I am so tired to the Tube Vs Axe FxII debate.

You must use Nebula Vector special program to run the cab emulation and other effects they offer.
Acustica-Audio.com
I'M not sure if it's possible to integrate their technology in the Axe-FX but everytime I compare a normal cab impulse with one made Nebula program, the Nebula one always sound the best to me.
Instead of just static snapshots of an EQ curve, or linear reverb decay, imagine the impulses including distortion, harmonics, variation depending on input etc. This is what Nebula does. It attempts to simulate analogue gear with the utmost attention to detail paid to the recreation.

Here's a nice post comparing Nebula program vs Cab Impulse vs Miced Cab
Part 3 of "The ultimate IR, NEBULA, REAL DEAL test" - Ultimate Metal Forum

Nebula program sound more realistic and rich in harmonics
Thanks for sharing these shall be checking the links out. Well where there is room for improvement,I am sure it shall be done. Would like Cliff's take on this.

Ok I’ll jump in.

Is there (or was there) a difference between tubes and digital? Yes I believe so.

Can we identify the difference? Not so much.

About 3 years ago a group of my guitar playing friends got together for our semi-annual “Tone-Fest” We all bring our favorite tube amps and guitars and have an all day session of jamming and comparing amps. I brought my 64 Super Reverb, Plexi and I believe I had my Badger 18 Combo at the time, not sure. One of the group who is a recording engineer wanted to challenge us to compare digital to tubes. He set up a screen so we couldn’t see the setup we were playing through and hooked up an A/B box to switch us back and forth.

Now I must say that these are some players I really respect including one who designs, builds and swears by boutique tube amps. Could we hear a difference? Yes, but we could not identify which was which. We were wrong as often as we were right and that included when we were actually playing the guitar so that feel was accounted for.

I think this may answer the question why we have this conflict with people who can hear a difference and those that can’t tell them apart. Both are true. In our case we could definitely hear something was changing but could not consistently identify tube vs digital.

This demonstration caused me to eventually purchase an AxeFx Ultra and then an AxeFx II. I’ll get the AxeFx 3, 4 & 5 when they come out.

The interesting thing is that some of those tube purists who were at the Tone-Fest and mistakenly identified digital as tubes are still telling me that the Axe is great but not quite there yet. Ok.

Now maybe this is why the AxeFx can keep improving when it’s already supposedly arrived. I don’t really know.

I do know this. The guy that makes boutique tube amps and yet could not consistently tell one from the other (along with the rest of us) still insists that tube amps are better. Huh?

I believe that the advances in modeling threaten both his beliefs in old technology and probably more importantly his future job, however I think people will be buying tubes amps for a very long time and he doesn’t need to worry about the market drying up.

As for the comment regarding capacitors holding a charge and this preventing digital from replicating analog systems. I respectfully disagree. I am a programmer and although I know nothing about how the Axe is programmed it would be possible to program a digital system to replicate the capacitive storage of energy. As a matter of fact you could exceed what a capacitor does. You could store more energy than a capacitor does and for a longer period of time, infinitely actually (rebooting being the exception). It could then release that stored virtual energy when required based on some parameter such as a transient like an aggressive pick attack. As of for the percentages of output you could simply make 25% appear as 100% and be able to jump to 400%. This is really just a numbers game and of no real absolute meaning.

Digital systems have the potential to exceed analog systems and I believe they have in many ways although not all. The adjectives we all know have or will eventually be exceeded, more rubbery or less, more bloom or less, more headroom or less, more chime or less and on and on.

For the record I love my AxeFx II and think it’s the way of the future. I also love my Suhr Badger, which I leave at my practice location and often use for practice purposes rather than bring my Axe. Although I’ll eventually sell my Badger, for now I enjoy the simplicity.

Don’t hate me, I agree with both sides.
Really well written and explained. Thanks for the detailed and informative input.
Appreciate it :) exactly some people just don't get rid of their biased opinions and actually be open minded.

I say let 'em keep their tubes!* That just makes me more unique and marketable as a guitarist - I have ten times the tonal palette of a traditional rig, at a third the size at any volume, direct or mic'd FRFR or guitar cab, and the sounds are indistinguishable from the real thing.

* I still have a few tubes, too. :)

Totally agreed with you and it's good to still have some of your old gear as well. Nothing wrong with that,what's good is both these technologies are standing head to head and being used professionally for recordings and live. The debate is deteriorating and hopefully one day people would stop being biased and actually see and hear digital's true potential.

For me, going FAS took me into an entirely different direction. Before FAS, I was checking/reading up lots of gear to see if they would benefit my rig setup/wishes. Which means amps, cabs, effects, midi controllers and whatever. After going FAS (first Ultra then II), I´ve lost pretty much all interest in checking gear up. Not because of the sound, but first and foremost the flexibility it offers. It pretty much cured that very time-consuming internet scorching activity I had in the past...

FWIW, I still have my old rig. I still have my Ultra. And I also have the II. A former colleague (from when I worked in a music store), were very interested in my opinion on whether the seemingly small differencies between Ultra and II really are worth it. And how (both) compares to each other and real amps. My response were pretty much: whatever sparks your creativity in making great music/sound (that at least you´ll like yourself) is the tool to be used. In the end: does it really matter WHICH tool that is?

It´s kinda like asking which kind/brand of guitar is best to writing good music? Hint: just pick one...

My old rig can´t be fully replicated in Ultra nor II. Yet my Ultra can do things my old rig can´t. And as well: my II can do things my old rig nor Ultra can´t. And finally: the II can´t do everything I hear in my head, that doesn´t stop me from using any of it. Use what you can or want to use.

Which "tool" is the best: the biggest, the oldest, the newest, the future or your own creativity?
I don´t know/care, I´m in for the music... so I use them all!

/Mike

I think the technologie is there. The problem is that amplification for the axe to get to the next level is not up to par imho. frfr doesn't do it for me I need that in room amp sound for what I do and I have compared power amp and cab to an actual boutique tube amp and liked the tube amp better. Thats after comparing them with some other players whos oppinion and playing i really respect. However for recording I like the axe as much if not better, it's a cleaner and fatter sounding because you're not relying on microphone placement and dealing with the ineficiencys of the microphones. It's close but for live I would rather bring a tube amp and use the axe for fx, it sounds amazing to my ears. Maybe fractal will come up with a better platform and the axe will surpass the tube amp, the capability is there but untill that time,I will use my red plate black loop combo for live and enjoy the recording capability of the amp sims.

Last edited:
To each his own and that is a fair statement you've made. It depends from person to person though. Well The Matrix Power Amp has certainly closed that gap pretty much and the Atomic CLRs will definitely bring some breath of fresh air,I heard Matrix is working on one as well.

Last edited:
This is something that will not happen with your head phones.

The Axe-FX II does it's job. Very, very well and then some. But if you really want the total "Tube experience" you may need to stop looking solely at the AFX and direct your attention to the PA section of your rig. We have a concerted assembly consisting of several components which work harmoniously together. Your experience is the result of the whole of these components.

I would never say that Headphones gets you the Full Tube Experience. That gets into the whole Near Field vs Far Field problem.
I have a Good PA and QSC Monitors on Stage Cranked up nice and Loud!
That gets me the Full Tube Experience. The Dynamics, Picking Nuances, they're all there.
Kicking up a good Fender Deluxe Reverb and Soloing, Just Awesome.
Marshall JTM45 and JVM, Roll up my Expression Pedal and I don't want to Stop the Solo "Every Song deserves a 10 Minute Solo... LOL"

Back
Top Bottom