I am so tired to the Tube Vs Axe FxII debate.

immortal_soloist

Power User
Seriously guys,
No matter how good the Axe FxII gets people still argue that tubes are better than the Axe FxII... Honestly at this point the Axe FxII is head to head with tube amps. Some of the stuff on the Axe to me even sounds better than some of the tube amps it models.

I saw people debating on the Guthrie Govan video,Tom Quyale gave a fantastic demonstration of the Axe FxII,tons of virtuosos admit that the Axe FxII is a fantastic piece of gear. I don't need any convincing,I own this thing and absolutely love it and know it's potential.

I see people on youtube now claiming they have tube amps and an Axe FxII and that is sounds great but is still not better than the real thing. And then you go to these people's pages on youtube and they don't even have a single video of their playing. I mean seriously it's like people are purposefully biased.

It's getting pathetic now. Anyhow I was just annoyed so I thought I would share this with my Fractal family

Cheers.

I no longer let it get to me.. each to their own. :)
I view it as being their loss.... not mine.
I use the AxeII on both guitar and bass gigs, and ignore "guitar players" in the audience who walk up and want to trash-talk "tube vs AxeII". My simple response to them is to come back at the end of the night after they have listened to the Axe and we can talk about it. Most give it a set, then realize there's nothing to discuss :D

I no longer let it get to me.. each to their own. :)
I view it as being their loss.... not mine.
I use the AxeII on both guitar and bass gigs, and ignore "guitar players" in the audience who walk up and want to trash-talk "tube vs AxeII". My simple response to them is to come back at the end of the night after they have listened to the Axe and we can talk about it. Most give it a set, then realize there's nothing to discuss :D
You're right brother,that's a good way to handle them I suppose. What just baffles me at times is,there are all these virtuosos showing them the endless possibilities of the unit yet their ears tend to be so ignorant.

But you are right not bothering about them is the key to live in peace :D

The worst is when you hear the comparisons on youtube and people say the axefx sounds way off and "digital" but if you look at the method of recording the amp is going through a cab and mic and axe fx is direct, of course they will sound different the ideal comparison should use a loadbox on the amp go through a separate interface on both and use the same cab impulse.

Those types of discussions tend to be about objective decisions on subjective (and emotional/very personal) preferences. i enjoy my tube amps and i enjoy my axe fx ii.
That's the right and balanced attitude that you have.
and I hate the fact how when I wrote quickly I made an error on the subject it should have been "I am so tiered of the Tube Vs Axe FxII debate" LOL oh well.

The worst is when you hear the comparisons on youtube and people say the axefx sounds way off and "digital" but if you look at the method of recording the amp is going through a cab and mic and axe fx is direct, of course they will sound different the ideal comparison should use a loadbox on the amp go through a separate interface on both and use the same cab impulse.
+1 absolutely agreed.

I would suggest not to take this kind of talking too heartfully, or even personnally. You must always keep in mind that as soon as you make something interesting artistically wise, you will have to deal with envy and jealousy. Don't try to prove anything, just be the proof yourself in playing your best, with inspiring and majestic tone. Your smile will let people come to you with a totally different state of mind. Try it, and our guitar familly will grow happier...

You're right brother,that's a good way to handle them I suppose. What just baffles me at times is,there are all these virtuosos showing them the endless possibilities of the unit yet their ears tend to be so ignorant.

But you are right not bothering about them is the key to live in peace :D
I think it's the whole "my XXXX is better than yours" thing... or larger, faster, sleeker, smoother, curvier, cooler, hotter, smarter, sexier, etc..
Anyone would think these guys are talking about women :eek:

I would suggest not to take this kind of talking too heartfully, or even personnally. You must always keep in mind that as soon as you make something interesting artistically wise, you will have to deal with envy and jealousy. Don't try to prove anything, just be the proof yourself in playing your best, with inspiring and majestic tone. Your smile will let people come to you with a totally different state of mind. Try it, and our guitar familly will grow happier...
That's sound advice right there. Absolutely agreed.

I think it's the whole "my XXXX is better than yours" thing... or larger, faster, sleeker, smoother, curvier, cooler, hotter, smarter, sexier, etc..
Anyone would think these guys are talking about women :eek:
HAHAHAH :D yea it's like all of them are dating a batch of gorgeous models and the dudes are having a competition about why their hot chick is better than the other guys hot chick LOL. It's ridiculous.

Dude, you just gotta just let people believe what they want, they might come around they might not. Most people always try to justify their purchases, so their device will always be the best until its not.

I get in a stuper sometimes, because i get amazed by this technology, to think this type of technology hasn't really existed in this state before to this level to this precise ness. I feel like we are in this grass roots project, and our job is to enjoy our purchase and to scream at mountain tops to let peple know, that the device you have been looking for is here, it's real and it really does what it says it does.

When I first got it, I had this stupid little laugh, that I just couldn't shake. After playing a few chords I realized pretty quickly that this didn't sound like a typical digital device, it had this warmth and grit and no digital aliasing that I had heard so many times before. Soon i became addicted to this thing, because it had finally fulfilled a purpose in my music part of my life. It's not just an amp processor or effects rack, it has become a grass roots movement, a brotherhood, a desire to help make it better. You look at all the artists on the artist page, they are professional musicians I am not, but we all have the same goal, and that's to help make this the best product that it can be. I am probably like you not a programmer that does dsp programming, but what we are, are fractal evangelists spreading the word that, yes you can have a device that sounds every bit as good as any amp that has ever existed. And You know that is a pretty cool thing.

My operating theory is just that folks like to bicker. The topic doesn't really matter, the truth of the discussion doesn't really matter. Just some entitled sense of being 'right" at all costs.

You'll see the progression of negative behavior cycling from the "thing", to the 'idea' to attacks on the people involved all in order to 'win' some sort of forced and very singular reality. It is a cycle that repeats and repeats, creating it's own meme's that get repeated over and over ad nauseum.

One key that I always repeat as a mantra is that the more personal it gets, the less personal you can take it.

Real life is nothing like what you see online.

Meh.

Those types of discussions tend to be about objective decisions on subjective (and emotional/very personal) preferences. i enjoy my tube amps and i enjoy my axe fx ii.
Bingo. I actually bought a tube amp and cab not too long ago and I still love my axe fx. They're both great.

A lot of these people who buy the axe fx and then stick their thumb at it expect instant magic and the pant flapping power from either headphones or small reference speakers which isn't realistic. But I think the biggest reason people who buy a lot of high end gear and thumb their nose at it later is because they simply suck as musicians and high end gear (tube or axe) will reveal that.

Then they go back to their crappy combo that's been dropped down a flight of stairs and has the grill cut like swiss cheese and proclaim that It's better and companies are overcharging for bad amps. Or they go back to tube because they like the amp in the room sound and whatever else can be said is said.

again their loss, as the youth says "whateva". Let em break their backs lugging around the stuff, let em constantly buy and audition hundreds of dollars of tubes, let em lug around thousands of patch cables for effects, THEIR LOSS. and PS Michael Jordan could beat most people in his bare feet or a 10 dollar payless pair of shoes; at the end of the day its the best players that stand out, not their equipment.

I have still both.But he tubes have sentimental reasons and sometimes you need it.

But the discussion is as often mentione here just to prove that water is wet with subjective non controlable arguments.

Point for many of them is that the gear which offsets the lack of talent ,skill and practice time is not yet invented.And the one " I " must be best- usually it is for yourself for some time,but unlikely for long.

My longest satisfaction periods are in this time order my:

74 Vibro Champ
G&L Comanche
Axe FX2

The "2" may life up/endure) to the Champ ,but one day there will be a 3

Roland

Last edited:
Axe crusades are very draining for the most part due to the disagreements. When you have people Aa-nd musicians alike coming up to you complimenting your tone, (unbeknownst to them it's an Axe)... well the rest is just semantics and hair splitting. At this point of the technology who cares anymore when your an Axe or a Kemper owner. Just keep letting the tone do the talking for you. And it's as simple as that, (if you want it to be). Period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom