I changed strings recently, now the guitar only performs half step bends on the G string

Status
Not open for further replies.
hit an open A string, bend your G string (no need to strike it), see if bending G the string makes the A drop in pitch. Easy way to see if your floating floyd is causing it.

michael jackson mj GIF

It is possible that bending the string is causing enough tension that the bridge is fighting you? On a Floyd Rose, there are a couple of solutions. You can bring the outer two springs in forming a kind of V, this will increase spring tension slightly. The springs could be worn and are not retaining enough back tension. You could add more springs. A lot of Floyds only use 3 springs, but most can take up to 5.

Does this mean you're using a wound G string? If so, have you always used a wound G string? Switching between a wound and plain G string can make a big difference on bends.

It makes a HUGE difference. A wound G has a smaller core than a plain G, with lower tension. In other words, it’s more “elastic” and will not bend to a new pitch nearly as quickly as a plain string will.

Maybe a term spring came loose while changing strings. I would think though if this happened you would see a difference in bridge angle when strings are tuned to pitch.

Distance is irrelevant anyway because there are so many things that change it from one guitar to the next.

Sorry for the delay everyone. So I tried playing an open A string while bending the G. The A stays in tune. So probably not the bridge moving. I usually use daddario strings. I don’t think the G string on those are wound. But I’m not sure what I had on there before. I believe the E A and D strings are not bending a whole pitch either but those are rarely bent a whole step but to my ear those aren’t bending the whole step. The high e and b bend fine.

the only thing I can think of is if the guitar was setup for 9s and I put 10s on it. Maybe this is causing it. I had the guitar set up for 9s but I thought I had the guitar tech re-set it back for 10s but maybe I’m wrong. It feels like the G string bends too easy if that makes sense. Like not enough resistance, therefore the flat bend. I’m taking it to a really good place but I can‘t get in till May 1. I live in Austin tx, lots of musicians.

I could just throw 9s on it but I’m tired of wasting new strings trying to figure this out. It probably needs a new set up anyway.

Sorry for the delay everyone. So I tried playing an open A string while bending the G. The A stays in tune. So probably not the bridge moving. I usually use daddario strings. I don’t think the G string on those are wound. But I’m not sure what I had on there before. I believe the E A and D strings are not bending a whole pitch either but those are rarely bent a whole step but to my ear those aren’t bending the whole step. The high e and b bend fine.

the only thing I can think of is if the guitar was setup for 9s and I put 10s on it. Maybe this is causing it. I had the guitar set up for 9s but I thought I had the guitar tech re-set it back for 10s but maybe I’m wrong. It feels like the G string bends too easy if that makes sense. Like not enough resistance, therefore the flat bend. I’m taking it to a really good place but I can‘t get in till May 1. I live in Austin tx, lots of musicians.

I could just throw 9s on it but I’m tired of wasting new strings trying to figure this out. It probably needs a new set up anyway.
It feels like we're missing something from the symptoms.

I'd think another guitar player with a bit of experience would be able to confirm the problem if they had hands-on.

I’m not sure what symptoms this would cause, but could you have put the strings on in the wrong position(s)? Also, post some close photos of the guitar around the bridge and of the neck like you were checking string height and relief might be helpful.

Sorry everyone I tried making a video but it looks like to share the video it has to be on a media sharing site like instagram or something. I thought I could just drop it in here. I kept getting errors. I don't have any sharing sites. I've never posted a video or any media here before. Is there another way to share a video?

My person who does setups will be seeing the guitar soon. I will report back. I'm almost positive its just an adjustment that is needed.

Sorry everyone I tried making a video but it looks like to share the video it has to be on a media sharing site like instagram or something. I thought I could just drop it in here. I kept getting errors. I don't have any sharing sites. I've never posted a video or any media here before. Is there another way to share a video?

My person who does setups will be seeing the guitar soon. I will report back. I'm almost positive its just an adjustment that is needed.
You can create a YouTube account and upload it there. Make sure it's marked as public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom