I changed strings recently, now the guitar only performs half step bends on the G string

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I’ve attached a video of the problem. I’ll play a note on the G string and then go back to frets to bend to that pitch (whole step bend). It won’t sound right. It’s only a half step sound even though I’m bending a whole step. I’ll also do the same thing on the B string and it will sound correct (I’ll give it a thumbs up). I’ll do unison bends at the end of the video with the G and B strings and you’ll hear they don’t sound correct because of the G string. I’ll play the G chord and G string open and you’ll hear they are in tune.

I can do whole step bends on other guitars and they all sound just fine.

all springs are fine I checked. I’ve tried 2 different g strings, same problem.

Neal Schon Les Paul my favorite. 2005 or 2006. As heavy as a tank but feels great.

What gauge string are you putting on the G and is it the same size as you were using before? It kind of looks like your G string saddle is pretty far back compared to the rest of your saddles, so I wonder about the intonation and setup in general. Is the G string slipping at the locking nut? If you push on that string behind the nut, does it change the pitch of the open string at all?

Last edited:
Your bridge has to be moving a lot. Don’t know what else it could be. Maybe lock it down for down only trem.

If you're being serious and not trolling, then here it goes.
You are not performing a full step bend on the G string. A full step bend on ANY string is exactly what it sounds like, bending the string note one full step (usually, and in this case, sharp). The distance the string travels to achieve that pitch is irrelevant to the definition of a whole step bend. Keep pushing on that string, and you'll get to your full step pitch.
If you however aren't trolling, and feel like you have to bend too far, your only option is to stiffen the thing up. Easily done with a floating trem like yours up to a point. More/beefier springs, proper setup, and to a degree the frets could need addressing if you start choking out at the tail end of a bend.

Also, if you could shoot the video with your hand away from the bridge as you bend the G and hold it for a bit longer and get as close as you can while maintaining focus. Also, a shot showing the locking nut area and the whole peg head might yield some clues.

Is the fine tuner mechanism setup properly on the G string?

If you're being serious and not trolling, then here it goes.
You are not performing a full step bend on the G string. A full step bend on ANY string is exactly what it sounds like, bending the string note one full step (usually, and in this case, sharp). The distance the string travels to achieve that pitch is irrelevant to the definition of a whole step bend. Keep pushing on that string, and you'll get to your full step pitch.
If you however aren't trolling, and feel like you have to bend too far, your only option is to stiffen the thing up. Easily done with a floating trem like yours up to a point. More/beefier springs, proper setup, and to a degree the frets could need addressing if you start choking out at the tail end of a bend.
I dont know. It does seem like the pitch is falling away rapidly as he bends closer to the whole step. As if something is slipping.

However, I need to see a better view to confirm if the bridge is giving as he bends. It would seem it would show itself on the other strings more readily if it was a stiffness issue.

To your point it would be nice see what’s going on with the springs also.

Do you have a guitar repair person or luthier located in your neighborhood or town? Seems like this is something that a competent tech could isolate and repair fairly quickly. Problems like this are difficult to diagnose on a discussion forum. You originally posted about this almost 2 weeks ago. Possibly could have had this fixed and be back playing by now. Just saying, you know?

Just my humble opinion.

Like everyone else, anxious to hear what the problem is once it is discovered. Good luck!

Just push the G string a little bit further. Do not expect to get the same result by applying the same force to all the strings.

If I bend the G string by pushing it as much as I do with the B string, I get exactly the same result as in your video: an out-of-tune pitch. Push a little bit more, and you will get a perfect 1 step tone. C'mon, you can do it!

You can also hold the trem-bar while you bend

Last edited:
I think you actually put different gauge strings on than what was on before. So now your trem springs are putting a different amount of "counter-tension" on your bends than what you're used to. Those springs need to be readjusted, and they're causing some of your problem, which is essentially- you're just not bending the note far enough, which needs to be further than what you were previously used to.

That's my educated guess.

Sounds and looks like G string is wound. It will not stretch a whole step.
Look at reflections on e and b strings which are lacking on G and the rest of the strings.

He is not sure if the G string is wound or not. Has been asked several times, but not yet confirmed.

I don’t think the G string on those are wound. But I’m not sure what I had on there before. I believe the E A and D strings are not bending a whole pitch either but those are rarely bent a whole step but to my ear those aren’t bending the whole step. The high e and b bend fine.

@JohnBee could you confirm that? It is an important detail.

And if it is really unwound, try post #51

Last edited:
Man admittedly my eyesight is going bad due to macular degeneration and I was one of, if not the first person to mention whether the string was wound because I use flat wounds on a arch top with a wound G and yes that is exactly how they react. However, for life of me I can’t see well enough and the video quality is too low to make out the G string at all. I’m viewing on small screen so that could be part of it.

Anyway, if this is the case that definitely solves the problem. I keep going back and forth whether to put an unwound on the G string of my arch top so I can bend it more easily, but like the smooth sound of the wound in that particular set up. Definitely would be problematic on a Floyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom