I changed strings recently, now the guitar only performs half step bends on the G string

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of electric guitarists don't use wound thirds, maybe not 1% but really? Even a lot of heavy gauge sets use a plain 3rd these days.

This. A wound G string on a modern electric guitar is pretty rare these days. Much more common on Acoustic guitars or flatwounds. Unwound/Plain G has been the standard for electric sets for well over 30 years.

The wound G string is something we definitely didn't have in the beginning for information. That is the culprit.

This thread has been another reminder to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. There are some suggestions on this thread to fix the issue that absolutely will not fix this issue and would actually cause a different issue to happen along side of this issue.

The wound G string is something we definitely didn't have in the beginning for information. That is the culprit.

This thread has been another reminder to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. There are some suggestions on this thread to fix the issue that absolutely will not fix this issue and would actually cause a different issue to happen along side of this issue.

It has been asked on page 2(see post #22) but didn’t get a clear answer from the OP.

I know about people using an unwound G. The issue was a wild guess of 99% being presented as some sort of real data.
I thought my use of 99% was a clear indication as to be a very slightly exaggerated GUESS to approximate the actual/real world scale of use. I'll bet it is close to accurate- I don't even know that many Jazz guitarists that use wound 3rds any more.

There are some suggestions on this thread to fix the issue that absolutely will not fix this issue and would actually cause a different issue to happen along side of this issue.
ah.."suggestions" is the key word there - in the absense of complete information, suggestions are offered as possible solutions in different possible scenarios - it would be up to the op who has access to the complete info and/or has the ability to do testing in order to eliminate possibilities, to assess (or have assessed) which suggestions could be applicable. The more info that can be provided as early as possible into any given issue thread, the greater the possibility of focused suggestions that will hit the solution target.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry I really didn't intend this post to be so long. They are D'Addario strings. the box says nickle wound. I'm not sure what that means about the G string. It was at one point set up for 9's and I asked a tech to set it up for 10's, I believe. Can't be 100% sure. So i've been using 10's. That could be the problem. I'm taking it to a guitar tech in a couple of weeks. I want this particular guitar place to work on it and they are booked out, I had to reserve a spot in line.

What is the reference at the D'Addario box? Can you post a picture? That may help to know if the G string is wound o not.

Otherwise, this may help you to identify if it is wound or unwound:

https://www.fuelrocks.com/the-difference-between-wound-and-unwound-guitar-strings/

The change from 09's to 10's shouldn't be a problem. You just have to adjust the force of you fingers accordingly, as a thicker string may need more force to bend

Sorry for the delay. the g string is NOT wound. It is just like the B and High E string. Just a wire. No windings around the string.

Also, I played an open A and later an open Bass E string as I bent the G note. The open notes didn’t change pitch at all. That tells me the bridge is not moving. Someone here suggested that test thanks.

someone here had a theory that putting 10s on a guitar set up for 9s could cause this Effect. I’ve used 9s and 10s on that guitar and others with little or no effect as I’m sure everyone here has. But this is a Les Paul with a bridge. Kinda unique. Maybe most of the time it isn’t an issue but finally it became an issue. The 10s are maybe putting more pressure on the bridge and springs and so the 10s are somehow looser. Making bending too easy. I don’t know. Just a thought I believe someone here said that and it made sense to me.

Also, I played an open A and later an open Bass E string as I bent the G note. The open notes didn’t change pitch at all. That tells me the bridge is not moving. Someone here suggested that test thanks.
That test will only show what does or doesn't happen to the whole Floyd. But it won't show you if something is happening to ONLY the 3rd string saddle. And we can't quite see that on the video either. Does the 3rd string saddle move, eg sideways, when you bend the string sideways, for example?

I think this guy's trolling or really can't tell whether the G is wound.

Watch the 3rd string as bright spots from lighting move around on the 1st & 2nd strings in that video he posted. Compare this to basically any other video of someone playing electric guitar.

glare.jpg

Either you need to bend that g string higher or somehow that string/saddle is slipping but ending up back in tune. What happens if you bend a tone and a half?

lordy!, this was odd, now it's juss plain bizarre. Personally, I'd pull on the damn string till it either hit the note or broke - my guess is it'd hit the note n show me what's goin on. But that's just me - I get the feeling, in yur case, you should avoid the futzing, switch to yur backup Ax, n wait for your tech.

Last edited:
He has already answered that it is not a wound g.
There are no reflections on the G string at the 4th fret as are on the B and E strings which indicates it's likely a wound string.

The feel may be different and not what he's used to, which is probably what he's experiencing, but if bent further the string would reach the correct pitch. In the video, the first attempt to bend from F# to G gets closer to the correct full step pitch but stops short of the amount of bend necessary. Second attempt is a smaller bend and of course falls short of the desired pitch.

ah.."suggestions" is the key word there - in the absense of complete information, suggestions are offered as possible solutions in different possible scenarios - it would be up to the op who has access to the complete info and/or has the ability to do testing in order to eliminate possibilities, to assess (or have assessed) which suggestions could be applicable. The more info that can be provided as early as possible into any given issue thread, the greater the possibility of focused suggestions that will hit the solution target.
I am not calling specifics out because I am not trying to start any arguments. The things I am referring to tell me that the person suggesting it has never done a setup on a guitar with a floating trem. They are giving wrong information that will cause other setup issues. These are things that shouldn't even be suggestions because they are fundamentally wrong.

I am not calling specifics out because I am not trying to start any arguments. The things I am referring to tell me that the person suggesting it has never done a setup on a guitar with a floating trem. They are giving wrong information that will cause other setup issues. These are things that shouldn't even be suggestions because they are fundamentally wrong.
Not sure how how we'd know what suggestions are fundamentally wrong, and/or what suggestions def won't solve the issue, when neither the full nature of the issue nor its source has yet been derermined. Afaik, there's no minimum standard of expertise imposed on issue thread responses (thankfully), so OPs going DIY can reasonablly expect a range. Sometimes a less experiened observer can spot a problem others won't (forest for the trees n all that).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom