is LOUD! Pull Bright can get a bit ice picky on the lead channel too, so I'd avoid it unless your guitar is really dark sounding.

That's a pretty good bit of advice above. I have a real Mark V, and what Mr. Fender says is all true. There is a great video series on YouTube with John Pettrucci breaking down how to set up a Mark V in great detail. I think it's 3 videos, one for each channel if I remember right.

I use the USA Lead and Clean on the Axe, and I like them. They are not my go to's anymore though. Why are you being asked to send samples using a specific amp, especially if it's just a model of said amp? I'd send what sounds good. Are they really going to say "That's not a Mark V model?" How could they tell?

What tone are they after? I ask because a Mark V covers a LOT of ground.... It's a 3 channel amp, and each channel is very different.
I'd also check out some of the Petrucci/Dream Theater tones int he AxE recording and Tone Match forums. Lot's of great Mark tones in there.

The way Mark EQ's were explained to me (which makes the most sense to me) is that the EQ on the amp (bass / middle / treble) is not like a normal EQ. It's a pre-EQ, meaning its before the gain stages of the amp. So it works sort of like an EQ or boost pedal in front of the amp. That means, if you turn things up, you get more gain. The treble knob is almost like a 3rd gain knob (in addition to the 'Input Drive' and 'Overdrive' knobs, can't remember what they're called on the real deal). Use this EQ not for the sound of the amp, but for the feel of the amp. Low bass (0 to 2) is pretty much required in my book.

The Graphic EQ is then more like the EQ on a normal amp, as it is after the gain stages. The Marks are very, very middy amps, so the 'V shape', pulling down the center slider, is pretty much required (in my opinion). Then push up the lower sliders to taste, adding back in the bottom end you took out earlier, and adding in any brightness/treble you need.

Its actually a super flexible way to set up the EQ, I'm surprised no other modern amp builders use this setup with two EQ's. Maybe Mesa has a patent or something.

The Mark V's ARE different to their original amps, naturally, if you're interested in emulating the V specifically as close as possible, USA Lead Brt+ with the Presence Shift On is the nearest equivalent of the "Mk IV Mode". Presence Shift Off = Extreme Mode. Not sure about the IIC+ mode, I think it's IIC+ Bright.

Set the Overdrive to 8.00 with Fat and Bright On, and use Input Drive as your Gain. Then dial in as mentioned above.

Thanks guys.
I'll be trying these great tips out later today.
I really appreciate the knowledge shared here.

Boogie Mark amps are a bear to dial in. The key is to realize that the tone stack is before the distortion. Most high gain amps have the tone stack after the distortion. So what you do is adjust the tone controls to get the feel and clarity and don't really worry about the overall tone. Then you shape the tone with the EQ. As stated earlier lowering the bass is pretty much mandatory. Then add it back in with EQ.

That's a pretty good bit of advice above. I have a real Mark V, and what Mr. Fender says is all true. There is a great video series on YouTube with John Pettrucci breaking down how to set up a Mark V in great detail. I think it's 3 videos, one for each channel if I remember right.

I use the USA Lead and Clean on the Axe, and I like them. They are not my go to's anymore though. Why are you being asked to send samples using a specific amp, especially if it's just a model of said amp? I'd send what sounds good. Are they really going to say "That's not a Mark V model?" How could they tell?

What tone are they after? I ask because a Mark V covers a LOT of ground.... It's a 3 channel amp, and each channel is very different.
I'd also check out some of the Petrucci/Dream Theater tones int he AxE recording and Tone Match forums. Lot's of great Mark tones in there.

The point is they wanted to hear what a guitar I am selling would sound like with their Mark V. It was a fair request since I posted I could provide samples with just about any amp model. I didn't know at the time that I sucked at getting a tone with a boogie! :)

Hey Pat, when you've dialed up something you like, post it here.

Can't really say I like it a lot but it's usable now: Got a few minutes this afternoon to mess with the recommendations above. I'm sure much better can be done, but here's a quick and dirty (and clam-y) test of the USA lead.

Can't really say I like it a lot but it's usable now: Got a few minutes this afternoon to mess with the recommendations above. I'm sure much better can be done, but here's a quick and dirty (and clam-y) test of the USA lead.
You're right. You've got some useful sounds, though they don't grab me. Needs a bit more upper mids, I think, and a bit less low end in the higher-gain tone. Sounds like a gain stage might be getting pushed beyond its optimal range. Someone with more experience on this model might be able to give more concrete suggestions. Thanks for posting it.

You're right. You've got some useful sounds, though they don't grab me. Needs a bit more upper mids, I think, and a bit less low end in the higher-gain tone. Sounds like a gain stage might be getting pushed beyond its optimal range. Someone with more experience on this model might be able to give more concrete suggestions. Thanks for posting it.

Right. This is actually just one setting and just messing with the volume knob and pickup selector. I know what you mean by pushing a gain stage. I was trying for a "metal" kind of sound (not my territory normally) but I suspect that metal players use less gain and a drive pedal in front. Not really sure.

I also tried to get a good clean tone with the USA clean. This is just too clean for me. Pretty sterile.
I'd love to hear samples from people who know how to dial in this amp well.

Back
Top Bottom